Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winegard motorized Sensar antenna

I have a winegard motorized sensar antenna ( either a MA1055W or MA1055G) that had quit working - it will not raise up. I would assume the worm gear is bad but have not been able to take the unit apart yet on the roof. In my research it appears winegard no longer makes the motorized antenna. Has anyone else had this problem ( antenna won't elevate) and what was the solution. Also does anyone know where to find a parts list for this model antenna - I have searched and search with no luck. It appears the model MA1000 is essentially the same. Thank you
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #2

I'm in the same boat however my problems started when I rotated the anntena mass, it hit my satellite and completely broke the bracket that controls the arm...no part to replace the bracket currently.
Totexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
That appears to be the same unit we had on our Essex. Our motor failed, from the research I did it was a known "defect" in the system (motor was under sized). When I checked with Winegard, there is no replacement!! So, I replaced with the Winegard Rayzar Automatic. The good news, it's a straight forward replacement!
Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Yes - after doing all the research I could - it seems Winegard produced a defective product and quit making it. From what I can find this unit was installed in many 2014 and 2015 Newmar coaches. In speaking with Winegard techs, they stated that the unit had so many problems they quit making it and now there are no repair parts to be found anywhere. To those who have one on their coach - all I can say is from my conversations is that it is not if the unit will fail, it's just a matter of when the unit will fail.
I replaced mine with a King OmniPro omni directional antenna. It seems from conversation with Newmar techs and Winegard techs - the standard replacement now for the defective unit is the Winegard Rayzar Automatic - only problem is my investigation into reviews of this unit is that it fails often and the reception is something les than desired. Hope this turns out not to be true for those with the Rayzar.
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

What ever happened to Radio Shack....we do not fix things anymore. We simply pay more money for new problems. My motor still works but I'm fabricating a base for my 3k trip home...
Old 06-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #6

Wineguard should be held liable for selling crappy products to hardworking people.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx52 View Post
Yes - the standard replacement now for the defective unit is the Winegard Rayzar Automatic - only problem is my investigation into reviews of this unit is that it fails often and the reception is something les than desired. Hope this turns out not to be true for those with the Rayzar.
I'm on my 3rd Rayzar, all replaced under Winegard warranty. The 3rd one is holding up, purportedly, per Winegard Techs, they made reliability improvements. I've found the reception more than adequate! Another point, if a Rayzer fails, it is literally a two minute job to install a replacement (the feet remain anchored to the roof)! Unfortunately, for Winegard, they've lost my confidence in their products!! I would love to try their new 4G/WiFi units but, based on my Rayzer experience, I wouldn't touch them!
Old 06-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
That appears to be the same unit we had on our Essex. Our motor failed, from the research I did it was a known "defect" in the system (motor was under sized). When I checked with Winegard, there is no replacement!! So, I replaced with the Winegard Rayzar Automatic. The good news, it's a straight forward replacement!
I did the same
Old 06-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Shortly after I bought our DSDP last year, we took it to the NKK Rally in Sikes Tom, MO. We were parked there next to an identical 2017 DSDP 4018. I found I was only getting four channels in my Winegard Rayzer. I talked to my neighbor and discovered he was getting thirty some stations.

So I went to talk to the Newmar techs and they sent me to the Winegard table. There I was told that they had a batch of “bad motors” in the Rayzer product and they were “seizing up” while scanning for stations.

A tech came out to my coach the next day and put on a new one in about ten minutes. The new unit has been fine, so far.

Wish I had similar experience with their Traveler product, but the current one, my third, is rather buggy.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
I'm on my 3rd Rayzar, all replaced under Winegard warranty. The 3rd one is holding up, purportedly, per Winegard Techs, they made reliability improvements. I've found the reception more than adequate! Another point, if a Rayzer fails, it is literally a two minute job to install a replacement (the feet remain anchored to the roof)! Unfortunately, for Winegard, they've lost my confidence in their products!! I would love to try their new 4G/WiFi units but, based on my Rayzer experience, I wouldn't touch them!
I just installed a brand new Rayzar - E3 error as soon as it was powered up and searched for the first time. I will be checking battery voltage at the antenna to see if there is a loss somewhere...

Tags
antenna