Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #1

Windshield sun screens

Have read the posts about sun screens, and am still learning about all the advantages of the different makes. Magne shade, and RV sunshade seem to be top notch, and also pricey.
Can anyone provide feed back on these... both are outside mounted.
RV Windshield Covers of Florida.
Prompt RV Sunscreen.
I am not against having to use a ladder.
I have also fitted the silver coated insulation to the inside of the glass, so I figure during the really hot sunny days, my AC units will be able to keep up.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Windshield sun screens

We use the Prompt RV screen (2 RV's and counting). Works great and easy to install with no ladders. It came with one suction cup that attaches on our passenger side directly to the RV body, roll across the windshield, then on the driver's side it came with a rubber bungy strap with suction cup on the end that you tug and then stick to side driver's window. The tension of that strap is absolutely necessary to tighten the screen. I modified mine to include two suction cups on the passenger side, and two straps on driver's side and that tightens it up better.

My friend bought the Magna shade and is equally as happy with his.

Cons of Prompt screen -- straps visible from inside the rv: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434813162.746604.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	97841

Also need to roll it up for storage because it has metal "ribs" on either end.. Not a disadvantage per se, just a fact.

Pro for Prompt Rv over Magnashade--cheaper, and NOTHING to permanently attach to the RV (Magnashade requires gluing magnets to the window).

If I were to start over again, I would buy the Prompt RV again.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlairbus View Post
I am not against having to use a ladder.
I have also fitted the silver coated insulation to the inside of the glass, so I figure during the really hot sunny days, my AC units will be able to keep up.
I also thought I wasn't against using a ladder...I was wrong. LOL

I suppose it really depends on a few factors but if you plan to use them often and travel often that ladder will be a real PITA IMHO. They get even more difficult if you have deployed the jacks and there is any downslope from the nose of the coach. Falling off of a ladder will convince you that any system that keeps you off of it was worth the cost.

Any kind of shade that is inside the coach helps but there is no comparison. I've had those shades that mount inside and they can be a minor pain to get on but certainly are reasonably easy to install.

One other point about external shades that use snaps or other attachments points and/or straps...they can leave a dirty ring. LOL I would think that could affect the coach's finish over time. My current set of snap on shades leave a dirty ring on the body around the windows where the material stretches over the paint to get to the snaps. This can happen after a few days with rain that attracts dust that then seeps to the coach's surface. I think that the Magna Shades I ordered will avoid that or at least keep it to a much smaller area and perhaps only confided to the rubber gasket.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
We use the Prompt RV screen (2 RV's and counting). Works great and easy to install with no ladders. It came with one suction cup that attaches on our passenger side directly to the RV body, roll across the windshield, then on the driver's side it came with a rubber bungy strap with suction cup on the end that you tug and then stick to side driver's window. The tension of that strap is absolutely necessary to tighten the screen. I modified mine to include two suction cups on the passenger side, and two straps on driver's side and that tightens it up better.

My friend bought the Magna shade and is equally as happy with his.

Cons of Prompt screen -- straps visible from inside the rv: Attachment 97841

Also need to roll it up for storage because it has metal "ribs" on either end.. Not a disadvantage per se, just a fact.

Pro for Prompt Rv over Magnashade--cheaper, and NOTHING to permanently attach to the RV (Magnashade requires gluing magnets to the window).

If I were to start over again, I would buy the Prompt RV again.
Thanks! ... good info.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I'd like to address this one point about permanent attachment of magnets. The magnets are affixed to the glass by a two sided 3M adhesive tape disc and is removable with a putty knife. It's not a permanent attachment, per se.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

Will the magnets with the 3M hold up in the high heat ??
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

Every moulding on the outside of every car is held on with 3M tape, pretty sure the magnets will be fine.

On the ladder issue: I have it out after every trip, just for cleaning the windshield. Might as well snap the shade on then.

I don't have a long term report on our Rv Sunshades, still on our first week of ownership.

They sure look clean.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

Location: Where ever we park but currently in Nine Mile Falls, WA
I've had the Magna shade for 4 years now and love it. The only draw back is the price but decided to buy it anyway and am glad I did. It takes on average 2 minutes to attach. The magnets (rare earth) are really strong. In fact when I start the install I attach the top right corner above the driver first. This one magnet will hold the entire weight of the shade while I move to attach the top left corner above the passenger. Once you get these 2 corners up all the other magnets pull the shade in on their own.

I had to replace my left windshield awhile back and removed the magnets with a putty knife. when they ship the magna shade to you it includes an extra set of 3m tape, already cut to size just for this purpose.

Be careful handing the magnets they are strong and they will bite if you get your fingers in between 2 of them.

I highly recommend the shade.
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvm1970 View Post
Will the magnets with the 3M hold up in the high heat ??
Keep in mind that the magnets pull towards each other squeezing the 3M bond. As long as you start with a clean windshield during the install it will not come off.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
If you have an implanted medical device, as I do, stay away from the Magna Shade. Their web site does include a warning.
My Dr. agreed it was best to avoid their product when I discussed it with him.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Keep in mind that the magnets pull towards each other squeezing the 3M bond. As long as you start with a clean windshield during the install it will not come off.
Just a note if you get Magne Shades for door, driver & passenger side windows the magnets attach on the exterior of windows. Only the front windshield magnets are inside. The side magnets are painted black so they blend well with tinted glass.

I've never been exposed to such strong magnets and as previously stated they will pinch the finger..... Easy install for DW & I, and they have a Youtube to watch an install before self installing.

Great benefit of exterior shades is the true reduction of heat entering coach. The OEM interior shades only block sun light but do nothing to block heat into coach. On mine there is a significant difference in temperture in the areas of glass covered with Magne Shades.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #12

OK, Thanks everyone for the info. I am still searching, and keeping my options open. Much appreciate the different points of view, and advice.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
YC1

Have owned our Prompt for several years. It is holding up well. I can install it by myself. I modified the passenger side by removing the suction cup and installing a small bracket with a hole and then use a short turnbuckle mounted to the cover where the original suction cup was attached. I do not use the turnbuckle to tighten, it is just a neat device with a round end on one end that is easy to bolt to the shade. The other end is just a hook.

I accidently figured out the company is very close to my home. Stopping by to pick up a small piece allowed me to see their small operation and to meet them. Great folks. I would buy one again.

The cover on the outside makes an amazing difference in the interior heat.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
The cover on the outside makes an amazing difference in the interior heat.
Shields up!... All stay on for travel except wheel covers and windshield wrap..

These are 11 years old and I just had all the trim replaced for about $200 bucks. (thread was worn out) But other than that!...They still do there job! Got them here! RV Accessory Store - RV TOY STORE - RV Windshield Covers, Tow Bars and more. For all your RV accessory needs, shop us and save!

And had a pro install them while at a park in Palm Desert!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr