RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #421

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I doubt Newmar was aware this clown bashes Newmar every chance he can. He should have been lead to the door.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #422

Entegra Owners Club
Everyone should be glad that it wasn't another Thor acquisition. I don't think Winnebago bought Newmar to watch them fail. It will all be just fine.

Dave

Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #423

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FUD seems to prevails here (fear, uncertainty and doubt)

All you can do is sit back and watch it play out, however it may. But, that's no fun!!!
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
12 months ago, we were wondering what manufacturer we should pick as our first MH – Decision made, it’s going to be a Newmar.

8-6 Months ago, typical, Gas or DP decision – Decided DP, but DW decided Gas due to $$$, so it’s going to be a gasser.

4 months ago, the question was which Newmar - Decided on a Bay Star

A month ago, decided on a 3609

2-3 weeks ago, the question was: 2019 off the lot or order a 2020 exactly as we wanted it. Order a 2020 was decided.

Last weekend decided to set up a Factory Tour and spec out the “Specials” we want.

Last Monday early morning (9/16) Called Newmar, set up tour date and exchanged emails on what Specials they’d let us do on a Bay Star. Got most of what we wanted.

Last Monday late afternoon/early evening read the news, Newmar acquired by Winnebago, Oh Shoot…

All week, wondering what to do, jump ship, wait to see what happens to Newmar or just order now and get a Newmar built MH, prior to Winnebago taking over.

We’re still not 100% sure when to do it, but I will tell you, it’s going to be a Newmar/Winnebago Bay Star 3609. We spent too much time looking to find what we want to change plans now. Are we crazy? Some will think so, but other will not.

The current question is when to place the order, now, next week, next month, in 3 months or next year? Any & all suggestions are welcome on this, so please share your thoughts and reasoning why.

After reading this thread over the week along with other Winnebago, Newmar and independent write ups/posts on the acquisition, and looking at where Newmar will fit into the Winnebago family, I feel confident it’s a win/win/win:
  • Win for Winnebago: They are getting a Marquise name, a highly respected company with a high quality HM line & group of Craftsmen to continue the success. Oh, and they took a competitor out.
  • Win for Newmar: Winnebago has deep pockets, a good infrastructure and buying power. Not to mention the gap in the Winnebago offerings are nicely filled by Newmar.
  • Win for customers: Efficiencies both in purchasing and manufacturing should decrease costs. Also, Winnebago has better warranties and more repair facilities than Newmar. Now I just hope they will support the Newmar product line.
Now all of this is just my opinion as an outsider looking in, but after looking at the attached presentation I found, and thinking about the amount of $ spent to get Newmar, Winnebago understands what they got and sees a good ROI from the acquisition, why would the change it too much?

OK, there will be changes, probably over the $5mln in synergies they mentioned, but I don’t see Newmar looking much different in 5-10yrs. There may be a smaller DP line, they may sunset 1 maybe, 2 at the most. IMHO, the DP line is really why they bought Newmar. I’d bet at least one gasser, probably the Bay Star Sport, will be sunset, it’s too close in quality to other Winnebago models.

The Canyon Star is a question mark in my mind, maybe it’ll become their customizable/High End gas MH while they Bay Star becomes standardized, no options.

The new Super Star Super C? Could the release of this been tied to the acquisition? Coincidence???

So, this went a different direction than I thought it would when I started typing; if you’re still reading this, thanks for putting up with my rambling on. If you think I’m off may rocker, you’re possibly right, but remember, as I said above, this is just my opinion or $0.02, and it’s probably worth just about that…

You are fine, order your new rig. Makes no difference in timing.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #425

Newmar Owners Club
MidMichHunte,

I agree with Breezy2006, even after the Winnebago announcement, I would buy my 2020 DS4369 again in a heartbeat! The more I crawl around, over, and under my new rig, the more I am convinced that Newmar is the best structurally built motorhome.

I spent 3 years investigating Tiffin, Entegra, and Newmar. I had my 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP for 6 years (still for sale if anyone wants it!) and there is no way I would buy another Tiffin right now. Entegra is nice, but I personally don't like their exteriors or floorplans, and my local dealer is having a very hard time selling any right now. For me, out west, local resale would be a real issue.

