Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #1

Wife bought a new Bay Star

My wife and I have been looking at new mhs and we both liked the BS 3103. We had hoped to order a 2016 which would give us a little more time to decide between the Tiffin 31sa or the BS 3103. Chris liked certain features of both but really wanted to keep the length as short as possible and this gave the advantage to the BS.
Since they dropped the 3103 model for 2016 and it was too late to order a 2015 the decision was not going to be made by us. I had been searching for a 2015 and found this model to be in short supply with none in WA state, except for a nos 2014 3103 which I had posted about on this forum a few months ago. That unit is still not sold. Keep in mind if not the BS 3103 we would be ordering a Tiffin 31sa. None of the 2016 Newmar floor plans interested us except the 3401, but it was 1 1/2 feet longer than the Tiffin 31sa. If we could have done a factory order and shopped the nation we could have found a much better deal. Waiting and being cautious ended up costing me a few thousand.
Just before our rv vacation I spotted a 2015 3103 surprisingly equipped with the over cockpit bunk. I had never found a 3103 with this option, I believe hard to find because the loft bed was introduced well after 2015 production began. This was an option that we both very much wanted.
We decided to start our road trip with a stop at the dealership to have a look. This particular unit was fully loaded beyond what we would have ordered, but at least there would be no wish we would haves. The dealer ordered three 3103's as soon as they were informed this unit was being axed. Apparently they were good sellers for them. This was to be the first 2015 3103 we had ever stepped into.
To make a long story short the dealership would not consider our offer and I was perfectly happy to walk. Chris however was very disappointed and offered to make up the difference to me out of her personal funds. The perfect deal was not as important to her as a discontinued rv she really liked, even more after physically examining the coach, plus the nice surprise of being outfitted with the rare loft bunk option in this model.
No, we did not show excitement to anyone at the dealership and talked about the Tiffin option and its advantages openly in the presence of the salesman. The salesman had all our contact info but he never called us after we left. He later said, he knew neither the manager nor I were going to move from our positions.
Over the next 10 days of our vacation Chris gently ground me into submission and we ended up purchasing the overpriced 3103. If it was just me I would have kept the old Bounder for the rest of my days, but Chris has never asked for much, she works hard and deserves something nice.
My brother and I picked up the rv a week later and we spent a few days getting home. This was my wifes suggestion, as it had been quite some time since we had traveled together and she wanted us to enjoy a little vacation with the new rv. At least the gas and propane tanks were full at delivery.
Since bringing home what I now call the Newmar Hay Stack for a couple of reasons, Chris has been just giddy outfitting her new rv and happy she picked the more compact sized coach. For me I try to rationalize the purchase, consoling myself with thoughts like I have lost and gained in the stock market in a single week the difference between the dealership price and my price. Other than those feelings, it seems to be a pretty well constructed coach, with only some minor adjustments needed and a few screws tightened, which I have already taken care of myself.
When defects are discovered in the first weeks of ownership what is the process of documentation? Do I inform Newmar? Since Chris has relatives in Nappanee, we could work repairs into a vacation before the warranty expires.

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations, Kevin and Chris!

I wish you many happy trails in your new BS3103.

-Tom
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would work through the dealer for warranty items if you have confidence with them who should also be working with Newmar for a big problem if the case.
There are some answers for possible problems on BS's section in QT's # 3 and from many members on this forum.
BS have been a popular coach and many have purchased them.
If you make up a list keep track of them to report the items you want Newmar repair to handle and give that info to Newmar with your build number or Vin# when you make the appointment with Newmar service and they will sent the paper work for your work, if you find something else to be work on just call Newmar with added information.
Congratulations and welcome to the Newmar family and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Kevin, I've been thinking about you since we last "chatted". Since we had similar criteria in what we wanted for a coach, I was just thinking about reaching out to you to update you on our search when I saw your post here. We came close to purchasing a 2015 3308 then a 3215 (which we really liked) but just couldn't get there on the price. I'm hoping that's a good thing because now we're looking at the 2016's. We too liked the 3103 but were bothered by the buffet/table that came into the living area just a little too far for our liking. And you're right they were hard to find in the NW! So now we're eyeing the 2016 Bay Star 3227 which I think is a lot like the 3103 but it has opposing slides so there is more room. Sadly no option for overhead bunk because we too liked that (since we didn't want a booth dinette). But we can't find a picture of the 3227 anywhere yet (not sure when they will be available to see)! So we don't know if it's THE one for us. I like that the 2016 has side bay doors (my DH didn't care about that). So we're thrilled for you guys, totally relate to the feelings about price and haggling. Bet you're glad the search is done though - this is exhausting!! Looking forward to meeting you on the road some day!!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote