Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll finish this page so you start fresh, good write up and beautiful coach many safe happy miles for you both.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #16

Deek......Thanks for the great review! Fantastic interior, we're considering the same look.

Do you know if any of the DS Sofa's have a recliner type foot rest built into them? I like the looks of the Extenda L Sofa, but I don't believe you can put your feet up with this type.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #17

They do not have any reclining loveseats or couches.

However, you can delete the couch and buy one from Brad and Hall in Elkhart.

RV Furniture, Boat Furniture, Flexsteel, Flexsteel Furniture, Villa, Palliser, Lafer, Lambright, Leather Furniture, Bradd & Hall - Bradd & Hall

If I recall they will install it at the factory prior to delivery. You need to call Brad and Hall, as well as Newmar to verify everything.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #18

Thanks PDR John....I'll check it out.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
They do not have any reclining loveseats or couches.

However, you can delete the couch and buy one from Brad and Hall in Elkhart.

RV Furniture, Boat Furniture, Flexsteel, Flexsteel Furniture, Villa, Palliser, Lafer, Lambright, Leather Furniture, Bradd & Hall - Bradd & Hall

If I recall they will install it at the factory prior to delivery. You need to call Brad and Hall, as well as Newmar to verify everything.
We actually deleted all furniture and had special couch built and installed at B&H. Recliner from Lambright and desk, liquor cabinet, etc by Carlyle Lehman(Focal).

Ps-great write up, we also did factory pickup.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This will be our last write up of our Newmar delivery adventure. We pulled out today and are just south of Louisville on the way to Ft. Myers.

On Friday, we had a few things that had to be done as the result of items we picked up on our 60 mile test drive. They most of it on Thursday but there were a couple of small things to be done on Friday. The Newmar service people were getting ready for a week long training class at Newmar beginning on Monday so it took a bit longer than we anticipated to have them finish up our work. Since one of the biggest reasons to do factory delivery is to get the people who build the coach to put it under the microscope with you at PDI time, we had no interest or inclination to rush them in their final day of our PDI. By the time they got done, it was 2:30 p.m. (their normal quitting time) and at that hour we decided to stay put for another night and leave this morning.

Turns out that we had as Camp Newmar-mates, another Dutch Star couple, Barry and Terry Klein, who have owned six or seven Dutch Stars since 2001 and are active as wagon masters with Adventure Caravans. They were in for winter work on their '12 DS 4342. We were really glad we stayed over because we spent the evening with them drinking wine, being snug while touring both of our Dutch Stars, learning from them about their adventures and getting lots of helpful tips on RV'ing. A fun, fun time.

As to our factory delivery, all PDI work was definitely done to our complete satisfaction. We were very happy with the entire delivery process, from beginning (on Tuesday) to the end (on Friday). We worked with our two delivery guys, Jason Fuller and Tom Lane, and they were very clearly determined to make sure we were completely satisfied with every aspect of the coach before we left them. Tom Lane, the senior tech, gave me his cell phone number to call him at any time as we traveled to Florida if we had any concerns. How often does this happen with delivery?

The coach runs incredibly well. Quiet, powerful, smooth. The tag axle makes a huge difference, as does the bigger engine. Our drive to Louisville today was like riding on clouds. We are very pleased with the coach.

In summary, there is no question that we are big advocates of factory PDI. Yes, it is not a cheap date, but like with so many other things, on this deal you get what you pay for. The techs you get are with you for the full delivery week and any questions, concerns, comments you have get addressed by them immediately. They are on no time clock to get you done and out like the dealer is and they truly give you their undivided attention. We had a lot of fun with our guys, as well as with Jonas and Leander who are the big bosses. We left them small gifts of home town chocolate which we brought and for us it was just a reminder of how happy we are to be in this Newmar family all together. We are pleased with the product, pleased with the support, pleased with our Forum where all of us discuss our various ideas.

For anyone considering factory delivery of a new coach, I say definitely do it. Even aside from the fact that if you choose that option on your order sheet, you will get the same discount the dealer gives you on your coach -- thus making the factory PDI a much better than retail deal -- you will get careful treatment that the vast majority of dealers, no matter how well intentioned, will not be able to match. Let's face it -- these beasts are incredibly complicated and I have yet to hear a story of a new coach being delivered that did not have to have adjustments, fixes, change outs to make it completely right. Who better to have this done by than the people who build the coach -- and to have those people at your beck and call for as much as five days if you want it?

