Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #3179

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
I must be a heavy sleeper because when we were there in July I didn’t even notice the trains. Now the new campground will probably be different with the much closer proximity to the tracks.
They had me park in the service center parking lot for the week, which is right across from the new campground. After a day or 2 the trains became white noise.

It was nice over there , Happy hour was watching all the horse and buggy's going by on the way to market.
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #3180

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are here until next Tuesday getting our Sofa re-covered. New Campground still a couple of weeks from completion and halted now because of weather. The new service lobby is open and very nice!!! Much bigger with lobby for Pets and and a shared kitchen. Huge compared to the old lobby. Best to check in at the New lobby when you arrive before going on to old campground. Lobby at old campground is unsupervised; however, you are still allowed to use it with a code to enter. Old lobby is now pet friendly as well. When Tech comes to pick up your coach they give you the option to drive your coach to the service facility or they can drive. They definitely prefer you drive it an I have found it to be more convenient to drive it over rather than wait for them to knock on your door. Wife and I are spending most of our time at the new lobby anyway. Did i mention it was nice? They are very gracious about letting you walk out in the service area to talk to your service team or get something out of your coach.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #3181

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
"If" the "hood" is bothered by the train (and you know they are - you can't ignore that sound) I think it would be simple to block most of the streets (dead ends at RR tracks) and funnel all traffic to points at both ends of town. Now you have horns at a few miles apart instead of constant. (I realize you can still hear them at a couple miles away but it should help) Sounds like it would be financially sound too based on this earlier post.
Oh they should make it like the PIA it is to get to Saint Armand's when the draw bridge is up waiting for a boat. But then again there is the other cross over just 13 miles up US 41 in bumper to bumper traffic going to Bradenton Beach on Cortez Rd. But then it takes a 13 mile drive down Longboat Key with two more draw bridges. The nerve of mother nature making Sarasota Bay that wide and that long. I don't understand why all of the good people in Sarasota County don't just have a 65' clearance bridge built then they don't need those nasty draw bridges. I think all of those folks on Bird Key would love living under that bridge. They could make Bird Key the new "Hood" of Sarasota.

Besides all of that, where do we get off on telling in a town that we visit once in a blue moon how to run their town. If someone doesn't like going to Nappanee because of the trains then my suggestion is stay home.

I might just quit going there because they don't have a Wendy's. Who ever heard of a McDonald's without a Wendy's within a block. The nerve of those folks.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #3182

I’m here one more day. I drove up to Dan’s Service Center in Elkhart to get the air brake set up on the coach side.
I bought a new tow bar while I was there, a Roadmaster 676 Nighthawk.
Dan’s was great to deal with, I’d use them again.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #3183

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Oh they should make it like the PIA it is to get to Saint Armand's when the draw bridge is up waiting for a boat. But then again there is the other cross over just 13 miles up US 41 in bumper to bumper traffic going to Bradenton Beach on Cortez Rd. But then it takes a 13 mile drive down Longboat Key with two more draw bridges. The nerve of mother nature making Sarasota Bay that wide and that long. I don't understand why all of the good people in Sarasota County don't just have a 65' clearance bridge built then they don't need those nasty draw bridges. I think all of those folks on Bird Key would love living under that bridge. They could make Bird Key the new "Hood" of Sarasota.

Besides all of that, where do we get off on telling in a town that we visit once in a blue moon how to run their town. If someone doesn't like going to Nappanee because of the trains then my suggestion is stay home.

I might just quit going there because they don't have a Wendy's. Who ever heard of a McDonald's without a Wendy's within a block. The nerve of those folks.
It's been a while since you've been to St Amands - the draw bridge was replaced maybe 15 years ago with a 65 ft fixed span bridge, Bird Key is happy.

BTW, I was just throwing out ideas that of course, could be modified or rejected at any County Commission meeting. The trains won't bother me but they sure seem to bother a lot of posters in this thread.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #3184

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=RKins;4524150]It's been a while since you've been to St Amands - the draw bridge was replaced maybe 15 years ago with a 65 ft fixed span bridge, Bird Key is happy./QUOTE]

Yes it has. I was just making a point as to the inconvenience it would cause to the folks that live there just to make some short time visitors happy. Bet there was a lot of gnashing of teeth over that bridge. I think I have been there since it was built and actually drove across it but when I'm there I seldom go out to the Key except to go to the Columbia for dinner. Can't afford anything else out there. Plaintiff #1 wasn't allowed out there until after 7 PM. By then most of the high rolling stores were closed.Especially the ladies dress shop with a couple of fireside chairs and a couch where the client sits and the models bring out the dress for their approval. Might be gone by now, that was in the 70's when Lucile Ball lived on Bird Key.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #3185

There’s several people on here who need to get a life.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #3186

Newmar Owners Club
Breakfast in Nappanee?

I’m at Camp Newar for warranty work until late next week - any restaurant recommendations?
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #3187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Dam I need to hear More LOL
Ajhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:01 AM   #3188

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WardSimmons,
For breakfast the Dutch Kitchen. From the current/old Newmar CG go west to the end of Newmar property. Turn right and go about 100 yards. It will be on your left.

For lunch or dinner Amish Acers. Across the street from Newmar

For lunch or dinner Das Dutchmen Essenhaus on route 20 in Middlebury.

For lunch or dinner Blue Gate in Shipshewana.

All three of the lunch or dinner places have a local theater attached to them. Local theater is a great way to spend an evening. Give it a try, you will be impressed and glad you did.

The only advice is to forget your diet. Enjoy the Amish cooking.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:03 AM   #3189

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardSimmons View Post
I’m at Camp Newar for warranty work until late next week - any restaurant recommendations?
Rise'n Roll donuts 'nuff said
Amish Acres check hours, buffet one night, family style others
The Pier and Back Porch at Oakwood Resort in Syracuse pricey but worth it
El Cielito Lindo Mexican
Samuel Mancino's Italian Eatery
Old 12-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #3190

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
I'm trying Bill but I'm stuck on that damn train.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #3191

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardSimmons View Post
Not many choices . Hunter's Hideaway is the only Bar restaurant in town. The mexican place is shut down. Amish acres is closed for the season I think. Really good breakfast is Dutch Kitchen.
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #3192

Just ate at Amish acres Friday they are on their winter schedule
The Mexican restaurant at highways 6 and 19 is the one I meant