Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Windshield Trim Question

OK... I know nothing about windshields how they're mounted and such. I'm in the process of buying a 2015 Dutchstar. It had its windshield replaced last fall. The trim looks thin that does not hold form to the windshield. When we test drove it it made a terrible racket.

This is a picture of what Newmar calls WIND LACE TRIM 2" 70 DUR, Item Number:120552. Am I correct in assuming that this is the windshield trim to use?

Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BTW... The picture on the left is what the coach I'm looking at has for trim and the other is of my friend's 2015 Dutchstar after its windshield was replaced a few months ago.

The picture on the right has a more substantial looking trim and the corners look nicely sealed. The one on the left is thin. What you don't see is that it doesn't lay flat in some areas and the corners are not sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CURRENT WINDOW TRIM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	205315   Click image for larger version

Name:	WINDOW TRIM.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	205316  

Old 06-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don, your talking about the outside trim not inside, correct?

Go into COM_NET --- Catalog of parts and your year coach and see if its there, or if you have VIN# or coach build number, paper kitchen cabinet, use the Catalog Specific top right of page and maybe find the parts for your coach.
You have a one piece windshield for 15.

The page I found shows trim but no link to it for parts, if I remember I will direct you to page.--- com-net -- tech information --- exterior --- windows ---- window 1 piece you will pass trim with no access, need to call Newmar.
Try your vin or build number for your coach may get it there not sure.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

Don,
The trim on the left looks exactly like the trim on my coach, which is original. On mine the miter is sealed and the entire inside and outside edge has been caulked. Looks like a cheap repair, but to be honest it is just cosmetic. As long as the windshield has been bonded to the frame you should not have any problems.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Don,As long as the windshield has been bonded to the frame you should not have any problems.
Unless the "terrible racket" mentioned by the OP is "a problem."

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #6

I guess I was responding to item #2, I missed the "racket" in #1. I can't think of any reason why that should happen so I would walk away.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I guess I was responding to item #2, I missed the "racket" in #1. I can't think of any reason why that should happen so I would walk away.
I don't think there's any evidence that the windshields Seal is a problem. There is no evidence of water infiltration around the windshield. The racket I referred to is certainly the loose fitting trim flapping and slapping on the glass itself.

I think that if you look at the pictures of my trim versus the trim that my friend has it looks like history him is closer into design to the Newmar windlace then mine is. Also the Newmar product has the two strips of adhesive that I think would make it lay tighter on the surfaces. There is no adhesive under my trim to keep it laying flat.

I am just thinking that the windshield seal is cheap and wasn't installed properly. I think that it would be a good idea to remove the current trim to inspect the sealing of the windshield and then replace the trim with the Newmar product.

Tags
windshield