Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #1

Whirlpool Washer Spin Issue

Instead of searching for the old post of this issue I'll just start a new one.

My 2017 Ventana 4369 came with the Whirlpool washer and dryer. Initially the washer wouldn't always start. The first time the Whirlpool tech came out he blamed it on "user error". In other words he nicely told us we were stupid and we not starting it correctly.

The next time we had him out (month later) it didn't work right for him! He adjusted this and adjusted that. It did okay for another month or two and then started the issue of no final spin. About every 7 to 9 loads it would skip the final spin leaving you with soaking set clothing.

At Nappanee this week they had a Whirlpool service company set up to take a look. According to them they had started replacing these models due to the spin issue in 2017 coaches. But then Whirlpool figured out that the contact sensor switch for the door was positioned too far away from the contact point, therefore every so often the sensor would break contact stopping the machine from the final spin. He said even though the door appeared locked the sensor was telling it to not spin because it wasn't totally secured. The Newmar factory techs claim that since Whirlpool began shimming out these door sensors and repositioning them the problem has been solved.

We have only done 3 loads since then so I hope they are correct and this issue is finally solved.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

We have a 17 DS 4369. We have found to load it turn it on and go away. In 1,2, or 5 minutes it will start and run.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Instead of searching for the old post of this issue I'll just start a new one.

My 2017 Ventana 4369 came with the Whirlpool washer and dryer. Initially the washer wouldn't always start. The first time the Whirlpool tech came out he blamed it on "user error". In other words he nicely told us we were stupid and we not starting it correctly.
You must have had the same Whirlpool tech I had. Ummm, yes, kid, I know how to do laundry. My current HD washer at the S & B is probably older than you, BTW...

The tech swore it was me and not the washer and he did nothing except pull it out and wiggle it. Now it does work. I've done approximately 5 loads successfully since.

He did spend an hour "looking" at it. At least I know what to "look" at when the warranty is up.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

That switch contact problem has been around since 2014 or before.

Nice to see WP is right on top of the problem!!!!
Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a lot of trouble with the Whirlpool washer and the Whirlpool repair people, until it tore itself apart and Whirlpool told us they wouldn't do anything because it was out of warranty. After replacing the Whirlpool washer the Whirlpool microwave failed, out of warranty of course.

Happy to say Newmar helped us with the washer. We are paying to have the microwave replaced with the GE Advantium.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We had the same issue. Newmar had the sensor replaced on the Whirlpool in our 17 DSDP. Haven’t had any issues since.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

This morning, I was having a spin problem with my 2008 washer. I noticed that if I pushed on the front of the washer, I could get the lights to blink. Thinking that it was a loose wire, I removed the switch and the wires were tight. I tested the switch with a meter and it tested bad. Sears Parts wanted $65 for the switch. Figuring that I had nothing to loose, I opened the switch up. I found that a very small hair or fiber from a rug got onto the contact and was preventing it from making positive contact. I removed the hair, cleaned the contact and reassembled the switch. The 2008 washer is working once again. Sometimes we just get lucky....
-G
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The next time we had him out (month later) it didn't work right for him! He adjusted this and adjusted that. It did okay for another month or two and then started the issue of no final spin. About every 7 to 9 loads it would skip the final spin leaving you with soaking set clothing.

At Nappanee this week they had a Whirlpool service company set up to take a look. According to them they had started replacing these models due to the spin issue in 2017 coaches. But then Whirlpool figured out that the contact sensor switch for the door was positioned too far away from the contact point, therefore every so often the sensor would break contact stopping the machine from the final spin. He said even though the door appeared locked the sensor was telling it to not spin because it wasn't totally secured. The Newmar factory techs claim that since Whirlpool began shimming out these door sensors and repositioning them the problem has been solved.

We have only done 3 loads since then so I hope they are correct and this issue is finally solved.
\

We have experienced the same washer problem. Was at Newmar a couple weeks ago to have it looked at. We have had it at Newmar for this problem in the past when under warranty. Not sure what they did back then?? It didn't fix it.

This past time at Newmar, the "Whirlpool" man did the shim fix.

Glad to hear it is working, but these repairs in the past have had a short life.....

I see a Splendid in the future - something else I have to replace because of poor vendor choices of Newmar.....just replaced a weak, poor operating Whirlpool micro/convection oven.......

g
Old 12-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

Indy Glenn, the shim fix didn't hold up very good. Currently about one load out of 4 does not do the final spin, which is about where we were before the factory visit and their arranged repair by that Whirlpool factory rep.

I guess I'll make Newmar aware of this so they have a record. Undecided on what to do at this point. I'm leaning toward insisting on a new unit and if that fails we will probably just buy a Splendid on our own and install it.

Went out of first year warranty a couple weeks ago. We have an extended coach warranty but I'm not about to start paying $50 to $100 deductible for Whirlpool techs to keep coming out playing with this defective washer.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Indy Glenn, the shim fix didn't hold up very good. Currently about one load out of 4 does not do the final spin, which is about where we were before the factory visit and their arranged repair by that Whirlpool factory rep.

