Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Window instead of headboard

We are going to Nappanee on the 24th to meet with Michele to finish our build sheet, pick colors, etc. was looking at 2016 delivery thread that FRasco started. He and his wife decided on a window instead of a headboard. I would be interested to find out if they had to do it over again would they still do it. Also would be interested in views from other members. We are really interested in this special order. We will be ordering in Dec.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I can't speak of a Newmar but our old coach had a window instead of a head board. We didn't like it. The shades always seemed to be messed up. I never felt I could get a good night sleep because of it. I like to squnch my pillow up to the head board and sleep on it. I couldn't do that. I felt like I slept lower in the bed with my feet hanging off. I'm only 5'11, there is no reason my feet should hang off of the bed.

Just my .02
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most I have seen they had the side windows in slide with the high beds.
I had one on head board but our bed was lower than the new beds now, we found no problem with it there, plus it had the awning type window opening with screen.
The HOOT's threads may have some answers for you also in QT's # 3.
Good luck in your trip to Newmar,
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

I think a lot of people would swap the headboard for a window that opens to improve ventilation.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure what model coach you're looking at but I was told (after we picked up the coach) if you order the sleep number bed, it eliminates the side windows, there was no mention of a headboard (we have one). I didn't know that and thought that if you didn't specify anything, you still got the sleep number, just not a "bender". We got just the regular bed with the windows and are very happy. I wouldn't like not being able to look out, claustrophobic I guess. Plus they open a bit for ventilation.The DW thinks the bed is a bit lumpy but we have a tempurpedic at home, so anything other than that would be lumpy.
HTH
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

We had a headboard window in the Safari and it was just OK. She always felt to "vulnerable" to sleep with it open so there went the ventilation advantage. Then there was the unwanted light if one wanted to sleep in. Of course that was with the old day/night shades. I have to admit since having the Newmar (without window) neither of us has ever said we sure miss the window.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Have had experience with window behind head..didn't like it. Side windows provide much better cross ventilation.

On the new DSDP, it's our understanding if you order the electric bed (hob goes up), then the side windows get deleted due to the window valances being too wide.

I prefer some ventilation!
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I guess I should have added that we will be ordering the 4018 Dsdp.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

We have the bed that tilts up and also kept the side windows by eliminating the side valences. There is still a valence over the top. The bed tilts up and down just fine. I use these windows quite often when running the bathroom fan so as not to draw air from the front of the coach. Usually my wife is cold enough without me adding to it.

It would be nice if the bathroom emergency window opened.

It's okay for a man to smell like bacon.
Italian Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window