Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Why Can't we have a Newmar Gas Coach Sub Forum

I noticed that their is a sub forum for the Newmar Klub. After owning two Diesel Holiday Rambler coaches I chose a 2003 Gas Mountainaire on a Workhorse Chassis. Then went with a 2006 Diesel Dutch Star- because I thought it would be my last coach.

Now, we are getting a 2017 Canyon Star Gas Coach. I believe a Gas Coach Sub Forum would be a great Sub Forum for Newmar Owners. Having owned both, I know that there is huge difference in the needs and desires of the owners of Gas Coaches versus Diesel Coaches. Fortunately for us, Newmar makes, IMO, the premier Gas coaches in the Industry. That is why I am switching back - because for the money difference, amount of miles and time I will use the coach and since Ford came out with the it's 26,000 pound chassis with 6 speed transmission this coach will work for most of us.

After driving both and considering cost to purchase, maintenance cost and service locations - the Canyon Star and Bay Star coaches are great choices. For Snow Birds, again my opinion, is by far the best coach on the market. You get the same Newmar coach and quality as the Diesels. The weakness, which is minor, is the bathroom size in the gas coaches - but the 3953 works for us. If you want even more luxury - you can have your coach customized to get really close with furniture, counter tops, etc. as well. This kind of info about the gas coaches and what makes them drive and live in better is what a lot of us would like to know. Experience from other owners is the best advice and why should we all have to invent the wheel again - when others have done it before us?

After all, people should realize that on average Motor Home owners only drive a coach 5 to 6k miles per year - think about that number. I just came out of my 2006 Dutch Star after 10.5 years - it had 46,000 K miles on it!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Interesting concept, but as the owner of a Newmar gas coach, I still like reading all the Newmar posts. I like learning about diesel operations issues, an area where I am highly ignorant. And many of our coach glitches (the ones that are unrelated to engine power plant) have been solved by diesel Newmar owners who have had similar problems in the past.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #3

I agree with BOTH of the above. I too would like to see separate sub forums for DP's and gassers but agree there are many common issues, subjects, discussions that apply to all Newmars. One would only need to click on the main forum link to see all.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #4

With all the helpful stuff organised by 007 in the Newmar Tips and Tricks I think it would be awkward to try splitting it up...if it ain't broke why fix it
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
ALL Newmar owners are part of the "Newmar Owners" group & there are also many parts of a coach that overlap weather it is gas or diesel.

As a Newmar owner, I like to think that we are one family & I don't want to see the family divided. I think having a separate place for Newmar Gas owners sends a bad message.

It does seem that there are more inquiries & conversations from diesel owners than gas owners but I would hate to think that that discourages gas owners from being a part of this owners group. I don't think that is the case.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #6

I understand what people are saying. However, I start looking for news about Gas coaches and find I have to hunt and hunt. My main focus is now Gas. Anyone could still check each forum. When I have time I am looking at other forums motorhome and class a forums as well.

Now about this dividing people into Diesel and Gas owners as splitting us up - are you kidding me - really? I know I am new to this forum, but I have been a Newmar owner for almost 14 years - guess what - I know one other Newmar owner personally - because I sold my Dutch Star to him. So, if you are worried about dividing us - then something is wrong here! That is too political.

Just scan the topics on the forum, and see how many more - like 10 to 1 maybe - are about Diesel coaches in particular. I have asked questions and have had many Diesel people to chime in with info about their Diesel that is irrevelant to the gas question. It's great to they respond - but I am looking for input from someone with a similar coach. I look at it like this - If I wanted to know about Yellowstone National Park - I would get brochures on Yellow Stone National Park - I wouldn't collect brochures on all the other parks in the country to learn about Yellow Stone. I prefer to shoot with a rifle and get to the point, rather than shoot with a shotgun and hope to hit something by scattering.

If you notice we have the sub forum for the Klub. Have you looked at it - one item, I think, that has been posted in the last year! See, I don't see much of a need for it - based on it's use - yet that should be of much more interest to all owners if they are concerned about everyone.

It is everyone's opinion, but to me I also believe in the keep it simple stupid theory. Gas coach postings in one specific place and a general posting for other things. If you are interested in reading about your friends diesels or thinking of buying one, it is definitely not an issue to read about them on the forum.

One last point. I am interested in learning specificily about things for my new gas coach. Like tire choices, chassis size differences and nuiances about them, different batteries, where to locate additional equipment, how to make passenger seat more accessbile, changing layout, installing railings and grab bars, sizing of air conditioners and why, and on and on and on.

Bottomline, rather than being divided, I think you would find a lot more postings from gas owners if we had this forum to quickly go to. Plus, I hate to say it like this - because it is opposite of what I have posted - but I have found that the Big Diesel guys are a different crowd than the gas owners. It's not a Newmar thing - it's all Diesel big rig owners of all brands. They want to show off and compare their Newmar with other brands - in fact I would say most of them are more interested in other diesel owners in reality. All you have to do to see this point is read with an open mind all the post from other diesel owners on this forum. Asking for info. It's as my wife likes to say, "huzpah". It's not always of course, but it is kind of like Blue Collar and White collar guys. Maybe it's more like GM car clubs and Dodge car clubs - you just have a different interest because you want to know and express your opinions about what you know and have.

