Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #15

The lamps themselves might be DOT approved, but that isn't the problem.

Questions needs to be - is retrofitting these bulbs into a conventional housing designed for conventional filament bulbs DOT approved. In other countries - Europe and Australia - HID is not approved unless the entire light assembly is designed for those bulbs

However, in this case they are merely filament bulbs so should be OK
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
The lamps themselves might be DOT approved, but that isn't the problem.

Questions needs to be - is retrofitting these bulbs into a conventional housing designed for conventional filament bulbs DOT approved. In other countries - Europe and Australia - HID is not approved unless the entire light assembly is designed for those bulbs

However, in this case they are merely filament bulbs so should be OK

Thanks for the reply - The Sylvania bulbs used in this upgrade are exact 55 watt replacement bulbs which are no different than if you just replaced your original 9005 bulb with the same 9005 bulb. The only difference is its more efficient and a different color temperature than the original which will have no effect on the housing.

In any case, the bulbs are DOT approved and 100% street legal. I have heard from a few sources the new bulbs only draw 38 watts ,but I have not confirmed that yet.

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #17

Quick rant.

I own several Newmar early 2000's I find it absolutely irresponsible that any mfg, especially Newmar, to design, produce and sell their RVs with such obvious lack of concern for the safety of its customers and the transportation community (fellow travelers) included.

To hear that this is going on in an age that has so many better alternatives is disheartening.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburn View Post
Quick rant.

I own several Newmar early 2000's I find it absolutely irresponsible that any mfg, especially Newmar, to design, produce and sell their RVs with such obvious lack of concern for the safety of its customers and the transportation community (fellow travelers) included.

To hear that this is going on in an age that has so many better alternatives is disheartening.

It is not just Newmar, believe me.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #19

Every motorhome, vehicle and bike I've owned up to a few years ago had standard yellow dim halogen lamps that needed replacement.

On newer vehicles they are offering the same technology I used the article. My VW Dune where the same Xenon headlights were a $800 option. My ELR CAD has LED's but I paid for them.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 11, 9 23 38 AM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	202252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 11, 9 26 55 AM.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	202253  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 11, 9 28 46 AM.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	202254  
Old 05-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #20

THANK YOU so much for sharing! They will also be going into my FJ Cruiser toad
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
2015 VT 4369- low beams go out when switching to high beam. Is this operationally correct,
Mike, great article-ordered from eBay
Thanks
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
2015 VT 4369- low beams go out when switching to high beam. Is this operationally correct,
Thanks
In most cases that is typical operation.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #23

Many thanks for the reply's guys!!

Mike
Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks

I think there is an open recall on this issue. You might want to check the web or call newmar directly.

To add to the conversation, I have replaced every set of headlight bulbs in every vehicle I’ve owned, except for two vehicles that already had HID/led bulbs. I will tell you the best money spent is on actual HID bulbs, not xenon filled or blue tinted or even the led bulbs. They just don’t produce enough light. True HID bulbs with ballasts will produce the energy and replicate the light pattern that the reflectors were designed to put out using the standard halogen bulbs.

I will be replacing my DS bulbs when we pick it up with true HID bulbs with the highest output rating, typically 55w.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I think there is an open recall on this issue. You might want to check the web or call newmar directly.

To add to the conversation, I have replaced every set of headlight bulbs in every vehicle I’ve owned, except for two vehicles that already had HID/led bulbs. I will tell you the best money spent is on actual HID bulbs, not xenon filled or blue tinted or even the led bulbs. They just don’t produce enough light. True HID bulbs with ballasts will produce the energy and replicate the light pattern that the reflectors were designed to put out using the standard halogen bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I will be replacing my DS bulbs when we pick it up with true HID bulbs with the highest output rating, typically 55w.
Thanks for the reply - the problem with true HID's is they require high voltage ballast as well as a module for the Can-Bus. Also few are DOT approved not street legal.

A guy I ride with installed a set of the HID/LED's in his truck and I could not ride in front of him for the un-wanted lobs blinding me on low beam.

Can you share the one's your using, I'm sure a lot of guys wold like to look at an option.

Thanks - Mike

Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thanks
There is a post here on 5-5-18 about a recall starting in June for this issue.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post

Thanks for the reply - the problem with true HID's is they require high voltage ballast as well as a module for the Can-Bus. Also few are DOT approved not street legal.

A guy I ride with installed a set of the HID/LED's in his truck and I could not ride in front of him for the un-wanted lobs blinding me on low beam.

Can you share the one's your using, I'm sure a lot of guys wold like to look at an option.

Thanks - Mike

OK...I'm not sure we are talking apples to apples. Let me start with ILLEGAL HID/LED upgrades that are not DOT approved. These are the ones that provide bulbs that fit in your stock headlight assembly and add ballasts. Too many times owners that make this conversion don't give a damn or at least are ignorant about how it affects other drivers. These upgrades can be hit or miss on the ability to properly aim/focus the beam because the "hot spots" are not in the same place as stock halogen bulbs. If you move the hot spot, you affect beam properties.

Legal upgrades do require a ballast but do NOT universally require Can-Bus modules but that depends on installation decisions. I converted my halogen lights to HIDs a few years ago. I did it the CORRECT way. I replaced my Hella 90mm Halogen modules with DOT approved Hella 90mm HID modules. I also properly aimed them according to established standards.

HOWEVER...I had to do the following things to make them work. Keep in mind that I am speaking specifically to coaches on Spartan chassis in the 2006 range. I think there is a wide range of Spartan coaches with the same Spartan Controller module that operates the headlight system.

1. I had to disconnect daytime running lights by removing 2 outputs from the Spartan controller.
2. I installed relays to provide positive and negative connections directly to the ballasts. I used the B+ & B- connections at the back of the generator to provide clean power through the relays to the ballasts.
3. I used the power connections that went to the original headlights to trigger the relays. I did not have to add any Can-Bus modules.

The net effect was:

1. Loss of DRLs. Since I travel with headlights on, not an issue. There are kits to work around this issue and for Canadian vehicles that is an issue that must be addressed.
2. No changes in turning headlights on and off. All controls retain normal function.
3. MUCH improved visibility with clean, crisp cutoff of the low beams meeting standard alignment practices. In fact, I did lower the cut off a very, very small distance and still extremely happy with the outcome.
4. It wasn't cheap. Cost was around $1500. I know there will be people that say I was an idiot for spending that much but it was my choice to be street legal and avoid undue glare for oncoming drivers.

All work was done with the help/advice of Daniel Stern who is recognized as an expert in the field of automotive lighting.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #28

I’m seeing several reviews on you tube that these lights are whiter yes. But actually dimmer than own bulbs. They give you the look of hid due to brighter white. But don’t light up further down road. Just cleared right in front of you. Any other opinions on these after install from anyone.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights