Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We had issues with ours starting not long after delivery, eventually escalating to a pump failure just shy of two years in. I refused to replace it with another Whirlpool POS and changed it out for a Splendide.

It is my understanding that an updated model is now being used but both Newmar and Whirlpool lost points for producing/using a piece of scrap in any rig, let alone an LA.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Smile “Worthless Whirlpool”

Perhaps one of the many attorney vultures out there would do a class action suit against “worthless Whirlpool” and obtain replacements for those of us that are stuck with this product.
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 AM   #17

I gave up yesterday when the sheets I tried to wash just turned and the door locked and wouldn't open. I ended up having to pull the fuse to kill it since turning it off did nothing.

I, again, will wash my sheets at home.

The service department at the dealer has me on speed dial I think.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Clearly this is not one of Whirlpools stronger products...or it does not like bouncing down the highway. I would be curious what percentage of these are actually bad units... Is anyone happy with these units?
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #19

How difficult were the WP units to remove from the RV and same question to replace with the Splendide unit? Look to me like the Splendide is a combo unit? How well do these work. We have a Whirpool and had not called anyone but it does not start well. Seems like a different combination of procedures every time we try to wash a load. The dryer works as it should.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
R&R is a PITA, but needed to be done.

These front loaders are HEAVY! Start by disconnecting and removing the dryer. Disconnect the washer and recruit a couple of friends with big guns and strong backs to carry it out. Keep 'em handy 'cause you'll need them to get the new one in. (Splendide does sell combo units, or separate washer/dryers. Of course I bought just the washer version).

Sat the new washer in the living room so we could temporarily sit the dryer on top, line it up and drill the washer so we could reinstall the plates Newmar installed to hold the two together.

Separate them again and move the washer back into the cabinet. Remember to do the hookups for water and drain. Set the dryer back on top and bolt them together. Complete the dryer hookups and maneuver the now joined units to where they need to be before replacing the board Newmar installed across the top of the dryer. As the Splendide is slightly shorter than the Whirlpool it ended up just a bit lower. I stuffed rubber drawer lining material between the dryer and that board to replace the foam tape the factory used.

Like I said, a PITA, but doable with the help of some friends.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
R&R is a PITA, but needed to be done.

These front loaders are HEAVY! Start by disconnecting and removing the dryer. Disconnect the washer and recruit a couple of friends with big guns and strong backs to carry it out. Keep 'em handy 'cause you'll need them to get the new one in. (Splendide does sell combo units, or separate washer/dryers. Of course I bought just the washer version).

Sat the new washer in the living room so we could temporarily sit the dryer on top, line it up and drill the washer so we could reinstall the plates Newmar installed to hold the two together.

Separate them again and move the washer back into the cabinet. Remember to do the hookups for water and drain. Set the dryer back on top and bolt them together. Complete the dryer hookups and maneuver the now joined units to where they need to be before replacing the board Newmar installed across the top of the dryer. As the Splendide is slightly shorter than the Whirlpool it ended up just a bit lower. I stuffed rubber drawer lining material between the dryer and that board to replace the foam tape the factory used.

Like I said, a PITA, but doable with the help of some friends.

We are on the backside of a 7 week trip. Had NEWMAR install new W-pool washer and dryer in April this year. Both are working well. Wash and dry one king sheet at a time however, all other loads normal. As these are new 18” models, so far so good. Some shaking during wash cycle with heavy loads. . . tolerable.
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
As these are new 18” models, so far so good. Some shaking during wash cycle with heavy loads. . . tolerable.
I agree... It's amazing how much a washer spin cycle can shake a 40,000lb RV....
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #23

The 18 units must be much improved. Ours are working just fine since we got the coach last September. Wash all the bed sheets and pillow cases, no problem, shaking ok, not too bad.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
The 18 units must be much improved. Ours are working just fine since we got the coach last September. Wash all the bed sheets and pillow cases, no problem, shaking ok, not too bad.
Kind of makes you wonder if WP has fixed some type of design flaw. They certainly would not want that to be made public.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #25

I had the original issue listed in this thread(washer won't start, door lock problem) when it was new at the factory, they even changed the washer and the second one did the same thing. I found a post months later from the Entegra site that included a short Utube video. It wasn't even clear what issue they were trying to fix but when I saw it, I knew it must be for the doorlock switch. Anyway, a single washer behind the door lock screws(two) and the issue was solved. The rubber boot has to be moved out of the way to gain access by removing the large clamp holding it on. It worked EVERY time since! takes about 10 minutes
Jim Boguslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #26

We had nothing but problems with our Whirlpool washer over the last two years. I’m sure it’s the same model that Newmar used in their coaches. Since we had a two year warranty we demanded that Entegra swap it out. We went to the factory to have our coach worked on prior to our warranty running out and Entegra swapped it out with the new Whirlpool being installed in to 2018 model coaches. The washer, I believe, is model number 3090. This new washer has performed flawlessly over the last two months or so and we also clocked around a thousand miles. Time will tell if this washer is going to cut it or chucked out the front door. Very happy that it was swapped out under warranty.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boguslaw View Post
I had the original issue listed in this thread(washer won't start, door lock problem) when it was new at the factory, they even changed the washer and the second one did the same thing. I found a post months later from the Entegra site that included a short Utube video. It wasn't even clear what issue they were trying to fix but when I saw it, I knew it must be for the doorlock switch. Anyway, a single washer behind the door lock screws(two) and the issue was solved. The rubber boot has to be moved out of the way to gain access by removing the large clamp holding it on. It worked EVERY time since! takes about 10 minutes
Been a while, but I believe that was my video. I’ve put up on Dropbox for a few friends to download....

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Washer_...+Lock+Done.MOV

Try this link and it will show where the washers go on the back of the switch.

Hope it still works....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Been a while, but I believe that was my video. I’ve put up on Dropbox for a few friends to download....

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Washer_...+Lock+Done.MOV

Try this link and it will show where the washers go on the back of the switch.

Hope it still works....
Would love to see the video, but unfortunately dropbox says that the folder (...washer_private_fix...) does not exist.