Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Apparently the new model does all that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Apparently the new model does all that.
You had better ask Hughes. I think their "new" autoformer just indicates faults, but does not protect against them . . . just like this TRC unit: 30A Portable Surge Guard with Ground Fault | Technology Research, LLC
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #17

I purchased an autoformer about 10 years ago after having voltage issues in many of the parks we visited in the northeast during the summer. I've had it installed ever since
and have had no issues, here's how I set it up.
Coming off the power cord reel, I have a receptacle, into that I plug in the "cheap surge protector" which will hopefully protect the autoformer which is plugged into it. The primary surge protector then plugs into the autoformer. In the event of a component failure, it's just a matter of unplugging the failed unit. It's all in the power bay
Before i plug anything in, I test the pedestal for proper wiring with a test box I made. It basically indicates that line 1 and line 2 and neutral and ground are properly hooked up on the receptacle and also displays the voltage for each leg.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #18
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You had better ask Hughes. I think their "new" autoformer just indicates faults, but does not protect against them . . . just like this TRC unit: 30A Portable Surge Guard with Ground Fault | Technology Research, LLC

Odd that no one makes an auto former with built in power "turn off" protection downstream in one unit.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I purchased an autoformer about 10 years ago after having voltage issues in many of the parks we visited in the northeast during the summer. I've had it installed ever since
and have had no issues, here's how I set it up....
Do others have this kind of quality (luck) in their auto former? 10 years?

Anyone on their 2nd (or more) auto former?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
Do others have this kind of quality (luck) in their auto former? 10 years?

Anyone on their 2nd (or more) auto former?

My wife gave me a Hughes for Christmas 2007 just before we started full timing. It was hit by a big surge about 3 years ago & I sent it to Hughes for repair. No problem since.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Who has an autoformer for their MH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
My wife gave me a Hughes for Christmas 2007 just before we started full timing. It was hit by a big surge about 3 years ago & I sent it to Hughes for repair. No problem since.

It is just a big transformer. Not a lot to go wrong if it's protected with a surge suppressor up stream.

I like the idea of one and have been following this thread and checking out the Hughes and the Surge Guard. The newest Hughes has a replaceable surge module and indicators showing incorrect wiring at the pedestal. The newest Surge Guard has the indicators but I don't believe it has surge protection. Neither has the ability to shut the power off should a fault occur while in use. That is what's stopping me from buying now. I'd still have to have at least my Progressive EMS-PT50C downstream and additionally in the case of the Surge Guard, another surge protector before it. Too much stuff to chain together every time.

Right now my EMS-PT50C provides all the protection I need. It would just shut down the power in a low voltage situation rather than boosting it as an auto former would do. Since I've only had the Progressive shut me down when I forget to set the Magnum Shore setting to 10 amps in my driveway on the 15 amp circuit the MH plugs into, I guess my current travels really don't need the auto former.

When someone makes an all in one Auto-former/Surge Protector/Wiring Fault Indicator-Shut Off/Hi-Lo Voltage Shut Off/Pedestal Plug Heat Shut Off unit, I'll buy!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You've just been lucky!
I'd say one out of every four parks I'm in, between B.C and South Cal / Arizona, my PI, EMS is shutting down for low voltage !
Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #23
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
You've just been lucky!

I'd say one out of every four parks I'm in, between B.C and South Cal / Arizona, my PI, EMS is shutting down for low voltage !

If that were my experience, I'd get the latest Hughs.

I guess we have better luck here in the northeast. Could be because it's 58 deg at 11:00pm here in MA right now. Not many running their AC's tonight!

Old 08-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
and have had no issues, here's how I set it up.
Coming off the power cord reel, I have a receptacle, into that I plug in the "cheap surge protector" which will hopefully protect the autoformer which is plugged into it. The primary surge protector then plugs into the autoformer. In the event of a component failure, it's just a matter of unplugging the failed unit. It's all in the power bay
Before i plug anything in, I test the pedestal for proper wiring with a test box I made. It basically indicates that line 1 and line 2 and neutral and ground are properly hooked up on the receptacle and also displays the voltage for each leg.
Can I get clarification on this?

There is a cheap surge protector, a primary (expensive) surge protector, and the autoformer.

Coach plugs into cheap surge protector, autoformer is plugged into (cheap) protector, the primary surge protector is plugged into the autoformer, then (the protector is) plugged into the pole.

Let me know if this is wrong?