Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Whiter, Brighter, Safer RV Headlights $134 - Mike Mas

Hello IRV2 Friends - I Just finished an article on upgrading your RV headlights. This article outlines how to switch out your “Dim” halogen bulbs to Sylvania new technology Xenon High-End lamps. These amazing lamps will provide a 40-60% increase of available light over the stock halogen bulbs supplied as original equipment like the ones in my New Aire. These replacement headlight beams will show obstacles such as deer further down the road giving you advance notice of danger. This is all Plug & Play with the exact wattage and specs for $134.90, making night driving less stressful and most importantly much Safer!

Enjoy - Mike Mas

Please click this link for the story:

http://rotory.com/coach/lights/
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Nice article, Mike!

One question I do need to ask is "Are these replacement lamps DOT approved?" I know it is a sensitive question for some who feel safety outweighs legality, but I think it is an important point from a liability standpoint.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #3

Great write up! We're hoping to never drive our rig in the dark. I just know the day will come...thanks for the details on changing the bulbs!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Nice article, Mike!

One question I do need to ask is "Are these replacement lamps DOT approved?" I know it is a sensitive question for some who feel safety outweighs legality, but I think it is an important point from a liability standpoint.

TJ
+1. The non certified lamps can produce dangerous glare to opposing drivers, so what's the skinny on that?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #5

Great write up.

Got some links about where you get them?
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Nice article, Mike!

TJ
YES
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 8.51.13 PM.png
Views:	170
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	202088  
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the info and pictures. I noticed next to the picture of the 9005 you have 9005 is for the low beam and the next paragraph 9005 is for the high beam. I would think my (in June) DS has the same lamps, thanks again for the help.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Nice article, Mike!

TJ
Hello and thanks for the reply - yes, all these lamps are DOT certified.

Mike
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Thanks for the info and pictures. I noticed next to the picture of the 9005 you have 9005 is for the low beam and the next paragraph 9005 is for the high beam. I would think my (in June) DS has the same lamps, thanks again for the help.

Edit: I found the error and corrected it - Thanks

Mike
Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting. Would have liked to have seen something on life span compared to the standard lamps. My experience with these types of hybrid lamps in other vehicle applications is they have considerable less life span so a low entry price actually turns into an expense every 12-18 months.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC21 View Post
Interesting. Would have liked to have seen something on life span compared to the standard lamps. My experience with these types of hybrid lamps in other vehicle applications is they have considerable less life span so a low entry price actually turns into an expense every 12-18 months.
Thanks for the reply - Sylvania warranties the bulbs for 1 year from the date of purchase. I have these in just about everything I own and I'm yet to replace one.

Also, on my $134 price that is retail, you can these bulbs on Ebay and other sites in the $35 pair price bringing your coat under $100.

Drive Safe

Mike
Old 05-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post

Thanks for the reply - Sylvania warranties the bulbs for 1 year from the date of purchase. I have these in just about everything I own and I'm yet to replace one.

How long have you had them in what you own?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would add a small blurb on handling the bulbs. You should NEVER touch the glass part of the bulbs with your fingers. The oil from your skin will concentrate heat and could lead to bulb failure. Use of latex gloves is advised.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I would add a small blurb on handling the bulbs. You should NEVER touch the glass part of the bulbs with your fingers. The oil from your skin will concentrate heat and could lead to bulb failure. Use of latex gloves is advised.

Thanks Sky, I should have mentioned that!

Mike

Tags
light, lights