RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #1

I just installed a Kyocera KR1 wireless aircard router in my coach. Now my single Kyocera aircard operates an 802.11 wifi transmission throughout and around my entire coach. I installed it above the driver in the overhead compartment and wired it through the non active switch that is labelled "Pre Engine Heat". All I have to do now is turn the switch and 45 seconds later I have wifi speeds up to about 1 mb per second. This works as well driving as it does stopped. The location being so high in the coach enhanses the signal when compared to single in computer use.
Life just doesn't get any better.

Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #2

I just installed a Kyocera KR1 wireless aircard router in my coach. Now my single Kyocera aircard operates an 802.11 wifi transmission throughout and around my entire coach. I installed it above the driver in the overhead compartment and wired it through the non active switch that is labelled "Pre Engine Heat". All I have to do now is turn the switch and 45 seconds later I have wifi speeds up to about 1 mb per second. This works as well driving as it does stopped. The location being so high in the coach enhanses the signal when compared to single in computer use.
Life just doesn't get any better.

Peter

Old 04-30-2007, 05:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using the KR1 since it first shipped. I have really been impressed with it, with little to no problems. My only wish was that it allowed VPN to be passed through properly. Other than that, I love it.

Two suggestions: when upgrading firmware, follow the instructions precisely. I have read about quite a few guys having problems. I have always been successful. Number two: watch your used bandwidth (if using Verizon), especially if you have more than just yourself on the router. They are sticklers about the 5gb/mo limit.

My co-pilot shops, makes reservations, finds interesting facts about where we are when we are driving. She loves being connected on the road!

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

How 'bout that Peter...you'll soon enough have everything,shy of the engine,that I have in the LADB...

The LADB came with the wireless cell and router installed but I've never activated it,given I already had an air card AND of course the beast on the roof for use when stopped.

Nice install...I've cross linked this to the technology forum as well.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #5

What aircard model - what service plan and how is coverage in the boondocks ???

I have a 1x phone with office kit and use it for backdoor Interent access when hotspots are not available. I have tried other cards but haven't seen any improvement over the phone access.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #6

OK My solution was ..... I nstalled a "BlackCat" wireless antenna for my LG 8300
(Verizon), then I purchased a "Mobil Office
Kit". With Verizon VZAccess Manager I have
National or Broadband access thru my Cell.

Works Great !!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #7

Hi Ecker, I do not have a card !!
Both my HP's (! 7620n Slimline and 9020dv Laptop are wireless built in.
The Verizon Wireless BroadBand (59.95 unlimited per month) has the WiFi also.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I started out with a KR1 and a Kyocera KPC-650. The KR1 kept crashing. Sent it back to the seller and bought a Dlink DIR-450. Works perfectly. Had an opportunity to get a new Verizon AC595 Rev A card over the weekend. The Dlink will work with it, (after a firmware update) but the reception on the AC595 is not nearly as good as the KPC-650. Now I'm waiting for an antenna adapter cable to come in the mail so I can use my booster antenna on the AC595 to get a better signal. So far, the results that I'm getting are actually slower then my Rev 0 card was getting. I am also getting disconnects often, as it was reported at evdoforums.com. New firmware for the AC595 is supposed to be coming from Verizon in July.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retird2Golf:
Hi Ecker, I do not have a card !!
Both my HP's (! 7620n Slimline and 9020dv Laptop are wireless built in.
The Verizon Wireless BroadBand (59.95 unlimited per month) has the WiFi also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a GW laptop with Centrino. I have a Dell laptop w/o wi-fi and am thinking of buying a iMacBook Pro w/Airport or Centrino if they start to use it on Intel version to test a few things. I use the GW and Dell (with card) for hotspots and the phone for off hour free time for non-hotspot locations. I have tried expensive cards with antennas and found no real improvement in reception over cheaper varities or the phone. Centrino will have a new release shortly which is supposed to be a major improvement in performance and one of my contacts says the plastic case on the Mac gives significantly improved pperformance over other case materials in his side by side comparisons.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #10

Soooooo many toys and so little time !! MY laptop has AMD Turion TL-56 Dual Core 64x2 processor
Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
I started out with a KR1 and a Kyocera KPC-650. The KR1 kept crashing. Sent it back to the seller and bought a Dlink DIR-450. Works perfectly. Had an opportunity to get a new Verizon AC595 Rev A card over the weekend. The Dlink will work with it, (after a firmware update) but the reception on the AC595 is not nearly as good as the KPC-650. Now I'm waiting for an antenna adapter cable to come in the mail so I can use my booster antenna on the AC595 to get a better signal. So far, the results that I'm getting are actually slower then my Rev 0 card was getting. I am also getting disconnects often, as it was reported at evdoforums.com. New firmware for the AC595 is supposed to be coming from Verizon in July. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, why did you drop the KPC 650?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The KPC-650 is a Rev 0 card. Uploads about 40-60kbps and downloads at around 300-500kbps depending on time of day, weather or ??? The new AC595 card is a Rev A. Uploads are reported to be better than 300kbps and downloads above 1megabit. I need to put files on our webspace for people in our business to access. Some of them 30-50 meg in size. You can imagine how long it'll take at speeds slower then dial up to upload to our server. The Rev A should of resolved this issue. We are currently parked in San Juan Bautista, south of Gilroy Ca. I'm not thinking Rev A is being broadcast there as my speeds are quite slow. I'll have a better feel for it when I can attach my antenna to the card this week.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Peter,
Did you put an external antenna on the roof or is your reception coming through the coach fiberglass?
thanks,
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The reception in my coach is surprisingly good during normal operation. I have mine set by my back window, so I am sure that helps. When I am on a fringe area, I use a Wilson Trucker Antenna on a very large aluminum pole. Tends to get a bar or two extra. I also have an amplifier, but have not had the need to use it yet.

The big advantage I have found with using the KR1 with my KPC-650 while driving is that it will auto connect when the signal drops. With the laptop software I have, I need to physically click the Connect button when it drops.

I have very few drops when I am stationary. Been very happy with the KPC650, but will upgrade to a Rev A card when I am feeling rich and can replace the card and the router.

Here is a pic of my antenna and "backup" system (copilot not included)

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote