Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #99
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have no clue how it will truly affect the Newmar line, maybe we get wiring diagrams finally...who knows. The economy is doing good, but the RV market got flooded during the boom and may be looking at a downturn, even though the economy maintains it's stride. Maybe the Millers got tired of all the ups and downs and trying to guess the future. They took the money and ran.

My concern will be the possible loss of the ability to custom order a coach and make personal changes, especially paint selection. For many of us using a small dealer, they may be eliminated too. I could see Winnie setting parameters for the size of a dealership, like lot square footage, number of bays, technicians, etc. That could also force the Newmar line into the more sleazy large dealers, like Mike Thompson, who is already a Winnie dealer.

So....does the resale value of an original Newmar go up or down?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Angry

Imainage if you had one on the production line today?
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #101

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
One has to wonder what caused the sale of Newmar. Also wonder why the sale was at what seems to be a very reasonable price.

Probably never know the rest of the story.

$$$$$ and stock in Winnebago
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If my father had given me a business and I had the choice to work my butt off for the next 30 years and then retire or sell it today for $270M cash plus 6% of WGO stock, I'd be on my way to the islands as soon as I could get the paperwork signed.

Id head to the islands first, and then just docusign them from the islands after the lawyers do their crap...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
I hope Matt’s lawyers are as good as if not better than WBGO’s.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdth View Post
Talk about timing, my production start date is today!!! Will I get a Newbago?

No but you will probably get a half ass built coach as unfortunately the moral of the guys turning wrenches has plummeted.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #105

We bought a 2018 Winnebago Forza, 40 ft diesel pusher in December. We looked at Newmar and was not impressed. It felt junky, that's how I described it to my husband. We have been blessed with this Winnebago. Have has it 9 months and put 13000 miles on it with only our bay door latches replaced, by Winnebago. We have heard the horror stories from all the brands but we love our big Winnie.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdth View Post
Talk about timing, my production start date is today!!! Will I get a Newbago?
Your lucky because it will not have sunken in yet.
My build starts in 4 weeks!
By then the attitude will have permeated the entire company.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #107

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
How will this affect the supply of self tapping screws?
Hahahahaha

Made me laugh out loud while still processing. You're sick Neal
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #108

Winnebago is very proud of their name. It would be sad if we start seeing Winnebago King Aire.
univmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #109

After looking at the latest offerings from both of these manufacturers this past weekend at Hershey, this could bode well for both the Winnebago and Newmar (if its kept under its own "name) brands.

Winnebago has the FORZA and Horizon. Forza was underwhelming and Horizon was OVER ($$$)whelming.

Newmar, you had to remind yourself that your paying for what you cant see.

My personal favorite in the D/P lineup considering what you get for your $$ (please don't hate, just what I was able to discern from a few hours) was the Fleetwood Discovery/Discovery LXE built on the "Freedom Bridge" platform. Best mix of technology, materials, construction, etc..etc..

Id like to think that by making "NewBago" they could lead us to great options and the best value available.

IMHO
stvdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post
Imainage if you had one on the production line today?
I do and now I wish I'd bought a DSDP. Bought a VTDP thinking I'd upgrade when the DS gets refreshed. Not so sure I'll be doing that now...though I could be pleasantly surprised by the Wine takeover.

Not too worried about mine as its in paint already but I'm certainly going to be much, much, much, much more anal with my FPU. Good point made earlier about morale dropping and craftsmanship suffering in the short term with so much uncertainty in the air.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
With the Realm and IH37, foretravel is going after the NADP, LADP,KGDB market.
I think this is spot on. Foretravel does compete in the mere mortal's hire end DP lineup.

I see the KADP as being the closest tot he Realm, but if the Realm is a 10, I'd place the KADP as a 8.5. (Chassis, air bladder slides, etc. - are just a few of the specifics that slotted the Realm a tad higher up the food chain.)

Feel the IH37 is not a direct competition with the NADP, but the 2020 35' with ISL does push the NADP closer to the IH37.

=====

On the purchase. Yep, I agree with many that this is not good for consumers. Newmar would allow some customization, and while I personally believe their quality and attention to detail on assembly has slipped lower then it should have been allowed to - they still make one of the finer DP's on the market today.

Tiffen - Not a Newmar or Entegra.

Entegra - Well seems to be the closest comparison to Newmar in the current world.

Winnebago - Even some of their best models over the years, would have not been in the same league as the upper end Newmar's. (Great value, and for some years solid coaches. Sure not knocking them, they met a price and profit point for Winnie...).

American Coach - Should probably still be talked about as a comparison to Newmar and Entegra. Their customize chassis, and they are a better built coach then the family of Fleetwood products. I'd still not put their 'current' coaches in the same league as Newmar's or Entegra's upper tier models. But I would put them above Tiffen's.

----

Bottom line is less choices ahead for the consumer.

BUT A BIG THANKS! To the Newmar family, for decades they've built and backed their products... I wish them well.

And to the Newmar owner's. Well, I did end up buying a Country Coach (Gee, who own's their Intellectual Property now?) - and I can assure you that a well built coach, and over the years Newmar's quality of build has been overall better then many other manufactures, will still provide you good service and miles of enjoyment.

Most of my input and thinking is in the DP side of Newmar. I know their gas Mountain Aire on either Workhorse or F53 chassis - were one the finest gas Class A's built in the early 2000's. And they have a solid reputation for their Fiver line too...

Last thought. Is the mid to upper tier Newmar DP's, should retain their resell values at a higher rate ahead. It may take 2-4 years for Winnie to 'absorb/Borg' Newmar into 'their way of doing things', but that will happen. That will make those looking for higher quality used DP's availability of Newmar's supply drop ahead. Supply drops, and if a DP is well maintained by the owner, they lower supply can equate to higher resell. Certainly slower decline in value curve...

All subject to varying opinions! Go have some fun!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Put yourself in Miller's shoes. Need to do family estate planning at some point. Top of the current cycle for RV's. Would there be a more opportune time than this? Hey, they could have sold out to Thor.

This is my feeling exactly. Every family owned business faces this day of reckoning. Newmar had a good succession plan with Matt, but he’s not the whole family and sooner or later you have to think how you can monetize the asset.

I’m just glad it’s Winnie and not SOB.

Personally, I have a lot of friends with Winnebagos and they do a lot of things differently and some of those differences are arguably better.

There’s been a lot of talk here on the forum about how Newmar allegedly lags somewhat on the tech side and maybe Winnie can help with that. And from what I’ve seen of Winnie’s documentation, it beats Newmar hands down. Wouldn’t it be nice to have full wiring schematics? Winnie has those.

If they really do let the current team run the show and those folks stay around, this could work out.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, sale, winnebago