Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #15

Gary, No I am just using the built on antenna and it's actually going through the wooden cabinette and the glass of the windshield and side windows. It works very well.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Kev,
Do you have any concern about lightening hitting the pole? Maybe I missed it, but I do not see a ground wire.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Kev,
Do you have any concern about lightening hitting the pole? Maybe I missed it, but I do not see a ground wire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does look like I am trying to gather up some bolts here The pole is typically 3-5" off the ground. It is held to the ladder via insulated clips. It is my hope that something taller and more attractive is close by in case that ever happens

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did a little work on the new AC595 last night. I updated firmware on the DIR-450. Re-installed the AC595 to the DIR-450 and moved the DIR-450 closer to glass. I don't have my new adapter cable for the antenna yet. The results were nothing short of fantastic. Using speakeasy.com/speedtest as a benchmark. Downlaod 1065kbps upload 264kbps. For being 15 miles south of Gilroy Cal., in the middle of nowhere, I am quite happy. Our Vonage phone works better than ever and the internet is once again fun to use.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Kev,
Being home based in South Florida, I am always concerned about lightening. With your setup, to help minimize the lightening possibility, consider putting as many wooden blocks as possible under your jacks. Or raise the jacks when there will be storms in the area you are in. When parked, the jacks ground your coach. I do not think the insulated brackets will help much, if lightening comes down the pole. Lightening will jump several feet to get to a ground path.

I have taken the same view as you. I try to insulate my coach so lightening will choose another place to strike.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #20

Another great idea is a portable weather alert radio. We set it to the county we are traveling in. It works great....Where are you traveling now?
buildergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #21

unfortunately ... back home in VA

doing things I let go for six months while in Florida. Next trip May North
Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Kev,
Being home based in South Florida, I am always concerned about lightening. With your setup, to help minimize the lightening possibility, consider putting as many wooden blocks as possible under your jacks. Or raise the jacks when there will be storms in the area you are in. When parked, the jacks ground your coach. I do not think the insulated brackets will help much, if lightening comes down the pole. Lightening will jump several feet to get to a ground path.

I have taken the same view as you. I try to insulate my coach so lightening will choose another place to strike. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary - thanks for the sound advice. I had not really thought about pulling the jacks up when the skies are charged. I have considered a whole-house surge protector, and will probably be more inspired now after this conversation. Not sure how that will handle a lightning strike, but doing everything I can to prevent a total meltdown would probably serve me best.

Thanks again for the advice -

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #23

Hi Peter! I hate to admit to it but, I have had that router in my coach since Jan. I never hooked it up. Next time I see you we will be hooking it up together, along with the Mud Flap mod, and what ever else you come up with by then! The one thing I wanted to try, my friend has used a cell phone repeater (around $350.) at his house. He has added a few bars with it. I was told it would work with our phone and also the router. Have you tried one yet? http://www.cellamericas.com/YX-dual-band-cell-phone-sig...ooster-pr-16349.html He is using the single band one. When he unplugs it, his bars on his phone drop down. I was told this unit acts just like a cell tower? I ordered an exterior cell antanae on our coach. I was hoping to hook it up to this. Do you think it will help with the aircard and phone. Here is a link to another model. http://www.alternativewireless.com/cellular-antennas/wi...ifier-dual-band.html I like the home one better as you can use it in the house also. Regards to Cherry. Paul
Old 05-03-2007, 05:03 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, scroll down in the page to GaryKD's post found
HERE

that deals with his cell phone booster mod...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #25

Hi! Bob great info! Thanks. I also would like to hear from Peter as to what he thinks. Paul
Old 05-04-2007, 03:11 AM   #26

Paul, As far as cell boosters/repeaters, there are many available on the market. Some better than other with many probably not worth it. A typical 3 db gain can usually be accomplished by merely having an external antenna. 3 db is about the difference found using a cell phone inside a vehicle in a fringe area compared to standing outside the vehicle. We have tested several repeaters in the past and found that few of the cheaper units perform well except the Smooth Talker. I have forwarded the link on this product to my office and we might order one to test. Should this happen I will post the findings.

Peter
Old 05-04-2007, 03:18 AM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Not much use going down the road,but I've solved the fringe cell experience by using a SAT phone...iDirect's latency is next to nothing....It does require a little more of an investment though.....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #28

I use GlobalStar Sat. phone which operates on CDMA and works great. I only need it when in the boonie boonies or when I go on a cruise. Speaking of which, we are leaving Vancouver Canada in September for a 1 month cruise ending in Aukland Newzealand.
Geez, Bob, how come my mirrors can't be at the elevation of yours? They work. Additionally your power window can afford you a view without the need to look through glass, the Essex does not.

Peter