Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Whirlpool Washer throws F:07 Fault Code BUT only on Generator?

We have separate Whirlpool Washer and Dryers. Our Campsite has 50A 120V shore power. Really! I had the CG Foreman out to explain this to me.

Anyway we have to run our dryer on generator as it's 240V. We got permission. So when we were running both the washer and dryer, using the generator and the Washing Machine threw a "F:07" fault code. This indicates an electrical problem. This is now happening every time I try to run the Washer while on generator BUT it's not happening when I'm on Shore Power and NOT running the Dryer.

It seems the Washer doesn't like the electrical provided by the generator??? I also seem to get a flickering of the Microwave Counter Light, which I also believe is 120V.

One other fact it the the RV-C panel shows Current about 123V but the Cycles fluctuate between 60-61 Hz.

Is it possible the generator isn't producing a "Clean" Current???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

You might have an electrical issue. We have no problem running both the washer and dryer at the same time from shore power. The 50 amp power at the pedestal is 2 legs of 120 volt that are bridged back together to power the 240 volt dryer. Do you have a surge protector?? Ours came installed from the factory but I'm not sure if it looks at power from any source or only from the shore line.

Sounds like a call to Newmar. Good Luck!!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your dryer should not be 240v unless you custom ordered it.

I agree that you have a wiring issue. I assume you checked the breakers, but maybe you should remove the panel and look at the wiring. Make sure all power is disconnected and inverter off before you open up the cover.

If you post a picture of the panel it may be helpful.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
You might have an electrical issue. We have no problem running both the washer and dryer at the same time from shore power. The 50 amp power at the pedestal is 2 legs of 120 volt that are bridged back together to power the 240 volt dryer. Do you have a surge protector?? Ours came installed from the factory but I'm not sure if it looks at power from any source or only from the shore line.

Sounds like a call to Newmar. Good Luck!!
The Power Pedestal at the County Park and Campground has a "Non-conforming" electrical configuration. They are using the RV 50A plug BUT they are only supplying a single 120v leg, but they are giving us 50A which allows us to run two ACs.

The real issue here is Why Won't The Washer run on the Generator???? Does any one know how to check the quality of the electricity a generator produces???
Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Not true. Newmar High-Line coaches have had 240V dryers since '08 at least, when we got ours. It may be an "option", but it's not a special or custom order.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

I agree that you have a wiring issue. I assume you checked the breakers, but maybe you should remove the panel and look at the wiring. Make sure all power is disconnected and inverter off before you open up the cover.

If you post a picture of the panel it may be helpful.
The Dryer is the standard two piece that Newmar put in the '13 Essex.

Here's a picture of my breaker panel that shows the 2-pole breaker for the dryer on the left hand side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	68847  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

Hello Dan,
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Hopefully someone with more electrical experience will weigh in here, but my understanding is that when the coach see's multiple sources for electricity it will pick the generator first, shore power second, and inverter 3rd. So if your running your generator to power the washing machine and it's not working it sounds like a wiring issue. If you disconnect from that goofy shore power and run the generator, will it run all three A/C units? that will at least tell you if you have the amperage available. I'm not sure how you could check to see if the washing machine is seeing "dirty" power from the generator.

You probability already have this info, but I would call Newmar High Line Service 1-866-540-9590 Carl Snyder.

Good luck, electrical gremlins can be a real pain
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All the circuit breakers are on the left side including the engine block heater don't suppose the cord is plugged in to the engine drawing current down of left side that the dryer needs?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well it appears that the problem is truly as stated by the op. The dryer appears to be a true 220v. This would require both legs to work.

Try this for a simple fix:

Disconnect shore cord completely and then power on generator. Make sure generator has both breakers enabled, your may have flipped on one leg.

Then try dryer
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
All the circuit breakers are on the left side including the engine block heater don't suppose the cord is plugged in to the engine drawing current down of left side that the dryer needs?
Hot legs aren't divided left/right in the breaker panel. They alternate breaker positions, which is how you have opposite legs next to each other on the panel.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #11

The F:07 error is indicative of a problem with the motor control unit. From the Service manual:
F/07
Motor Control Unit Error
The Central Control Unit has detected a short in the motor control unit. If a failure occurs during high-speed spin the door will be unlocked after 3 minutes.
Potential Causes
• Check wire harness connections between the Drive Motor and the Motor Control Unit (MCU), and between the MCU and the Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check the MCU
• Check the Drive Motor
• Check the Wire Harness

The only difference between the shore side and the generator side would be the neutral bonding between ground and neutral. The coach is not and cannot be neutral bonded in the load center according to code. Therefore it relies on the power source to provide the neutral bond, which in this case is the shore supply or the generator itself. I would recommend having the neutrals checked right where they exit the generator and head to the transfer switch, inside the transfer switch itself, any junction boxes between the transfer switch and the interior load center. Additionally the bonding strap between the generator and coach chassis should be checked to insure it's in place.

Having a floating neutral/ground can cause goofy behavior with many electronics.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the awesome ideas. 007, your thoughts seem to parallel the conversation I had with Newmar. They want to check the tightness of all electrical connections but they can't do any of the work on the generator. For that I have to go to Cummins.

I will be heading back to Newmar in September for a long appointment as they are repainting the sides of our Essex.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Redbarron, we will be doing some more wash in a couple of days and I will try your suggestion.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The engine block heater isn't plugged in.

Tags
generator