Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #1

Hello Everyone,
Actually, I'm an RV Wantabe. I'm still in the early process of "reviewing" the various RV manufactures, but Newmar appears to be in a class of its own. I've read with great interest the comments memebers have made concerning their Newmar experiences.
What I want to know is why Newmar? Is is truly the best product line out there? I envision owning an RV that is well made, reliable, and comfortable. I would like an RV that I can count on for years of quality service. Having said this, why do RVer's change their RV makes and models so frequently?
Please forgive my lack of knowledge(actually,I'can't even claim to be a beginning RVer). However, I find that time is well spent when we seek knowledge from those who know most. I'm hoping it is you guys. Thanks, Katie.
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #2

Hello Everyone,
Actually, I'm an RV Wantabe. I'm still in the early process of "reviewing" the various RV manufactures, but Newmar appears to be in a class of its own. I've read with great interest the comments memebers have made concerning their Newmar experiences.
What I want to know is why Newmar? Is is truly the best product line out there? I envision owning an RV that is well made, reliable, and comfortable. I would like an RV that I can count on for years of quality service. Having said this, why do RVer's change their RV makes and models so frequently?
Please forgive my lack of knowledge(actually,I'can't even claim to be a beginning RVer). However, I find that time is well spent when we seek knowledge from those who know most. I'm hoping it is you guys. Thanks, Katie.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #3

Hello KATIE: WELCOME to iRV2.com You have certainly come to the right place to begin your quest for knowledge about all things relating to RVing. Be sure to look around in all the various sections and post plenty of questions. You'll get lots of friendly advice from our members. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #4

Hi Katie, Welcome to the forum. Well, first of all, finding a quality built motorhome may not be as easy as one would think given the price tag. Newmar is one of the manufacturers that do produce a quality product. As far as having issues, particularly during the early period, all makes today seem to be subject to this. That is not to say all, but certainly most. The issues generally are supplier component related, therefore affect all makes.

As far as people changing and trading up, it is probably to get a newer product or newer available features and options.

Hope this is some help, I'm sure you will get other great input from other members.

Peter
Old 05-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Katie,
Welcome to iRV2. I think you'll find there are those who keep what they buy for many years and there are those who change RVs often. I keep my RVs (and cars and most other stuff) as long as it is servicable and the product meets my requirements. My RVs and cars are kept for 10+ years. I attribute this to ensuring I know my requirements before I buy. Actually, this is the hardest part about buying a motor coach. Getting my four pages of requirements down to 10 items I will not compromise on. Only then do I go shopping.

There are many reasons folks move to a new RV often. Some reasons might be:
1. they can afford to do it
2. the coach is covered by a warranty, there are no out of pocket unexpected repairs
3. the current coach dose not meet their needs. This usually come about because the RVer did not document and agree on their requirements before making a purchase
4. a lemon coach. The current coach broke so much during warranty there is no trust & confidence in the coach.
5. new gizmos and features on a new coach one can not do without.

My gut feel says the % of RVers that move to a new coach often is about the same as any other large purchase.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #6

We are now on our 5th class A. We owned the first for 7 years, the second for 8 years, the third for 8 years, the 4th for 2 years and are now driving the 5th one. 4 years and still going.

So, I don't think we change our rv's very frequently. We usually traded them in when their age and their mileage became detrimental. From the first to the 4th we bought the one that fit our requirements the best without regard to manufacturer. We did however rule out several makes because of reports of bad dealer or factory service or excessive problems.

The only time we changed rv's early was with the 5th one. The 4th was a gas class A and we loved it so much we upgraded to a diesel pusher from the same manufacturer. We were not disappointed and will keep it until we can drive no more.
gasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #7

Katie, I'll add my welcome to IRV2. It is clearly the best web site around for RVers. Someone out there can help you solve almost ANY problem - but none of us can make up your mind for you. I agree with Gary's comments about the reasons why many of us change RVs so often. Frankly it's like buying your first home. You don't know what you really want until you live in it for a while. Then you'll figure out what those items are for which you won't compromise. We bought an older used Bounder (1990) in 2002 to decide if we really wanted a MH. That didn't take long. A few months later we bought a new 2002 Adventurer (Workhorse Chassis, etc). After 25,000 miles on the gasser we realized that to full-time we really needed a diesel pusher -for power, storage and comfort. We were drawn to Newmar for quality - but the real kickers for us are floor plan and bed size. I'd like to suggest that you consider attending a Life On Wheels conference. It was the best thing we ever did to learn about RVing from a hands on experience. It's not a rally, but an educational experience. We've been twice and plan to attend again due to our moving up to a DP. All the instructors are full timers and many write for various RV magazines. These are always held on or near a college campus. Check out the web site at http://www.lifeonwheels.com/
We prefer the original site at U of Idaho in Moscow, ID. Well worth the time and money!
OpaRon
2005 Dutch Star model 4009
2002 4Runer Toad

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #8

Katie

My wife and I couldn't decide between a fifth wheel or a motorhome. In fact, my wife didn't want to have anything to do with an RV at all. What helped us make up our mind and also convince her was to rent a motorhome. We rented a 35 ft Winnebago with two slideouts and all the features we thought we would want. This was about the size we felt we would buy. After renting for three years (each time for two weeks) we had decided we wanted a motorhome and we had pretty much decided on the floor plan we wanted and the features we wanted. We had decided on a Newmar because of quality and to get it exactly the way we wanted, we ordered it new from the factory. I would suggest renting a class A once or twice to actually get the feel of the whole life style.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Katie to the Newmar forum and irv2
I can agree with the comments from everyone after owning a few coachs by different Mfg's I will not part with Newmar for any other. Great people at the factory site and a coach that will give you many reliable years of use. Have coverted a few of my friends to Newmars also and they are sure happy about their purchase, if it was new or used.
Thats not to say they are perfect we are human and mistakes can be made but Newmar will back their product in most cases. There are some good Dealers also and some are listed at top of this forum.
You are doing the right thing by shopping around irv2 and the different forums good luck in your desision and visit us often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #10

This is Katie and I would like to thank eveyone who responded to my question concerning the frequency with which RVers change their MH, 5er, and TT. Happy Highways to all. Katie.