Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #1

Winegard Rayzor E3

Turned on Wineguard Rayzor to use for about third time, displays E3 code and does not find any stations. Also when attempting to use either of the rotation buttons it displays an H5 code. Is there any rebooting /checking process for this at this point, or is it toast, replacement required?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pressing "Search" and "Counter Clockwise Rotate" at the same time will perform a reset.

I started having the same problems and had to have it replaced under warranty.

Paul
2017 Dutch Star 4018
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
On my Dutch Star, it took 3 of them before getting one that worked for over a month. When i picked up my Mountain Aire last week, the unit was dead with the E3 code and it had to be replaced right away.

I've never had any luck clearing an E3 with a reset.
ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

I had the same problem. Dead motor will need to be replaced
Old 08-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #5

My first Rayzar worked for 13 months and died last month. I called Winegard and had a replacement in a 5 days. This is a common problem. I wonder if it is related to traveling with power on the unit and vibration? Has anyone opened the unit to see if something is blocking the antenna from moving? If and when mine fails out of warranty I will take it apart and investigate.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While at the Hoots camp in Tampa last Jan. (Before we had our coach) we talked to more than 1 Hoot who had this issue. If I remember correctly the portion of the system that rotates jumps over the internal stop and can't revolve the other direction.

Eventually the motor quits and a call to to Winegard has them sending out a new one. At that time the owners were told a new and more robust unit was forthcoming. We've had our unit since way back in June [emoji57]with no issues. Darn I shouldn't have said that!

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes I did! We are fulltime. We don't have a satellite dish and we were about three months from our appointment in Nappanee.

Figured it was broke and worst case if I messed with it I was out $300. So I opened it up and found an antenna with a motor on it with a small gear that sits on a large gear. The motor and antenna turns around the large gear. The antenna/power wire wraps around the shaft. That is why it can't go more than 360 degrees. The motor does not go bad, the gears get out of mesh, the wires wrapped around the shaft get bound up, or it is not in the proper position.

At first when I went up top I would put the antenna assembly back in place and it would work again. After a while it would just bind up every time we moved our coach, so each time we moved I lifted the antenna assembly and moved it to different positions until the wife said the TV was working.

I searched the internet for pictures of what it looks like inside and this is the best one I could find.

Paul
2018 Dutch Star 4018

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
My first Rayzar worked for 13 months and died last month. I called Winegard and had a replacement in a 5 days. This is a common problem. I wonder if it is related to traveling with power on the unit and vibration? Has anyone opened the unit to see if something is blocking the antenna from moving? If and when mine fails out of warranty I will take it apart and investigate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	172454  
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also just had ours replaced under warranty. Luckily it happen right before arriving at Nappanee for a previously scheduled appt so they went ahead & swapped it out. I had put one of these in my previous coach & also had to replace one under warranty. It's a great product when working but they definitely seem to have a weakness at some point. Hopefully as noted above Winegard can make an improvement.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Yes I did! We are fulltime. We don't have a satellite dish and we were about three months from our appointment in Nappanee.

Figured it was broke and worst case if I messed with it I was out $300. So I opened it up and found an antenna with a motor on it with a small gear that sits on a large gear. The motor and antenna turns around the large gear. The antenna/power wire wraps around the shaft. That is why it can't go more than 360 degrees. The motor does not go bad, the gears get out of mesh, the wires wrapped around the shaft get bound up, or it is not in the proper position.

At first when I went up top I would put the antenna assembly back in place and it would work again. After a while it would just bind up every time we moved our coach, so each time we moved I lifted the antenna assembly and moved it to different positions until the wife said the TV was working.

I searched the internet for pictures of what it looks like inside and this is the best one I could find.

Paul
2018 Dutch Star 4018
Thanks for the information. If and when mine fails out of warranty I will attempt to repair it myself. I did similar work for 50+ years. Mine is mounted on the old crank up mount so I can rotate it manually as a get by if it fails again.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #10

We're on the second one now and it's doing the same E3 code again. I would think these would work fine if attached to a house or something that doesn't move. Put it on a coach, and it is bound to fail sooner or later. I will not buy one of these units again. Had much better luck with the King Jack.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now you make me wonder!

In the process of ordering a Ventana with this option! You all make me wonder if I actually should cross this off when I get the green sheet!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
In the process of ordering a Ventana with this option! You all make me wonder if I actually should cross this off when I get the green sheet!
The only reason I replaced the Jack head I had is a place we camp on the coast 4 times a year is between the local stations. 2 of the stations are to the north and 3 are southeast. I was tired of turning the Jack when I changed channels. As far a reception the Rayzar is no better pr worse than the Jack, imo.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
The only reason I replaced the Jack head I had is a place we camp on the coast 4 times a year is between the local stations. 2 of the stations are to the north and 3 are southeast. I was tired of turning the Jack when I changed channels. As far a reception the Rayzar is no better pr worse than the Jack, imo.
I remember when we had to get up to change channels...
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
I remember when we had to get up to change channels...
My dad was a TV repairman after retiring from the Air Force. We had to use pliers to change the channel, but we always had one that worked.