RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #1

Whirlpool Washer on the Fritz

Once again my Whirlpool washer has gone home to the Whirlpool mother ship. I have called Whirlpool, what a joke. You would think if they have the guts to sell something as bad as this they would have customer service to help troubleshoot. I have emailed Newmar two days ago and have not heard back. You would think if they have the guts to install something this bad, they too would be willing to help. So I am asking the good people of the forum. So here goes. BTW, I have searched the forum and found some similar problems but not quite the same.

The washer fails to go into high spin mode in any of the wash cycles. I can do a quick diagnostic check and the washer will go into high spin and complete the test properly. That rules out the motor, the belt, and the clutch. I have tried it with clothes and without clothes. The other weird thing is during the wash cycles, the time remaining display will stick on a given time, say 13 min, or 9 min, or maybe 5 min and then the cycle will end without the washer ever going into high spin. I might be looking at a door switch or maybe a CCU. If you have experienced this problem, what was changed to correct the problem. Yes, I can replace it with a Bosch or something else, but I would like to get another 8 months out of this one first.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

I trashed mine. Whirlpool was no help. I'm going to Newmar in late April to BUY a new one.
I tried to find one that fit the space but had no luck.

Newmar Hoots looking for a roost
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #3

I have found a Bosch washing machine that will fit the hole, but they aren't cheap. That is why I wanted to repair the old one for now.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

Might be some help in this threadl.

Whirlpool Washer Problem

Or maybe this one

Whirlpool Stackable Washer Error Code A10 Not Draining
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ditto

We have the same problem in our 2017 Dutchstar, the Whirlpool washer intermittently fails to drain. We had one repair at the factory within the first year. I believe the fix was a shim to assist alignment to a sensor, but I'm not sure. The problem repeated itself in Nov. 2018 (out of warranty) and again today! Understand now that it is out of warranty, despite the initial repair, that it would be difficult to negotiate Whirlpool or Newmar to replace, despite the known problem.
TandAlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Whirlpool washer fails to spin

mis-typed - I meant to write that the whirlpool washer fails to spin successfully; we have no error code; it appears to complete the cycle but the clothes are soaked now it is no longer intermittent but every time; the drain/spin cycle does not alter the result; we did a manual reset from the circuit breaker - again no change

I have read the cancel button 4 times, but again we have no error code; I also see where some suggest that the washer will require a new circuit board - anything else?
TandAlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

Had the same problems as the OP had, Washer died 2 days before warranty expired. Local factory authorized service center would not work on it installed. Pair dealer to remove it and the whirlpool run around started. Parts slow to get there, but repairman must have misdiagnosed the problem. My coach has wheels for a reason, so I just bought a new Splendide washer and never looked back. A much superior machine.
Dar
2ndramtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the same problem a few months out of warranty. Took it into Nappanee and Whirlpool looked at it. They told us that we were not putting enough clothes in it. We did as they said and a month later it tore itself apart. Whirlpool refused to help us since it was over a year old. Newmar said they would replace it for us since we had a well documented list of problems with it since it was new.

The new Whirlpool is problem free. The model we had was junk. Call Newmar maybe they will help.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #9

We had the exact same issue after two years of full time use. The Whirlpool is a big POS in my opinion. We replaced with a Splendide washer and are very happy with it. Newmar and Whirlpool were no help at all. Given the time out of warranty I did not really expect much from Newmar; however, since it is a known issue I had hopes they might step up. Whirlpool should have but did not.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #10

We have had the same issue with this crappy washer not doing the final spin since it was new. A Whirlpool tech has "fixed" it while we were in Florida during the first couple months, then at our factory visit Newmar had another Whirlpool tech "fix" it again. He shimmed the door latch and claimed that was what was wrong. It will still fail to final spin about half the time.

We are about 3 months past factory warranty. I will probably make a run at Newmar for replacing it and if that fails we will see if a Splendid will fit. We have owned 3 Splendids in other RVs and they were trouble free.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The washers installed in the 2016 and some 17s were junk, plain and simple. We dealt with various issues for two years. First, failure to drain, error code said "filter" was blocked - it wasn't. Then wouldn't spin. Got them to replace control board, worked for a short time. As mentioned, appliance repair people won't work on it as installed, I had to remove the dryer (with help of neighbors) everytime they came out.

After two years I'd had it. Replaced it with a Splendide almost a year ago, so far no issues (we'd had 5 trouble free years with the Splendide in our last rig).

Our Whirlpool was all white. I think the new models have a black panel where the controls are. I'm not aware of any problems with the new model.

For what it's worth, the only Whirlpool appliance still in our coach is the fridge. The Whirlpool microwave was a piece of crap too and after three months of arguing and negotiating with Newmar we got it replaced with the GE.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The washers installed in the 2016 and some 17s were junk, plain and simple. We dealt with various issues for two years. First, failure to drain, error code said "filter" was blocked - it wasn't. Then wouldn't spin. Got them to replace control board, worked for a short time. As mentioned, appliance repair people won't work on it as installed, I had to remove the dryer (with help of neighbors) everytime they came out.

After two years I'd had it. Replaced it with a Splendide almost a year ago, so far no issues (we'd had 5 trouble free years with the Splendide in our last rig).

Our Whirlpool was all white. I think the new models have a black panel where the controls are. I'm not aware of any problems with the new model.

For what it's worth, the only Whirlpool appliance still in our coach is the fridge. The Whirlpool microwave was a piece of crap too and after three months of arguing and negotiating with Newmar we got it replaced with the GE.
How long does a normal load take to finish, start to finish in the new washer?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

Our old Whirlpool was all white, and was junk. The new one has the black panel and it seems OK. Our microwave also failed and we replaced with the GE

Also, the OP mentioned the problem of no high speed spin. Same problem as ours. To me ours seemed to have trouble balancing. We continued to use it with more clothes in it, as instructed by Whirlpool. Within a month, it tore itself apart. Newmar opened it and they said it was the worst they ever saw. I think it was caused by worn or broken springs from the way it failed.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Our old Whirlpool was all white, and was junk. The new one has the black panel and it seems OK. Our microwave also failed and we replaced with the GE

Also, the OP mentioned the problem of no high speed spin. Same problem as ours. To me ours seemed to have trouble balancing. We continued to use it with more clothes in it, as instructed by Whirlpool. Within a month, it tore itself apart. Newmar opened it and they said it was the worst they ever saw. I think it was caused by worn or broken springs from the way it failed.
So far, we have not had any problems, but we may not use ours as much as others do... Ours definitely spins fast...as you can feel it in the rig!

Fingers crossed.

richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote