Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Whirlpool Refrigerator/Freezer problem

We are 4 weeks into a 7 week trip and I have a problem with the Whirlpool refrigerator freezer in my 2016 DSDP.

From what I could find on previous IRV2 posts, it appears the drain line going from the coil to the pan beneath the freezer is either frozen or blocked causing water to backup and leak into the bottom of the freezer forming sheets of ice. The problem is not the ice maker or water dispenser as I've have the water line to the refrigerator turned off in the basement for some time. We discovered the issue about a week ago when we found water on the floor under the refrigerator and in the adjacent cabinets. I ended up chipping 1/2" of ice off the bottom of the freezer to get it cleaned up.

Since repair at this point in the trip with a freezer full of food is not an option I am managing the problem by placing a dish towel on the floor of the freezer to catch the water. Once the water freezes I pop loose the frozen towel and replace it with a dry one. I am currently doing this twice daily. This really makes cleanup quick and easy. I haven't had any leaks or the need to chip ice since I started using the towels. This is FYI in case someone else finds themselves with a similar problem.

Unless someone has a suggestion on a way to address this without turning off and emptying the freezer, the repair will have to wait until I get home and can get access to the back of the refrigerator.

Any input is appreciated.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	214175  
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

I had the same issue, turned out to be the duckbill on the drain line. I just had the dealer take care of it since I have an extended service plan. What you might want to try is to pour some hot water with Dawn or something to break up the goop that is keeping the duckbill from opening. I don't know if you might be able to get an air hose in there to blast it open
They have a new design for the duckbill now, or you can just put a V cut in it and it will prevent it from sticking together.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I had the same issue, turned out to be the duckbill on the drain line. I just had the dealer take care of it since I have an extended service plan. What you might want to try is to pour some hot water with Dawn or something to break up the goop that is keeping the duckbill from opening. I don't know if you might be able to get an air hose in there to blast it open

They have a new design for the duckbill now, or you can just put a V cut in it and it will prevent it from sticking together.

Thanks for the info. At this point, I am going to wait until I get home before trying to do any repair.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We had similar problem when ours was 6 months old. We were back at Nappanee for warranty work so they fixed that as well turns out the ice maker needed a deflector to keep water in the maker. Works fine now.
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post

Did the dealer have to pull the frig out to do this fix? I have the same problem and thought I had it fixed by clearing the drain from the front. It is now freezing up again. I really am hoping not to have to pull the frig.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a design defect and Whirlpool has a replacement trap to go in place of the duckbill. It must be installed from the rear in the compressor compartment. The duckbill was supposed to prevent humid air from being drawn into the freezer compartment. Instead it freezes up and prevents water from getting out during a defrost cycle. You can generally clear the duckbill with warm or hot water from the bottom of the freezer compartment, but the new replacement is not that easy.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recently had the same issue with the my home refrigerator. Here is a good video of the problem / solution.

https://youtu.be/H_DKNtgd5vI
Old 08-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
Did the dealer have to pull the frig out to do this fix? I have the same problem and thought I had it fixed by clearing the drain from the front. It is now freezing up again. I really am hoping not to have to pull the frig.
It's my understanding that the dealer arranged with the local appliance guy to come over , after they moved the refer away from the wall
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

i had the exact same issue on my 16 DSDP. 2 bolts at the bottom of the fridge either 4 or 6 screws at the top i made an extension of about 16" to get to them pulled the fridge out cover off the back and cut a little off the duckbill so water would drain and no issues since did not have to empty fridge
walterhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

Apparently whirlpool has replaced the duckbill drain with a new P-trap design.

Found this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/jCdJsMDWjUE

I am going to give this a shot when I get back home and can get access to the back of the refrigerator.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

Anyone that has pulled the refrigerator from the cabinet on a newer Dutch Star, where are the bolts on the bottom, I see the screws on top. Looks like the wood trim piece needs to be removed as well. Planning on pulling the unit and doing the P-trap upgrade.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowntown View Post
Anyone that has pulled the refrigerator from the cabinet on a newer Dutch Star, where are the bolts on the bottom, I see the screws on top. Looks like the wood trim piece needs to be removed as well. Planning on pulling the unit and doing the P-trap upgrade.

Remove the plastic cover at the base of the freezer and you should see one or two screws through metal brackets on the refrigerator going through the tile and into the sub base floor. My coach only has one screw holding the base.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #13

I’ll get out there and check it out, thanks for the info.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #14

there are 2 bolts on the bottom that bolt the fridge to a bracket that is attached to the bottom of the fridge opening one on each side
walterhess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator