RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by glester99 View Post
Plenty of open spots for all of you that have trouble getting one the rest of the year!!!! Downside - 28 degrees, snow. New service building and waiting area is really nice. New campsites across the road will be ready in spring sometime.
Looks great! Thanks for the update.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #3222

Newmar Owners Club
Camp Newmar in March

We are 4 months into the whole RV experience; plus we are fulltimers. We are scheduled for warranty work on March 4th (warranty expires March 7th). By the time we leave FL and head north we will have a total of app. 900 miles of driving experience. The weather is cold - my warm blooded Southern Hemisphere body would say downright freezing!

Our first question is: Given our relative lack of experience, would you suggest we re-schedule the appointment and take our chance on how much of the warranty Newmar will honor? We have very detailed photos and descriptions of the various issues. It seems to me that the risk to life and coach far outweighs the warranty savings.

Our second question is: If you feel we are being overly cautious and that we should keep the appointment, how would you suggest we plan the routing and taking care of the coach in the cold in Nappanee?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Vagabells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #3223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabells View Post
We are 4 months into the whole RV experience; plus we are fulltimers. We are scheduled for warranty work on March 4th (warranty expires March 7th). By the time we leave FL and head north we will have a total of app. 900 miles of driving experience. The weather is cold - my warm blooded Southern Hemisphere body would say downright freezing!

Our first question is: Given our relative lack of experience, would you suggest we re-schedule the appointment and take our chance on how much of the warranty Newmar will honor? We have very detailed photos and descriptions of the various issues. It seems to me that the risk to life and coach far outweighs the warranty savings.

Our second question is: If you feel we are being overly cautious and that we should keep the appointment, how would you suggest we plan the routing and taking care of the coach in the cold in Nappanee?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Talk to Craig Garl or Mike Bianchini...tell them your situation and ask to schedule a later service date. As long as the warranty items are documented prior to the end of your year, Newmar will cover them.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #3224

Why not get it done at a dealer in Florida?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #3225

Newmar Owners Club
Will do. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Kind regards.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #3226

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
We would like to visit the factory; and many have suggested that we have the warranty work performed by the factory. I think we will see if we can re-schedule.
Kind regards.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #3227

Quote:
We would like to visit the factory; and many have suggested that we have the warranty work performed by the factory. I think we will see if we can re-schedule.
Kind regards.
We are new to Newmar also but on our Fleetwood, even though things were documented from before the warranty expired, we had to jump through more hoops than I would have liked. Being fulltime adds to the fun.

Personally, I would try to get it done before the warranty expires but I suspect it's too late to schedule with a dealer in Florida. Independence is supposed to be very good with service so they might be able to fit you in for the warranty work and then you can schedule at the factory for an annual maintenance at a later time.

If you are going to reschedule with Newmar at Nappanee, I would make sure there won't be any problems getting the work taken care of. Probably not, but after our Fleetwood, I'm more cautious than before.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #3228

Quote:
Kind regards.
At the NKK rally last week the Newmar staff gave us some info on the tour changes.

I think the tours are not available until April 1 and then they are changing the tour to a more comprehensive one in the morning (including paint and service center) and they think it will take 2.5 hrs, so starting at 9am. The afternoon tour will be the same old tour (whatever that was).
They prefer to have new buyers or people that haven't been there before, on the morning tour and they will limit it to 20 people and a reservation must be made - they will publish the new plan later. A bus will be provided now.
About the new campgrounds - they said that when you get a service date you will be assigned a passcode to get in the gate and the days you are to be in service are entered into that gate DB. When you leave the camp ground on the last day of your service you can't get back in. If you happen to leave in your towed on the last day, maybe to get something like lunch, when you come back, you won't be able to get back in. I'm sure there will be some changes as they learn how to control the campground. The rule is, if you don't have a service appt, you can't get into the new campground. They did say the old campground will be available for people Newmar people passing through.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #3229

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Vagabells,
You will have no trouble with Newmar honoring all your items. Just work it out with whoever in CS you are speaking with and document the call. Make sure that person documents it too.

For routing, just head North on the interstate highway of your choice. You may want to stop along the way and make some fun out of the trip. On I75 in Kentucky there is The Ark. South west of Cincinnati there is the Creation museum.

If you would like some suggestions on what to do around Nappanee, PM me or post here.

As to getting the work done in Florida, I suggest against this. Two reasons:
1. The techs are not focused on Newmar, they work on all brands.
2. This is the busy season. The techs are pushed pretty hard.

Good luck and have fun, that's what we're all about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #3230
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From direct experience I can confirm, Newmar will definitely honor the warranty on anything documented prior to it's expiration.

I suggest an appointment for mid May or later for the best chance to avoid both late winter and spring storms, either of which can ruin your day.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #3231

Nappanee

We were at the Newmar campground in May. It was beautiful weather. Cool enough for a jacket, but not cold. I loved it.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #3232

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I would want it done correctly with no arguments. That leaves most dealers out of the equation.

You won't have any trouble with the warranty from Newmar. They are not like other builders. At a "Hoots" rally several years ago Matt Miller was asked if he would ever go back to a Two Year Warranty. His answer was a resounding NO! He did explain why but he also then asked the crowd of about 40 owners that were in the room if anyone of them had ever had something that Newmar knew was a problem on the production line and their coach was out of warranty buy two or three years that Newmar didn't fix it. No one put their hand up. His answer was, "that was better than any written agreement".

They still live by that. You may get a Newbie in customer service that doesn't understand that but if you push it up the ladder there will not be a problem.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #3233

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are 8 yrs into our Mountain Aire and have been to more dealerships than we care to mention. The folks at Newmar are the most honorable and might add most efficient, professional and knowledgeable you will ever encounter to do the work. Don’t waste your time with dealerships as most learn OJT! Don’t let them learn on your coach cuz you will only have to take it to Newmar to have it fixed in the end.
Lenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #3234

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
We are new to Newmar also but on our Fleetwood, even though things were documented from before the warranty expired, we had to jump through more hoops than I would have liked. Being fulltime adds to the fun.

Personally, I would try to get it done before the warranty expires but I suspect it's too late to schedule with a dealer in Florida. Independence is supposed to be very good with service so they might be able to fit you in for the warranty work and then you can schedule at the factory for an annual maintenance at a later time.

If you are going to reschedule with Newmar at Nappanee, I would make sure there won't be any problems getting the work taken care of. Probably not, but after our Fleetwood, I'm more cautious than before.
That is great advice and will do. Thank you very much.