Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

Winter Storage

When storing our 2011 Baystar last winter I put the battery switch to "store" which seemed to kill everything. The radio was inoperable, the L.P. detector was not flashing. But when I went to start it in the spring everything was dead. Any hints on what could be drawing power yet. Should I disconnect the batteries and if so, do I do both coach and chassis batteries. What side is best to disconnect. Pos. or Neg.?
I still have a couple of weekends of camping but just planning ahead.
Thanks for any help.
yes2baystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its not possible to keep your coach plugged into a 110 outlet than I would remove the batteries and charge them once a month at home after checking the water levels.
If you can leave them in with 110 service your BIRD System will maintain all your batteries. You will have to check water levels also every month unless you have AGM's.
I have my coach plugged in all year never had a battery problem house or chassis, changed house to two 12V AGM's but chassis is 10 years old, original.
If you remove them make double sure you mark all cables and where they are place and the positions of batteries as to plus and minus positions, may even want to take pictures.
When you pull the chassis battery the ECM & TCM controls will have to learn your driving habits all over again and radio will need to be reprogrammed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Leaving them in the rig even if the cut off switch is thrown will still discharge them. As others have said, take them out and take them home, charge them once a month or do as I do and keep the rig plugged in all the time. I've been doing that for over 25 years now and the last set of batteries lasted 10 years. YMMV though!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Taking the batteries out sounds like work Maybe asking the owner of where I store it if I can keep it plugged in and stop out to check things would be my best bet. Thanks again for your thoughts.
This is all new to me. I had a pickup and slide in camper for years and never had a problem with the batteries in winter storage.
Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #5

question about batteries

So while we're all on the subject of batteries I'm a total newbie with a few questions. I purchased a '96 Kountry Star from a private party so I'm on my own with the learning curve. I already learned that if I don't keep it plugged in the house batteries die rather quickly I just discovered the store switch the other day and turned that on even though it's plugged in and wanted to make sure that was in fact okay to do. So still haven't had this puppy out yet for a drive because every time I've gone to take it out something wasn't working. So went out the other day, unplugged the power cord, reeled it in, checked all around, got in the driver's seat, turned the key and it was deader than a door nail. So I'm guessing when it's plugged in to shore power that only charges the house batteries and not the chassis batteries? Or is there something else going on there. I brought up my battery charger and hooked it up to one of the batteries and the meter wand was swinging left and right like crazy which concerned me because I know when I've hooked it up to my cars it's never done that. So I just disconnected it and figured maybe I could get some help on the forum. I know the house batteries were replaced earlier this year but the chassis ones weren't. Is it possible they're just old and need replacing. Unfortunately the little stamps on those batteries weren't crossed out so I don't know how old they are.
paula55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you do have a chance to have 110V outlet supplied make sure you do not operate the battery cut off switch and all your batteries will be kept fully charged.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum paula55.
All the same applies to your coach and yes you do need the switch on.
As for your chassis battery place the positive charge lead from charger on the positive post of battery. Place the negative on to the metal frame of chassis and see how that works.
You may also need to check all battery cable leads to chassi frame to see that they are clean and tight on frame. One for Gen, chassis, house battery's and one from your converter charger. If they are loose or dirty you will have poor charging.
Here is a Brochure which has tank & weight info and a 2000 Owners Guide which will cover working items in your coach. Its the lowest we have for a KSDP.
Enjoy the forums.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

Thanks again for suggestions folks. Just wish it could be as easy as hitting the "store" button and parking it
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Have a reputable shop check the batteries. On my 2010 Bay Star, my batteries had to be replaced even though "new". Also, the LP detector is likely not switched, just fused, so it will create a slow current draw even is the battery disconnect switch is off.

Ken
Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #10

You're right kcolivier, While under the hood this weekend I did locate that 1 Amp fuse others talked about. Hopefully I have better luck next spring when taking it out of storage now. But for now I'm still camping every weekend trying to enjoy our fall weather before putting the camper to bed for the winter. Thanks again to all.

Tags
storage