This post was not meant to categorize anyone, it is just an opinion, and I know I would read a gas forum religiously and check it first. I don't know how hard it is to set it up and do, so maybe I am way out of line - but it is my two cents worth.

Happy New Year to everyone! Can't wait to get my new Canyon Star!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote: Happy New Year to everyone! Can't wait to get my new Canyon Star! End Quote

As a happy owner of a 2013 Canyon Star 3911, I think that you will love your new Newmar gasser. CONGRATULATIONS 👏
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas Newmars

I too feel that sometimes the Newmar forum is for the diesel coaches. I also feel intimidated to comment on those topics because I have a gas coach. I also agree with having trouble finding topics on the Newmar forum that pertains to gas units. I don't know if a sub group is the answer but people with gas coaches need to feel comfortable posting here. I have to go to the Ford forum to talk about ride conditions. Where a same chassis with a Newmar body will handle different then a Winnebago will. I would rather get advice from a Newmar owner.
B.T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for your suggestion.

The Newmar forum is for all Newmar products, motorhomes and towables.

Newmar construction, assembly and installed supplier equipment is similar and sometimes identical across all units.

We have gas chassis forums, diesel engine forums, diesel chassis forums, technology forums, systems and appliances forums, etc., for discussions on those particular topics.

We feel a separate gas and diesel subforum would be redundant.

Too many forums and subforums make the site unwieldy and we don't want to make the site difficult to navigate or too complicated.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #10

I agree with all the comments of gamaliel kid. To work around it, I try to find all the gas newmar owners and follow their postings.
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gas & Diesel Here We go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Interesting concept, but as the owner of a Newmar gas coach, I still like reading all the Newmar posts. I like learning about diesel operations issues, an area where I am highly ignorant. And many of our coach glitches (the ones that are unrelated to engine power plant) have been solved by diesel Newmar owners who have had similar problems in the past.
What Patti and others have said we like it this way.

When I came here in 2004 the Newmar forum was over run with gas coach's problems and diesel owners were not to happy and wanted their own forum.

As a moderator I had no problem with the structure of forum and I began to make changes by placing coach related problems in the QT's that Route 66 started before I got here.

The QT's may need some new idea's and I am open to them.
Many people do read them but some just overlook them when the answer is staring them in the face and ask thier problem on forum.

Problems with BAY STAR, CANYON STAR and others can be found in QT's # 3 in a section dedicated to those coach's.

I have always had a gas coach but have learned a few things from my helpful diesel owners over the years.

So as long as I am here the forum will stay the same because as someone said it would get confusing for new people as to what link they should post in.

The Newmar line-up shows all their coach's togerther if they were to sell their gas coach group than maybe we would devide to new MFG but do not see that happening, Newmar is unique with their Handicap and short chassis gas coach's that overlap both diesel and gas.

Enjoy what ever coach you have and do drive safely in the new year, something I wish I could do again.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Look under RV forums and go to the Ford Chassis forum, lots of gas models are on Ford marketed chassis. tons of info there on all aspects of gas chassis.
Good place to fill in the blanks.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gamaliel Kid,
I do not see where this part of your second post is necessary it maybe taken out of context and offend some people, I will remove it.
You have made your points known which should cover your original post.

"Bottomline, rather than being divided, I think you would find a lot more postings from gas owners if we had this forum to quickly go to. Plus, I hate to say it like this - because it is opposite of what I have posted - but I have found that the Big Diesel guys are a different crowd than the gas owners. It's not a Newmar thing - it's all Diesel big rig owners of all brands. They want to show off and compare their Newmar with other brands - in fact I would say most of them are more interested in other diesel owners in reality. All you have to do to see this point is read with an open mind all the post from other diesel owners on this forum. Asking for info. It's as my wife likes to say, "huzpah". It's not always of course, but it is kind of like Blue Collar and White collar guys. Maybe it's more like GM car clubs and Dodge car clubs - you just have a different interest because you want to know and express your opinions about what you know and have."

Gas owner postings run in spurts when a new owner has a problem and you will find that going on in the chassis forums or gas coach forums, we also have gas owners that are excited of their decision to buy gas and will let us know that fact.

I will add if you find gas posts of interest to gas owners I will add them to the QT's # 3 BAY STAR, CANYON STAR Section, I have added some that people have posted threads that I thought gas owners may find of interest for MOD's and problem solving.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I agree "007" on this one. An unnecessary separation.

I would go even further to say there are already too many forums. Why do we need Class A, B, C, General and Toads forums? There all motorhomes. Why do I care what class it is?

It would be great if there was a "Uber" view of all the IRV2 forums. There are a surprising number of cool things I've learned by randomly exploring other forums including (Gasp!) some of the other owner's forums.

Sincerely,

Heretic Newmar Owner
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, gas, newmar