Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Wind whistle

Anybody have any experience with wind whistle coming from windshield dash area. New 2012 dsdp 4346. Had it back to dealer for slide adjustment they attempted to fix wind whistle but they failed. Said they had it fixed apparently they are tone deaf. Have checked under hood area and added more spray foam hoping to help situation but no luck so far. Hope someone can help out here.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your windshield glass slips in rubber gasket it can cause a wind whistle.
Look up along the top of windshield maybe on a ladder outside for a gap where windshield has separated from gasket.
You can also get whistles from the window drain vents people have partially taped the slot to cut down the noise.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #3

X2 for windshield slipping the gasket. We had that happen and I am a bit deaf but the DW tracked it down. We also had a whistle in our old coach from the screen door gasket but you knew it was not from the windshield area.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #4

Are you sure its not coming from the drain holes in your drivers side window. An easy way to check is put some tape over the holes and see if it goes away
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A very common cause of the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar10 View Post
Are you sure its not coming from the drain holes in your drivers side window. An easy way to check is put some tape over the holes and see if it goes away

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwokhunter
Anybody have any experience with wind whistle coming from windshield dash area. New 2012 dsdp 4346. Had it back to dealer for slide adjustment they attempted to fix wind whistle but they failed. Said they had it fixed apparently they are tone deaf. Have checked under hood area and added more spray foam hoping to help situation but no luck so far. Hope someone can help out here.
The 2012 DSDP windshields are bonded with polyurethane adhesive. The rubber trim ring is just that a trim ring and not used in the sealing of the windshield. I think the Factory technician that worked on our unit called it "lace". . If the adhesive has popped loose anywhere around the windshield not only will you get wind noise but I would expect water will soon follow. I believe the only way to fully inspect the polyurethane is to completely remove the rubber windshield lace. While at Newmar Factory Service this past summer, I had them remove and replace the trim/lace on our 2012 as ours had a ripple and I was concerned the ripple would allow water in. I had the opportunity then to see the coach without the trim and how the windshield was bonded to the front cap and they showed me the trim/lace is more for look than sealing. Once this trim/lace is removed, Newmar told me it needs to be replaced with a new piece. On our 2012 DSDP, I do hear some wind noise from the drivers side window, and attribute it to the drains as others have mentioned here. Once I understand a noise I usually fix it or accept it, and I have come to accept the minor wind noise from the window drains. Since the 2012 does not have a generator slide out, not much on the front to cause wind noise. I know some other 2011 and 2012 owners have had wind noise from the entry door after dealers mistakenly loosened the latch to make door opening/closing easier.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Whistle not coming from weep holes taped them up to check that out. After 300 plus miles today I am inclined to believe it is door. Will have DW drive part way home so I can check it out.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote