RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
KJB

Will Canyon Star 3610 be on 24K Chassis?

I am new to the Newmar forum so forgive me if this has been discussed in the past. I tried a search but did not find anything. Having just sold my motorhome, I am in the market for a new one. I am considering Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago. The Newmar I am considering is the Canyon Star 3610. It is amazing how identical this floorplan is to the Tiffin 36LA which is the Tiffin model I am looking at. My disappointment with the 3610 is that it is on the 22K chassis where the 36LA is on the 24K chassis which I prefer. I likely won’t be ordering until the 2014 models are available to order. Has anybody heard of any speculation that Newmar might offer the 3610 on the 24K chassis?

KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi KJB - Not sure anyone here will have the knowledge to answer your question. The 2013 CS3610 is listed with the 22k chassis on Newmar's web site but Newmar is usually very accommodating on special requests so maybe the 24k chassis would be available at extra cost. Would suggest you contact them for an answer @ 1.800.731.8300. The Canyon Star is an excellent coach IMO.

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
KJB

Updating an old thread. We flew from WI to FL and finally got to see a Canyon Star 3610 “in the flesh” at North Trail in Fort Myers yesterday. They have 3 in their inventory and what amazed me is that all 3 are on the 26K chassis. Dan the salesman told us they know most buyers are concerned about weight capacity so North Trail ordered all theirs with the 26K chassis. We are still working on our comparison between the Tiffin 36LA and the CS 3610 and there are things we like about each one as compared to the other. North Trail also had a 36LA so it was convenient to do a side by side comparison at the same location. Bottom line is if I special ordered a CS 3610 upgraded from a 22K chassis to a 26K chassis it would not be such a unique thing.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

I'm aware Ford offers the F53 in a range of capacities, but just want to suggest you "trust, but verify" the salesman's claim.

Make sure the 26K is the actual GVWR, because the 26K "could be" just the GCVWR of a 22K chassis.

Sorry I'm such a pessimist........ but you would not be the first who was told what they wanted to hear. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm aware Ford offers the F53 in a range of capacities, but just want to suggest you "trust, but verify" the salesman's claim.
The easiest way to verify the chassis capacity is to do a VIN seach on Ford's fleet website. My coach was listed standard with the 22K chassis but was actually built on a 26K chassis.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
The easiest way to verify the chassis capacity is to do a VIN seach on Ford's fleet website. My coach was listed standard with the 22K chassis but was actually built on a 26K chassis.
Just did that but it only showed up as a range:
GVWR Range: 19,501 - 26,000 Pounds
twosmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
KJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

Make sure the 26K is the actual GVWR, because the 26K "could be" just the GCVWR of a 22K chassis.

Sorry I'm such a pessimist........ but you would not be the first who was told what they wanted to hear. Ed
Your point is well taken and now that you mention it I wish I had looked at the chassis label closer. I did see 26,000 but now you have me wondering if it was GVCWR. The RV option list also said something like “Chassis upgrade included in base price” so they still might have been the 26K chassis. In my case I would be ordering a 2014 and I would make certain I was getting a true 26K chassis.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosmac View Post
Just did that but it only showed up as a range:
GVWR Range: 19,501 - 26,000 Pounds
Talk about CRS.......you are correct, the VIN search only gives the range not the actual model. I hadn't checked it since my coach was new so forgot. My coach has a Ford sticker on the wall next to the driver's seat that gives the GVWR info, that IS the easiest way to check.

Tags
chassis