I guess I'll make Newmar aware of this so they have a record. Undecided on what to do at this point. I'm leaning toward insisting on a new unit and if that fails we will probably just buy a Splendid on our own and install it.

Went out of first year warranty a couple weeks ago. We have an extended coach warranty but I'm not about to start paying $50 to $100 deductible for Whirlpool techs to keep coming out playing with this defective washer.
Well gee thanks FLJOE.......but your report is not a surprise.

When I left Newmar this last service time when they installed the shims, I told one of the lead techs, "I can see a Splendid in my future."

We also had a error code and after looking it up it said it was a drain issue. A mobile RV mechanic taught us how to take off the washers bottom panel and clear the drain at the bottom, right portion of the washer. Angie can clear the drain and get it back running.

To be honest - - I am tired of either having something going wrong with "things", pick any category, and not having a fully functioning motor home. And I don't buy "It's a new rig".......some problems - ok - the problems I am having are from poor purchasing decisions on Newmar's part as far as the equipment they put into their motor homes. And it's not limited to gas models!!!

Newmar has really lost it's luster for me - I have lost any trust I initially had. As we prepare to head your way - I now wonder what's next......no way to feel about what is deemed a quality brand of motor home.

There is more to motor homes than nice cabinets.......

I appreciate your comments but as I said - - I know it is a temp fix.

We winter in LaBelle - - where are you?

g
Old 12-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were full time so we used our Whirlpool washer often. We had issues since the coach was new.

At about 1 1/2 years we started having the spin problem. We took it to Nappanee and the Whirlpool tech said that we weren't putting enough clothes in it. For two weeks we stuffed it full and then the washer tore itself apart. The Newmar tech said it was the worst he ever saw. The washers in the 2017s are garbage and Whirlpool refused to do anything about it. The company I retired from made the steel for Whirlpool, so I always bought from Whirlpool. Was really surprised to see these small washers are made in Italy.

We are very happy with everything that Newmar and Midway RV have done to help us with this coach. I'll never buy another Whirlpool product.

Our replacement washer is the model that is in the newer coaches and it seems to work well.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Well gee thanks FLJOE.......but your report is not a surprise.

When I left Newmar this last service time when they installed the shims, I told one of the lead techs, "I can see a Splendid in my future."

We also had a error code and after looking it up it said it was a drain issue. A mobile RV mechanic taught us how to take off the washers bottom panel and clear the drain at the bottom, right portion of the washer. Angie can clear the drain and get it back running.

To be honest - - I am tired of either having something going wrong with "things", pick any category, and not having a fully functioning motor home. And I don't buy "It's a new rig".......some problems - ok - the problems I am having are from poor purchasing decisions on Newmar's part as far as the equipment they put into their motor homes. And it's not limited to gas models!!!

Newmar has really lost it's luster for me - I have lost any trust I initially had. As we prepare to head your way - I now wonder what's next......no way to feel about what is deemed a quality brand of motor home.

There is more to motor homes than nice cabinets.......

I appreciate your comments but as I said - - I know it is a temp fix.

We winter in LaBelle - - where are you?

g
We are at Upriver, Rt. 78, North Ft Myers. If you get over this way be sure to try Hogbodies right next to our entrance, best food in Lee County!

Are you in that newer park in LaBelle? There are probably 10 Newmar coaches here this winter.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
We were full time so we used our Whirlpool washer often. We had issues since the coach was new.

At about 1 1/2 years we started having the spin problem. We took it to Nappanee and the Whirlpool tech said that we weren't putting enough clothes in it. For two weeks we stuffed it full and then the washer tore itself apart. The Newmar tech said it was the worst he ever saw. The washers in the 2017s are garbage and Whirlpool refused to do anything about it. The company I retired from made the steel for Whirlpool, so I always bought from Whirlpool. Was really surprised to see these small washers are made in Italy.

We are very happy with everything that Newmar and Midway RV have done to help us with this coach. I'll never buy another Whirlpool product.

Our replacement washer is the model that is in the newer coaches and it seems to work well.
Yep, I heard that from someone else that the new Whirlpool washers were working okay.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:30 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We are at Upriver, Rt. 78, North Ft Myers. If you get over this way be sure to try Hogbodies right next to our entrance, best food in Lee County!

Are you in that newer park in LaBelle? There are probably 10 Newmar coaches here this winter.
Yup - Oak Grove RV Resort.

Last year was the first season for Oak Grove, there were only a couple of Newmars, mine and a couple of older DPs. Lots of 5th wheels.

Ya know, we hardly eat out at home - - we head to SW FLA we eat out a couple times per week.......huh!! And my waist line shows it - LOL

Have you been to The Hut, 5150 Buckingham Rd, Fort Myers, FL 33905. Not too far from you. Good food.

Like beer? I do and again my waist line shows it, The Ft Myers Brewing Company has great craft beer made on premise. They have events during the week and the best is Wednesday, Burger Night. Fort Myers Brewing Company

And if you like a BIG breakfast, there is always the Alva Country Diner, just a few miles east of exit 141 on FL 80......but remember - they are cash only.

You did want to talk about food - - did't you??? LOL

Perhaps - we can hook up sometime..

Take care,

g