Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Watch out for Splendide dryer

We have a Splendide washer (ARWXF129W) and dryer (TVM63X) pair which were purchased new about a year ago and installed by Newmar service department. (Newmar did a fabulous job installing them, BTW). The washer has worked great since the beginning, but the dryer has been a real problem. We've had to replace the motor twice already and the third one is acting up now. The first motor failed outright, apparently due to dry bearings, and the second was replaced after it started making a laboring grating noise. Do a Google search for "Splendide dryer noise" to get educated. Again, the Splendide washer has worked great, no problems.

It sounds to me like the best option is to go with a Splendide washer and a Whirlpool dryer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #44

We had same problem with our 2015 DSDP4369 so the problem goes further back than anybody mentioned. My friend who is a certified Maytag/Whirlpool tech had me run 3-4 cycles with nothing in washer to clean out soap residue. He changed out latch as well as switch in door. That didn't work either so I had read somewhere about placing a felt sticky pad about the size of a quarter(like you would put on chair legs and furniture) on the door next to the latch. This puts pressure on the latch and makes it latch/close tighter. That has worked for way over a yr. Just an hr ago it went back to it's old habit. DW put it in empty wash to clear out soap residue and worked correctly next wash. I know a front load washer is the only way to go with this application but when asked my repairman what he thought of front end washers, his response was "if you want to keep me as a friend, don't buy one. Even the high end ones are JUNK."
Old 02-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
Once again my Whirlpool washer has gone home to the Whirlpool mother ship. I have called Whirlpool, what a joke. You would think if they have the guts to sell something as bad as this they would have customer service to help troubleshoot. I have emailed Newmar two days ago and have not heard back. You would think if they have the guts to install something this bad, they too would be willing to help. So I am asking the good people of the forum. So here goes. BTW, I have searched the forum and found some similar problems but not quite the same.

The washer fails to go into high spin mode in any of the wash cycles. I can do a quick diagnostic check and the washer will go into high spin and complete the test properly. That rules out the motor, the belt, and the clutch. I have tried it with clothes and without clothes. The other weird thing is during the wash cycles, the time remaining display will stick on a given time, say 13 min, or 9 min, or maybe 5 min and then the cycle will end without the washer ever going into high spin. I might be looking at a door switch or maybe a CCU. If you have experienced this problem, what was changed to correct the problem. Yes, I can replace it with a Bosch or something else, but I would like to get another 8 months out of this one first.

We had a somewhat similar problem with our residential GE Profile front loading washer. It seemed to fill ok and partially do the wash cycle, but then stopped well short of the normal full cycle and did not spin. One of the trouble codes indicated slow fill, but that didn't seem relevant. Even a service tech couldn't duplicate the problem after running diagnostics. After doing some YouTube research I came back around to the slow fill code. So I bought a "used" water intake valve ("used" in the it came from a salvaged washer that had originally been returned to Home Depot) for about half the price of a new one. Installed it and that solved the problem. I dissected to old one but didn't find anything that would have caused it to malfunction. Anyway, you might consider this possible solution. Apparently the washer's computer belatedly sensed the low water level and shut down the cycle.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #46

The common thread among all the people here that have shared their stories is that there is not a common thread. There really isn't one part that will fix our problems, maybe a door switch, maybe a door lock switch, maybe a control board, maybe too many suds; we just don't know. Throwing money towards parts Vs. replacement of unit is a decision that each have to make. Whirlpool and Newmar will not step up after the first year, which I believe given the many issues, one of the two should. Bob Tiffin would for sure.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #47

I would try the felt pad on door and run a couple of cycles with no clothes to clean.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #48

Cheap start!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #49

Cheap start!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:53 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
The common thread among all the people here that have shared their stories is that there is not a common thread.
Good point.......but maybe there is a common thread......

The common thread is the washer doesn't work on multiple levels and it seems no one has a solid answer on how to fix it.....permanently.

Sad but true.

g
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #51

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Has anyone tried the LG sidekick washer. Seems like a viable option. Reviews are good for home use. I'm going to buy one tomorrow and test it out at home then look into installing where my Splendid unit was. Sure is much smaller.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #52

Washer repair

From my husband: As a certified whirlpool tech for 28 years its more thank likely in the MCU not the CCU.
MRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #53

LG is horrible
MRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #54

I had nothing but problems with the Whirlpool washer model WFC7500VW that came with my 2016 motor home. I finally replaced it (myself) with a Whirlpool model WFW5090 GW 24” (has a black control center). I think it is there newer model. So far so good with the new one.
My biggest gripe with Whirlpool is they would not even enter my MH to look at. Said it had to be removed before they would check it out.
RockinGRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #55

Whirlpool washer

Our current model works great. However the first one died and I couldn’t get a repairman out to fix it. Anyway, the charge would have been $600 as diagnosed over the phone. I went to Home Depot and purchased a new one on sale for around $500.

According to the repairman, as discussed over the phone, what happens is when i run over a bump, rough road, etc., the drum hits the top of the tub enclosure, which then cracks the control board. In order to prevent this from happening again, i secure the drum by inserting foam between the drum and tub by moving the rubber gasket. Two years and so far we are good. Hope this helps.
Wgnmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I can relate. My washer failed multiple times. I contacted Whirlpool factory customer service via email for help. They replied quickly but stated, directly and in writing, that Whirlpool authorized repair companies are not allowed to enter an RV. Ever. The washer (or dryer) must be removed from the RV and placed outside before a factory authorized tech can work on it. I contacted another factory customer service person via email a few days later to verify this and was told, again directly and in writing, that this is absolutely Whirlpool's policy. I also heard it from two repair companies I contacted. It's beyond me why RV manufacturers include Whirlpool products, nor do I understand how a service tech is going to troubleshoot an appliance outside of an RV. Here is what occured with my washer:

10/17 The door closed switch failed. A Whirlpool service company shipped another one and explained Whirlpool's RV service policy. It is this policy, already noted, that I verified with Whirlpool. Twice. I installed the switch once received.

12/27/17 The door lock switch failed. I ordered a replacement and installed it.

1/17/18 The washer failed completely. I replaced both the main and motor control boards per the error codes and consultation with a repair company. This was the second appliance repair company that explained Whirlpool's RV policy.

2/16/18 Smoke and a grinding noise. I dismantled the washer and replaced the rear tub, not a fun process. The defective bearing is integral to the rear tub, cannot be replaced on its own, and cannot be accessed to lubricate without removing the tub.

3/28/18 The washer would not spin. By this time I had purchased and installed enough parts to total what a replacement would cost.

3/31/18 I pulled the Whirlpool washer out and installed an Electrolux EFLS210TRIW purchased from Home Depot. Great washer, easy to install, and no issues at all.

My Whirlpool dryer is still running but with less heat than when it was new. It now takes two dry cycles. I will be replacing it soon, and no, the issue is not an accumulation of lint.

Good luck with your issues. There are a number of good choices for a replacement. We really like the Electrolux we purchased. There isn't a matching RV size dryer for it, but the W/D are behind a door so I'm fine with that. Whatever you purchase, make sure it can be serviced inside an RV.
steve716 is offline   Reply With Quote