Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 PM   #225

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If my father had given me a business and I had the choice to work my butt off for the next 30 years and then retire or sell it today for $270M cash plus 6% of WGO stock, I'd be on my way to the islands as soon as I could get the paperwork signed.

I’m on the same page as you. Don’t overthink it. The Millers are cashin’ in on what Dad built, plain and simple, just as the Bontrager boys did a couple of years ago. It’ll benefit some and disadvantage others, but if history’s any judge it’s more likely Newmar’s will become more like Winnie’s than vice versa.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 PM   #226

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnie must have made an offer the Millers couldn't refuse!! It is sad to see the end of an era....maybe an opportunity for someone else to build a custom coach that is not part of the big 4.
I worry about all the people that are working at Newmar and what is going to happen with them.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:36 AM   #227

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Will NEWGLE become WIGLE?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
My "off-line" date was today!
Well here's my take - after reading 200 plus posts. I am picking up my 2020 Ventana 4369 from my dealer. Glad I bought when I did and ordered when I did- but I doubt it will be that much different for a while. Two things stick out to me and a lot of based on previous conversations with my dealer over the last few years.

First, Newmar emphasized the family involvement and how it would remain a family business- this was on the plant tour I attended about 5 weeks ago - wow what a difference a month makes on family involvement!

Second, I have had this conversation with my dealer and saw it at the plant. The one thing that made Newmar standout - either a good things or a bad thing - depending on what you purchased I guess - is that all the coaches, the million dollar King Aire's to the 100 Thousand dollar Bay Star Sports were basically built by the same people on the same assembly line. My dealer was always talking about Newmar having capacity problems and that the gas coaches weren't very profitable for Newmar or the dealers- but they kept the plants running and got people introduced to Newmar. I think that made sense - the bread and butter was the Dutch Star line and now the Ventana Line. But the Dutch was the "money coach" - thats why many people believe that the Ventana was the best bang for your buck!

Anyway - the merger will potentially move much if not all of the gas line to Winnebago- possibly even dropping gas coaches all together from the Newmar Lineup. Newmar will focus on continuing to build better and more DP's with a greater emphasis in reality on the Dutch, Ventana and possibly the Kountry Star lines. Price points indicate the Dutch will continue to be the bread for Newmar and Ventana will probably become the Butter!

This logicallly makes sense in so many ways - have your best builders building your best and most popular coaches. Then Winnebago can learn from Newmar and improve their gas line while potentially building the Newmar Gas coaches at some of their plants. This would improve the production capabilities of both companies and should end up with a better line of products in both gas and diesel.

This is only my opinion - but as someone who has worked as independent and then as a ceo of a larger company - this is what I would be considering doing. So, the bottom line is the panic over Newmar - seems to be coming from the DP owner - when in reality this may be the best thing ever for them. The gas people - will probably see their coaches being built by Winnie - but to higher standards that Newmar has created. IMO, this will be the synergy that Winnie and Newmar are hoping for!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:41 AM   #229
dp7

Has anyone revived Newmar Man??
Old 09-17-2019, 01:48 AM   #230
UAV

Explains why Winnebago dropped most of it's DP lineup.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:10 AM   #231

Entegra Owners Club
For heaven’s sake, get a grip people. This is not the end of the world. The panic here is just like what occurred when Thor bought Jayco/Entegra. It was needless worry. Today, half my Entegra friends have upgraded to new Thor-produced Entegras and they are happier than ever. The sky is not falling. Winnebago did not buy Newmar just so they could ruin it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:33 AM   #232

Entegra Owners Club
Wow, such unnecessary doom and gloom.

US tax laws make this inevitable. Transferring ownership of a large company between generations is almost impossible, and if you try it places the company in a position of high risk of financial failure for at least a decade. I've been through this. I bought out my company from my father and spent 10+ year recovering financially, and then later sold the company to new owners.

If instead of selling, they had transferred ownership to Matt, Newmar would have become a highly leveraged company which would likely fail during the next economic downturn. Everyone should be pleased they sold to a company in the industry with good financial resources.

Thoughts that Winnebago would trash this large investment are illogical. Many people in both organizations will be looking for way to build on the strengths of each business to improve the success of both.

Will there be changes? Of course. And there should be. Neither company is perfect. For my perspective, as an owner of 5 different brands over the past 11 years, there is plenty of room for improvement at Newmar. I look forward to seeing some of that accomplished.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 AM   #233

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Has anyone revived Newmar Man??
His finger's are in shock, can't type..........

My guess is that the buyout was due to Newmar's success..........and it happens everyday, big company's buy smaller to add to their portfolio .......and changing and degrading Newmar is not what big smart company will do........... That is why Matt will remain at the Helm for some time, and maybe longer........That is the first sign that they don't want to change things.......same at Entegra...........and they are just fine.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:09 AM   #234

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kieffer View Post
Wow, such unnecessary doom and gloom.

US tax laws make this inevitable. Transferring ownership of a large company between generations is almost impossible, and if you try it places the company in a position of high risk of financial failure for at least a decade. I've been through this. I bought out my company from my father and spent 10+ year recovering financially, and then later sold the company to new owners.
Good point - would this have fallen under something like the dreaded "death tax" that often destroys small businesses and farmers where there is not enough cash to pay the taxes and thus forcing the business to close or sell?
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I for one do't need Winnie technology. I want a simple solid coach with old fashioned switches. I hate all the new fanged computer controls.
Yes
Beaver
C.C.
Monaco
With a
ISM or
Detroit

Pre 203, 4, 5, 6 maybe

We love our 99 Signature with a 500 hp ISM
Cummins

I can fix about anything myself. Or at least understand the electronic s.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:25 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Anyone else going to pull an all-nighter keeping up with this thread? I can’t imagine the reading I would have to do in the morning.
Winnebago has tried and failed at offering a
Premier coach like the King Air.

Now they will offer the

Miller King Air
And
The
Winniequene [emoji6]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #237

Ford Super Duty Owner
Turn to crappo like Fleetwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Not kidding.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...er-Newmar.html

It’s going to take a while to digest this.
Hope they don't descend to putting crap RVs on the road like what happened to Fleetwood after REV acquired Monaco, Holiday Rambler, etc...Bigger means poor quality.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:12 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim494 View Post
Prior to today these were some of the Newmar issues being discussed here in this forum

Poorly installed/wrong model sanicon pump
Miss adjusted entry door I have to slam shut
Sub standard radio/NAV unit that requires me to need a standalone GPS
Low quality tank level sensors
Poor quality audio to the exterior TV sound bar requiring modification

Now Winnie is going to take a perfect coach and inject imperfections. I don't think so.

My DSDP is the same coach we had yesterday and purchased from a dealer we expect to provide quality service. Annual pilgrimages to the factory for service seem strange to me.

As a matter of fact it is at the dealer now for warranty repairs, many due to fit and finish issues.

We really like the coach and are happy we went Newmar. We picked Newmar over Entegra and Tiffin due to floor plan and feature differences, not ownership.

When we replace it we will do our due diligence at that time. Blind brand loyalty is a mistake regardless of ownership/legacy. This level of the market will be served by somebody because there is a demand for it.
On electronics, Winnie tends to have better dash electronics from what I've seen, and this is potentially where combined buying power could actually help Newmar. There is no way that $250-350k coaches should have that Xite unit in them.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, sale, winnebago