RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Anyone with the large one piece windshield have a Sun Screen? There is a lot of glass to cover, and I'm looking for what works best. Also the top of the windshield is way out of reach without a ladder.

I see there are snaps, twist fasteners, velcro, straps, and suction cups used for attaching the screen, and some systems must be easier than others.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone with the large one piece windshield have a Sun Screen? There is a lot of glass to cover, and I'm looking for what works best. Also the top of the windshield is way out of reach without a ladder.

I see there are snaps, twist fasteners, velcro, straps, and suction cups used for attaching the screen, and some systems must be easier than others.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #3

There are several Newmar, one piece windsheild coaches, that have the outside covers installed here. They look great and only require about 4 snaps. Yes you do need a ladder to install or remove. I did not opt for any as we face a lake and love the total full view, day and night.
But, they look cool.

Peter
Old 12-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #4

To; ROUTE 66

Re; Windshield Covers,

Everytime I watch someone putting on the outside covers I REALIZE HOW lucky I was when I bought the INSIDE covers, not for 1 piece shield, but 1 piece would be easier to install.

My covers have suction cups and this is the 3rd rig I've used them on.

I bought them at the RV TOY STORE in California, and you don't have to make any holes in rig and if it in a bad weather situation outside, who cares, these go on the inside.

Hope this info helps..

=== AIME==== AJBJRVERS====
Old 12-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use Motor Coach Designs (MCD) privacy screens on all my windows. They do require a ladder to install. A ladder is not required to remove the screens. At this time, the snaps are no problem for me. I like clean windows. This means I am on a ladder anyway, cleaning the windows. I use the privacy screens when we will be parked for 3 days or longer. In the daytime they allow one to look outside. If outside the coach, one can not look into the coach. At night the interior privacy curtains need to be closed. The screens really help with Summer AC. Keeping the heat off the glass makes a big difference in the coach staying cool. I also have MCDs power visors. They do an excellent job of blocking the sun and more importantly, cutting down on the glare that materializes on a bright and sunny day.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #6

Take a close look at the Prompt RV Sunscreen. I use it on my Mountain Aire and it's great. No snaps, velcro or ladder needed, suction cups optional but not necessary. It uses a clip that clips on the edge of a front side window. Each end of the screen has a 1 inch wide aluminum bar running up and down. All you do is put the clip on the window and unroll the sunscreen across the windshield and then clip the other side. You can see out great during the day and nobody can see in. At night, you need to use your inside curtains for privacy.

See the video on the web site:

http://www.rvsunscreen.com/

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #7

I ordered the Prompt RV Sunscreens for my 2007 MADP one piece windshield. I gave up after trying twice to get one to fit. I have one for sale. The windshield is to large for the aluminum bars to handle.

John
2007 MADP
hoosier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #8

Hi John

I'm curious how the Prompt RV sunscreen doesn't fit? One trick I found on mine is that I put the screen on before I level the coach. Otherwise with my short arms, it's difficult to reach up and roll the screen across the windshield. Is this what you mean or is it that they just didn't get it cut / made to the right size?

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

RV Sunshade is another option....Uses the snaps instead of the bar and suction method...

I've talked to this gentleman and he's going to be in and around Tampa in January.

Still weighing all the options....need a scorecard!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Still weighing all the options....need a scorecard! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's where I am, looking at all the various products.

We should be able to find just about every type being used by folks camped at the Tampa show, and get their opinions.

There should be several vendors there also.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Had sun screens made for our KSDP 3910 at the Tampa RV show in Nov. Could not believe how much the heat thru the windshield was reduced.
RV Sun Screens of Florida did a real nice job
Will be at 07 Show with Newmar group Take a look them they are brown.

Joe & Barbara

2005 KOUNTRY STAR 3910
2004 LIBERTY

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #12

<span class="ev_code_RED">MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE</span>

We had RV Sunshade on our Revolution and liked the look and fit. We realize it may take more time and effort to put them on but its worth it...
We will have them put on our new Essex as soon as we can.

Ernie and Gabi in winter wonderland, Colorado
g_essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Gordon from RVSunshades has offered to meet me in the Fort Myers area prior to the Tampa Rally if anyone would be interested...
I know he uses the snap method,but I'm thinking that "when I put them on" they'll be there for weeks at a time,so it'd not be that big of a deal and may be a better way to fit...

As always would love to hear the pros and cons...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Still weighing all the options....need a scorecard! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am like the rest of you who are waiting on the sideline. I may come to Tampa for one day, so I will try and weigh what all the vendors have.

I loved the inside sunscreen with suction cups I had before, but no one is making one I like for application for the large single piece windshields of the new rigs. They all help, but some sure are easier than others to install.

cwg is offline   Reply With Quote