I am posting a few additional photos of our coach. My wife took the earlier pics and I sent them without understanding that she took a couple of them with her camera sideways -- and I failed to edit them in time to make them correct on my post. Sorry about that.

Thanks for tuning in!

Deek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	33599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2135.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	33600  

Name:	IMG_2136.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	33601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2138.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	33602  

Name:	IMG_2143.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	33603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	33604  

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	33605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2151.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	33606  

Name:	IMG_2154.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	33607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	33608  

”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
More pictures ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2161.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	33610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	33611  

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	33612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	33613  

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	33614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	33615  

Name:	IMG_2209.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	33616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2210.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	33617  

Name:	IMG_2171.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	33618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	33619  

”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Last pictures ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	33620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	33621  

Name:	IMG_2190.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	33622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	33623  

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	33624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2247.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	33625  

”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Deek

Roads have a lot of melting agent down. I stopped in Louisville on the way back from work (Hilton Garden Inn) tonight. Weather is calling for snow overnight TN, AL and north GA. Blue Beacon on 75 through GA at exits 201 and 60 by Pilot. Safe travels.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Deek,

Your coach is absolutely gorgeous. You guys did a wonderful job with the interior selections.

Newmar IMHO makes the best MotorHomes in the industry and you've made a strong case for factory delivery. When I win the lottery and order my new coach that's what I will do too.

I really enjoyed your posts and wish you many happy and safe miles.
Toot those air horns for us as you go thru Atlanta on your way to Florida.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great reporting Deek ... thanks for taking time to keep us in the loop.

My only comment is that Camp Newmar sure looks different than my stay only a week ago. It looks like we were in the same spot (but you minus the snow).

Enjoy the trip to Fort Myers. We have reserved a site very close to the one you are on and will bring our 4018 over for the weekend and "rough it" with you!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2364.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	33639  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #26

Wow a beautiful coach. We have a 2002 Dutchstar worth 330 cat and love it. I cannot imagine how wonderful yours drives. Congrats and many Safe miles. Thank you for the pictures.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Just tell me this isn't a hoot!!!!

Thanks to all who commented. Glad everyone enjoyed the pics. This entire process has been -- and is -- so much fun. One of biggest pieces of the fun for us is to spend the time on this Forum hearing all the comments and seeing all the pictures. This time, we had something to add and we're glad for that.

Chuck and Kathy, we're planning to hit Chattanooga by late afternoon. Any recommendations for a good full utility CG? I am a big Civil War guy and would like, if possible, to see some of what's there. We are thinking that if we get a good place, we might want to stay over two nights. Don't have to be in Ft. Myers till Wednesday when our reservation starts. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve and Debbie, we are coming through Atlanta and yes, we will be sure to hit the Hadleys for you!! Listen for our horns as we pass through your beautiful city.

Steve and Lisa, we are on the way! Show us how it is different in your neck of the woods than Camp Newmar. We are still freezing (but the Oasis sure makes a difference at night when it in the low twenties which it was -- again -- last night).

Mystery, thank for the compliments. You know you do so much to try to get every choice you want but you just have to know you are always going to miss something. We think we got 98% of it -- much of it from discussions on this Forum. Couple of things -- like GE Advantium microwave / convection -- we literally included the day before the coach went into production! Without help from our Forum members, it wouldn't have happened as well as it turned out.

I remember PDR John's post when he got his '13 Dutch Star. I remember being so fascinated by all he said, how much he loved the features, his description of the quality of the coach and ride. I remember thinking .... what if ...

Well, I now know just what he was talking about. Each night we have been in the coach we have found new and different things to be excited about. We have a saying ... "Our home, on the road to somewhere" ... this coach really already feels like that home. It is comfortable, friendly in its colors and decor, functional, just a darn lot of fun to drive. I think we're going to be very happy for a while ... perhaps until my pal Steve Morrison gets another idea in his head that maybe we should think about moving up to the Mountain Aire!!!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great write up and pic's Dirk we will have two threads to add to QT's #3, yours & John's.
Now all we need is a Essex.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar