RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #1

Windshield rock picks, any experiences with patches?

On our 3 week journey to Albuquerque and back, we experienced 2 rock picks in our DS windshield in NM and TX. Both have been repaired with the spot patches. Now the question is how long can I expect these to last in such a large windshield. I have found they are virtually permanent repairs in a standard auto windshield, But I donít have any experience with this large window that has a lot more flexing occurring.

Should I be looking for a new windshield in the near future, or can I expect these patches to hold for a long time?

Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

Over the past 10+ years, I've had many rock pits repaired. (3 different Diesel pushers) These repairs were done professionally and via "do it yourself kits"

All have held up with no further damage from those repairs

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Over the past 10+ years, I've had many rock pits repaired. (3 different Diesel pushers) These repairs were done professionally and via "do it yourself kits"

All have held up with no further damage from those repairs
I agree they work great
Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

I did a good sized one in the center lower third of my previous coach windshield. Lasted 2.5 years when I traded.
DrPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We've had similar good experiences with professional windshield repairs. They held up just fine over time. I think the key is to have the repair done very soon after the damage occurs.

TJ
Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

We were traveling through Canada in September 2015. Windshield got kissed by a rock thrown from a dirt truck. We pulled into a little town outside of Calgary and went to an auto glass shop. Because the temps were dropping quite low that night the shop did one of those patch jobs. What ever they did, it worked well. We still have that windshield in our rig. I have to agree that getting it done quickly by a well qualified shop is the key.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #7

I have had some done and I did some myself with a kit. I never had an issue. 5 months ago I got a rock near the edge of the windshield, the shop that fixed it told me that chips on the edge often turn into cracks. Mine did. I had to have a new windshield.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
On our 3 week journey to Albuquerque and back, we experienced 2 rock picks in our DS windshield in NM and TX. Both have been repaired with the spot patches. Now the question is how long can I expect these to last in such a large windshield. I have found they are virtually permanent repairs in a standard auto windshield, But I donít have any experience with this large window that has a lot more flexing occurring.

Should I be looking for a new windshield in the near future, or can I expect these patches to hold for a long time?

I have use safelite auto glass several times. They come to the campsite, repair and stand behind their work. My insurance company pays 100% (Progressive in our case).
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #9

Me too

Just took a short trip. Heard a little tick on the windshield. Then saw a bulls-eye chip right in the center (about the size of a dime). Safelight came out today and through no fault of theirs (giving them the benefit of the doubt) it turned into a crack about 24" wide. So now I'm looking at my full deductible. But worse than that, there is no SafeLight RV repair center near me. So they are looking into other repair shops that can do the work. I called Newmar for suggestions and they said to call the local Newmar repair shop. I did and they recommended a local Auto Glass repair center. I'm worried now. And poor. This is the first time a chip turned into a crack for me. It hurts...
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReif View Post
Just took a short trip. Heard a little tick on the windshield. Then saw a bulls-eye chip right in the center (about the size of a dime). Safelight came out today and through no fault of theirs (giving them the benefit of the doubt) it turned into a crack about 24" wide. So now I'm looking at my full deductible. But worse than that, there is no SafeLight RV repair center near me. So they are looking into other repair shops that can do the work. I called Newmar for suggestions and they said to call the local Newmar repair shop. I did and they recommended a local Auto Glass repair center. I'm worried now. And poor. This is the first time a chip turned into a crack for me. It hurts...
I know what that feels like.
I have not used them yet but this place might be a possibility............https://www.rvglassparts.com/
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 6 month old DS 4018 and also took on a golf ball sized nick in our windshield in southern Texas. I am hoping that because it is closer to the center of the windshield the integrity of the glass will keep it from cracking. We will try to miss all of the bumps in the road during our trip all the way home to NC.
We have a $1,000 deductible with Foremost Insurance so I guess the repair will be on us! From what I have read a $1,000 deductible may not be that bad when replacing a new $4,000 windshield. Personally I would only have it replaced at the Factory.
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkonney View Post
We have a 6 month old DS 4018 and also took on a golf ball sized nick in our windshield in southern Texas. I am hoping that because it is closer to the center of the windshield the integrity of the glass will keep it from cracking. We will try to miss all of the bumps in the road during our trip all the way home to NC.
We have a $1,000 deductible with Foremost Insurance so I guess the repair will be on us! From what I have read a $1,000 deductible may not be that bad when replacing a new $4,000 windshield. Personally I would only have it replaced at the Factory.
If the crack is smaller than a dollar bill, call someone and get it fixed right away before it spreads. We got hit on the driver side and had a star crack a little over a year ago. Called Safelite at our first stop. They came to the campground and fixed it. The repair is still good and was much less visible after they repaired it. The picture is before we fixed it.

Leaving the Hoots rally this year, we got hit again this time on the passenger side. This one was very loud and much more visible. My wife immediately called Safelite to get an appointment and as she was talking on the phone the crack spread about two feet.

We are currently scheduled to get a new windshield at Midway RV using Duncan glass, per my insurance company early November.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	223761  

Tags
windshield