RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #43

The low level SAT service idea was apparently shelved when WiMaxx municipal services looked far more promising. With far greater ranges than typical WiFi getting these systems up and running is far more attractive than shooting up Sats. Microsoft is very busy installing municipal WiFi services as is Google.

With the proliferation of 3G wireless and the increasing data rates for the non CDMA services like ATT/Cingular, SAT service is on the way out. The equipment remains expensive to support and it's only real benefit is in locations where other services aren't available which is fewer and fewer everyday. More and more sites are providing WiFi and as those costs come down, those services will get better and less expensive.

The day of the dish has come and gone. The service provider companies are putting the resources into WiMaxx, the mobile broadband we get now and so on. There is plenty of room to increase speeds far past what is economical with user direct SAT transmitters and receivers.

Besides, one less thing on top of the coach is better right?

maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #44

Wow, that's some story. I sure would like to see ANY evidence that anything you say about satellite service being on the way out is accurate.
Wildblue is the most recent company to ADD satellite internet service and their own satellite is due to come on line soon. Starband and Hughes are both still expanding their service and customer base.
Certainly city dwellers are going to have more and more options as time goes on and given a choice from any fixed location you would always choose Cable or DSL over satellite. However, since this is a forum for the RVer the satellite internet services will continue to be available and it would be my guess that they will continue to improve, just as they have over the last 5 years, as time goes by.

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #45
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The day of the dish has come and gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I respectfully disagree with your assertion,especially as I am the owner of a new and improved satellite internet/phone system.
I will agree metropolitan areas are indeed improving their wifi capabilities, but there will be a market for those of us with those things on the roof...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Type A cards are suppose to have higher speeds over the type O cards[kpc-650] is type O. I have heard of tests that say the card is able to hit high speeds of I think 4.6 Mb. I havn't got mine yet. I still use the kpc 650. I'm waiting for Alltel to release their model. I know it is supposed to be pc5750, I think thats the little bugger. I hope they come out with something better. Confused yet?? I stay that way, saves time!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Rebelsbeach, Tucson is suppose to have city-wide wi-fi buy next year, Or thats the poop for now. I would think that other Big City's will come out with something like that too!
Capt.Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The day of the dish has come and gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I respectfully disagree with your assertion,especially as I am the owner of a new and improved satellite internet/phone system.
I will agree metropolitan areas are indeed improving their wifi capabilities, but there will be a market for those of us with those things on the roof... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly and it will be a LARGE market. Have not been in a place where anything but a dish would work in almost six months! No cell service now. Thank goodness many RV parks are providing WiFi! Will have my dish when we get back to the continental states.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #49

Ain't that the good stuff?
"Tucson is suppose to have city-wide wi-fi buy next year, Or thats the poop for now"
There's nothing there now, but look what's coming!
"I would think that other Big City's will come out with something like that too!"
I would have thought that the promised flying car would have been here by now as well, but............
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #50

Just look at the subscriptions for EDVO vs satellite and that should be proof enough. Verizon is serving up 1.4 megs in most places now and that beats what Sats can do the for the price.

Here is the other benefit. You can take that card out of your router, shove it into your laptop and take off for the day and still have your connection.

The subscriptions for EDVO is going through the roof. Sats are nice but they come with a complexity and issues of their own. Personally, the less equipment I have to put on a roof the better I'll be, less holes, no direction finder/motor etc. When something goes poof, the nearest store gets me a new card if that's needed (but hasn't in over two years).

The there is cost. About 100 bucks gets you the router. The card is another bill with a contract and you are done. The difference buys a very long time of service compared to a SAT. For the savings I can hire a runner if I realy need to. :-)

Now if I'm going to be that far gone that only a Sat will do, my idea is that I want to be GONE, not waiting for an email ;-)

BTW, just downloaded OpenOffice 2.2 at 105 megs, took just a few mintes with Verizon. I use it for Skype phones too. Free telephone access and with Skype out, super cheap calls to any landline.

I'll agree that sometimes only a SAT will do but those times are getting fewer and you know, sometimes I'd like to be able to use an excuse like there was no service. My idea (maybe it's just me) was that with an RV I could get away from it all, not take it with me.

Regards.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #51
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sometimes I'd like to be able to use an excuse like there was no service. My idea (maybe it's just me) was that with an RV I could get away from it all, not take it with me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice that we live in a world where we each can have what we want...I'm enjoying taking it with me...
Old 06-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #52

Exactly. Now about me borrowing your connection...

Old 06-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #53

Here's another option for those of you that are itching for mobile internet service and are too confused to purchase a sat dish or an aircard. It's a USB720 from Verizon (other service providers have them also, but the number is probably different). It provides EVDO service like the evdo cards mentioned above...broadband in almost all metro areas and slower connection speeds in other areas...but it plugs into the USB port on your computer. Upside...more versitile-you can swap it from computer to computer (laptops AND desk models), even if they don't have a card slot. Downside...the router option allows multiple users - the USB version only allows one computer at a time. At least I don't know of a router with USB input.
I love my USB mobile internet!
pinewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #54
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's a USB720 from Verizon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the couples awaiting service in Nappanee had one of these....Works the same as an air card with the convenience of USB.