Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

Will Oasis keep water and sewage tanks from freezing at -12 celcius

maybe a stupid question but we're new to the oasis system. We want to be able to use the toilet while travelling from northern alberta to the US in a couple of days - would make things a lot easier but not sure whether it is a good idea to put water into the tanks given the temps from here to the US.
Sun Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Grab a gallon of RV antifreeze and pour 1/2 gallon in both the black and grey tanks (down the drain in the kitchen, bathroom, and shower, and down the toilet)...they'll be fine.

For the fresh water tank, I would fill it. That's because water has high thermal energy and it takes a lot of cold to freeze it. Your rig is set up to 'leak' a certain amount of warmer then outside air into the wet bays and keep the tanks warm too.

Try to be conservative about water use so you don't fill the tanks to quickly. You want to be where it's warm for a couple days before needing to dump as the dump valve might freeze shut. So toilet use only, no showers or doing the dishes.

Your rig has the Oasis system and waste heat from the running engine will be piped near the tanks to keep them warm. Same when you're parked and using the furnace.

Don't think you have much to worry about. Nice system.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have Oasis AC I & II turned on. Here is an image from my “Temp Stick” reading this AM. My Temp Stick is located in our Essex wet bay for monitoring. This morning at 6:45 AM it was 7F! As you can see from the graph, the system keeps the wet bay above freezing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5E603DB-FA55-4D9B-97DB-E72F0C646AA3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	269792  
Old 12-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

thanks for the info. We will be parked and the engine not running overnight although the coach will be plugged in and the oasis running for heat - will it still stop any freezing?
Old 12-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

we have a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - didn't see any temp stick. Sounds like running the AC 1 and 2 will do the trick though but a little gun shy about doing this.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #6

can you buy an after market temp stick as th9is would be handy for us.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see you have a DS 4018 helpful if you were to put in a signature line.

While traveling you will only have the Oasis burner unless running your generator but this will keep the wet bay above freezing. When stopped overnight with shore power you have heating pads under the gray/black holding tanks you can turn on. You should be just fine, enjoy the trip to warmer climates.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #8

You can stop at a WalMart...they have wireless temperature transmitters with a receiver. You can stick one on the fresh water tank, another behind the grill of the RV, and the third in the wet bay to monitor what the temps are.

BTW, those tanks have some 'give' to them in the event that the liquid freezes inside. Been there, saw that, no damage when they melted. I was careful to get some antifreeze into the pipes to the two drain valves so the guillotine valves wouldn't freeze.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

thanks - didn't know how to add info. re: coach - will do that now. Where are the heating pads - there is nothing on the switches that would indicate heating pads. Looked through the Newmar book and no info.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Star View Post
thanks - didn't know how to add info. re: coach - will do that now. Where are the heating pads - there is nothing on the switches that would indicate heating pads. Looked through the Newmar book and no info.
We had 2017 and switches were in the overhead cabinet with the Oasis. Not sure they may have deleted them, in our 2020 they no longer install them.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #11

you're right - was outside checking and we do not have heat pads. Thinking they have another system but not sure what it is.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
you're right - was outside checking and we do not have heat pads. Thinking they have another system but not sure what it is.
I asked about them during PDI on current coach (2020) and was told Newmar decided they just weren’t needed.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
can you buy an after market temp stick as th9is would be handy for us.
Right HERE!. The Temp Sticks have a multitude of uses... I leave a Cellular WiFi Hot Spot activated in the coach. The Temp Stick reports on once an hour. I have the “Cloud” send me an email if the Temperature is below a certain temp. The email reports the current temp so I can monitor the coach while away from it. The system uses very little data consumption as it only reports Temp/Humidity once an hour!
Old 12-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #14

I have the same coach. There is a resister in the wet bay that turns on automatically when the temp. drops to 45 degrees F. as long as the Oasis is turned on. In cold weather IMHO I would turn the burner on or both the burner and the electric elements. 50,000 BTU from the burner compared to 10,000 BTU from the two elements. FYI while driving, the Oasis gets heated by the engine coolant, but the burner needs to be on. Once the engine is up to operating temp. the burner will not run. Hope this helps Harlan

Tags
oasis, sewage, tank, water