Is my Newmar perfect, not even close, but much better than most. There are truly a lot of little details that I see, that in my opinion show much better thought and engineering than the other 2 brands.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:16 AM   #426

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I doubt Newmar was aware this clown bashes Newmar every chance he can. He should have been lead to the door.

My thoughts, exactly, Neal. My guess, though, is he left his Tiffin parked elsewhere.

Can you say, “Click-Bait”?
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:15 AM   #427

Let’s look at the bright side. You will now be able to become a partial owner of Newmar Corp by purchasing Winnebago shares of stock. I wish I would have purchased more of their shares back in Feb 2009. Their stock is now worth more than seven times what I paid for it. In other words, $50,000 of Winnebago stock in Feb 2009 is now worth the approximate current purchase cost of a new Dutch Star. Winnebago did not achieve this financial performance by making a lot of stupid decisions that were not good for their customers. I’m optimistic about the future of Newmar. I’m now more likely to purchase their stock or motorhomes even if their historic stock performance is unlikely to be replicated during the next ten years. Let’s be optimistic.
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #428

I don't know if this is indicative of what is to come but>>>>>>>
I have a friend that just bought a Newmar coach. The coach is less than a month old. He has had step issues, slide issues, and a cracked windshield. Has been to several repair facilities and still having slide issues and driving with a cracked windshield. The earliest he can get into Nappanee is Nov 1st. His sentiment is Newmar can have it back. Yes, I expect problems with new coach, but Newmar should step up and fix it now rather than later. Is this shades of what is to come.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #429

So waiting 7 or 8 weeks for a warranty appointment at the factory is now horrible customer service? Does he expect them to move everyone else's appointments up so they can squeeze him in? I assume his selling dealer can't fix anything?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #430

Is it true that starting October 1st, anytime your coach gets work completed at the factory that they will be required to install a vinyl sticker under the "Newmar" plate that says "Winnebago" in bright yellow letters?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The difference is country coach had failed before winnebago purchased the assets.
And CC was owned by National when it was shuttered originally, IIRC.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
So waiting 7 or 8 weeks for a warranty appointment at the factory is now horrible customer service? Does he expect them to move everyone else's appointments up so they can squeeze him in? I assume his selling dealer can't fix anything?
Well yeah, it is horrible customer service. And yeah, his selling dealer probably can't fix anything. You're blaming the victim.

Look here: the way the system works is the dealers are often inept and take a very long time even when they do fix things properly. The RV makers tolerate this situation and so customers take their purchases to the manufacturers to get things fixed.

Given this situation good customer service would consist of the manufacturers forcing the dealers to fix things in a timely and proper manner. Failing that then if people must go to the manufacturer than the manufacturer should have facilities to fix things in a timely manner.

And that would be good customer service. Better yet would be making products that don't need customer service; not needing customer service is the best customer service.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #433

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Is it true that starting October 1st, anytime your coach gets work completed at the factory that they will be required to install a vinyl sticker under the "Newmar" plate that says "Winnebago" in bright yellow letters?
Where do you all dream this stuff up?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
Well yeah, it is horrible customer service. And yeah, his selling dealer probably can't fix anything. You're blaming the victim.

Look here: the way the system works is the dealers are often inept and take a very long time even when they do fix things properly. The RV makers tolerate this situation and so customers take their purchases to the manufacturers to get things fixed.

Given this situation good customer service would consist of the manufacturers forcing the dealers to fix things in a timely and proper manner. Failing that then if people must go to the manufacturer than the manufacturer should have facilities to fix things in a timely manner.

And that would be good customer service. Better yet would be making products that don't need customer service; not needing customer service is the best customer service.
Given the fact that there ARE several dealers (out of the 55 or so Newmar dealers) that can and do provide excellent customer service, I think the customer shares at least part of the blame for being a "victim" of the system you describe. Put more bluntly, the customer apparently bought from the wrong dealer, most likely because he didn't do his homework here and elsewhere. I can't imagine buying a 1/4 million or more dollar coach from a dealer who can't reward me with good service.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, sale, winnebago