Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #43

Well, just for a second...is there any bright side to the story? For example, it always surprised me on how many Newmar customers drive cross country for Newmar to do their annual service appointment. And, from the posted prices, Newmar certainly charges for those services. So, it's not about drive for the cheapest price, it's been about "I can't get it done locally by a professional, so let me go to the experts".

I am wondering if Winnebago will be allowed to do service that extends the network of providers. Sure, there are the Newmar dealers, but at least on these forums, not much is said about using them for Service.
Doesn't affect me as I DIY everything and way out of warranty.

If I did buy New, it would drive me crazy to think I had to drive several states away to have them fix that rattle. Newmar has built up quite a reputation of hand holding for folks to make that trip. Wondering if Winnebago allows for that continuation, and possibly also allows for local service at their larger network.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
It remains to be seen. If they truly let Newmar run as a distinct entity, the changes may not be drastic. Yes, the quality has suffered over the past few years and Newmar tried to ramp up production to meet demand. That could have happened with any brand. If you think of it from Winnebago's side, Newmar is a premium coach builder, that Winnebago is acquiring, why would they pay a premium for them, just to add them to the slop. Newmar's production numbers do not begin to compare to Winnebago, so it wasn't all about market share. The bank I used to work for was well known for acquiring smaller banks. When they did, the new bank was brought under the corporate umbrella, but remained to function as they had prior to the acquisition. The only visible difference was the parent banks logo now appearing in the lower corner of the acquired banks signage and letterhead.

This could go either way. Instead of running around saying the sky is falling, I think I'll adopt a wait and see attitude. As was said in a previous post, if the worst happens, our coaches will be worth more in resale because they were built before the acquisition.
That does not hold true for most acquisitions, they buy technology or customer base and introduce they own technology processes and them @#^*& all up

Zzotte
Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
How will this affect the supply of self tapping screws?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #46
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Please let me wake up and find out that this news is just a bad dream!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
There was a lot of doom and gloom 2+ years ago when Thor Industries (not Thor Motor Coach) bought Jayco (Entegra's parent company). Many predicted the quality would take a nosedive and, as for the 2 year warranty, well Thor would never allow that to stand. None of that has happened.

Some less than knowledgeable people still like to take potshots at Entegra for being owned by Thor, but I suspect they're pretty much clueless about most things. So, ignore most of what will be said by outsiders and owners of SOB, especially if you find it on the forums.

I expect the powers that be at Winnebago are astute enough to recognize what a gem they have in the Newmar brand and will leave it alone so it can continue to thrive.
I was at a Jayco RV1 show about 3 months ago. Trust me it has happened! Very glaring visible screw ups at the show, Cabs falling off the walls at the show. Miss aligned wall tiles and counter tops. Very sad.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
And Newell is still independent if I;m not mistaken.
jt
Newell is still family owned, I believe the Prevost is owned by Volvo which is in turn owned by a Chinese outfit.

What is said when these mergers are announced and what actually happens months down the road are often very different, it will be a time of uncertainty for the Newmar employees.
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Winnebago acquires Newmar

This makes sense. now , why Winnebago never seemed to be replacing all the diesel pushers they cut after the Oregon failed move. I assumed they were abandoning the DP markets and concentrating on the big sellers .. the B’s and smaller rigs. Not so I guess.
My question is does Winnebago think more of their nameplate than newmar ? Newmar is solid but the public has more name recognition with the Winnebago Name I think. Rebadging is coming I fear
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
...Rebadging is coming I fear
If they do not maintain the Newmar "badge" (brand) which I believe they will then it will be sudden death, for sure. IMHO
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #51

Here’s an upside: Winnebago has their wiring diagrams posted online!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
How do you think Entegra has fared under Thor?
I own a pre-Thor Entegra, but I have many friends who have "Thor" Entegras. I have heard mostly good comments about the quality and in many cases they say the new Entegras are of better quality the the Pre-Thor ones. I can tell you from my own experience that factory support is still excellent, even for one such as me with an older coach.

If I were shopping for a new coach today it would be another Entegra.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #53

I doubt the Newmar name will be rebadged Winnebago. That would dilute the higher end quality image Newmar has earned. There is Toyota and then there is Lexus.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
I can also only guess that it is only a matter of time until this happens to Tiffin as well. Bob Tiffin has tried to retire already once....

It is wait and see how it turns out.
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
First off, the acquisition is by Winnebago Industries, the parent company. Based on what I heard the President of WBGO say at the GNR this summer, WBGO wants to position themselves at the top of the food chain in recreation industries they want to serve. Newmar would certainly fit that description.

I sincerely doubt that much is going to happen to Newmar - employees or coaches. I guess you could ask Grand Design or Chris Craft employees if much has changed under WBGO ownership.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
There was a lot of doom and gloom 2+ years ago when Thor Industries (not Thor Motor Coach) bought Jayco (Entegra's parent company). Many predicted the quality would take a nosedive and, as for the 2 year warranty, well Thor would never allow that to stand. None of that has happened.

Some less than knowledgeable people still like to take potshots at Entegra for being owned by Thor, but I suspect they're pretty much clueless about most things. So, ignore most of what will be said by outsiders and owners of SOB, especially if you find it on the forums.

I expect the powers that be at Winnebago are astute enough to recognize what a gem they have in the Newmar brand and will leave it alone so it can continue to thrive.
I agree, what Bill said above is correct.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, sale, winnebago