Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #1

Windshield Sag

Has anyone had experience with a windshield sagging? We recently found out that the right side of our windshield is working its way out causing a gap that water can get through. The left side had a much smaller gap, about 1", that I filled with dicor. The right side is much bigger and I cannot keep it filled with dicor at this time. I have called a repair place and they said they can pull the windshield, clean it up and reset it but there is a strong possibility that they will crack and we will have to buy new.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 05:49 AM   #2

i should think that the windshield sagging is a symptom of a larger issue.....

the windshield wouldn't move unless other thing(s) were letting it do it.....

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

On most Newmar's the windshield is held in with silicone. That means the windshield needs to be pulled out and re - siliconed. We have had 3 windshields replaced in our Essex since new and every one of them leaked because the installer didn't put enough silicone sealer and that's is most likely your problem.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #4

We have the Spartan Chassis and have heard there has been some issues with the frame flexing causing the windshields to move. We bought it off the DW uncle and he had the right windshield replaced approximately 20 months ago. He told us to keep it on pavement and we have just not sure how it moved so much. I have spoken with a repair place and trying to figure out if and when to get it pulled and resealed. Anyone else have issues with frame flex causing windshields to move?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our BayStar windshield moved after a trip where we went over rough roads and parking lots. There was a leak from the top and the windshield had shifted to the left, leaving a gap on the top right. The repair person was able to resilicone the top and sides and moved the windshield back to the right without removing the windshield. He removed the rubber "rope" that holds the gasket in, and the windshield moved. We lucked out!!
Janet59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #6

Windshield sag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinOH View Post
We have the Spartan Chassis and have heard there has been some issues with the frame flexing causing the windshields to move. We bought it off the DW uncle and he had the right windshield replaced approximately 20 months ago. He told us to keep it on pavement and we have just not sure how it moved so much. I have spoken with a repair place and trying to figure out if and when to get it pulled and resealed. Anyone else have issues with frame flex causing windshields to move?
Had similar issues with my 2000 Dutch star DP. My windshield rubber gasket was 15 years old. It was soft and pliable so first glass shop said don't replace it, WRONG. The rubber gasket should be somewhat pliable but stiff. Diagonal measurement of total window opening (top left passenger corner to driver side lower corner and vice versa) should be within 1/8" to max of 1/4" of each other.
Windshield rubber should be urethane/glued in to body and glass sections urethaned into rubber gasket and coach not moved for 24-48 hrs
Old 08-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

Our windshields are both working themselves out of their places, which we discovered driving from Orlando, where the service center had our coach for almost 2 months doing other work. The RV glass guys are supposed to replace the gasket and reseat them on Friday. Both windshields were replaced 4 years ago, but not the gasket. Still don't know how it happened. We are replacing the gasket and praying the windshields stay intact during the work.
vjkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

I will be having the gaskets replaced when we have them pull and reset. I was told that there is always a chance that the windows will break when then pull them which does not make me feel any better.