Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 12:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Winterize or keep heated?

Hi All,

We are enjoying our 09 DS so much that we will probably be using it extensively this winter. I was considering using heated storage but it is quite expensive and also about a 8 hour drive (going south) for me to pick up.

I was wondering if it would make sense for me to either winterize it and keep it in unheated storage nearby (I live in Eastern Canada) or simply keep it plugged in and heated, if that is even possible or the smart thing to do. It is hard to tell if my DS has enough insulation to keep things warm, in particular in the basement.

Just putting it out there to the experts! Appreciate the advise!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would say will be expensive but can be done your coach is well insulated and only your water bay may need some help if you use coach in winter months.
We have people that do use them this link will cover some of that and if you need to winterize that also.
Enjoy it which ever way you go.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #3

Here in Minnesota it gets cold. Thinking about time we go south for the winter.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #4

Part of that answer really depends on how cold. I would expect you to see zero F or below at times so winterizing may be a much better answer. It only takes an hour or so once you have done it a few times to locate everything. Same time to get back to normal. I would winterize and leave it close to home so I could easily pack and go when I wanted to head out. If it is a short trip or the first day or two heading south use bottled water then de winterize when you get to warmer weather.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We live in New England and do not winterize as we use the coach all winter for winter sports.

Here and here are posts with what we've done to protect the coach from freezing. The 2009 Dutch Star already has the basement insulation so you won't have to insulate them like I had to.

Last year we camped during the winter vacation week with record cold (-17 where we were). The supply pipe to the water pump froze but we were able to thaw it by turning the temperature up in the water compartment.

A new thing that happened is the fridge froze! Turns out that RV absorption refrigerators need to be kept above freezing, otherwise one of the pipes freezes. It stopped working until we got to warmer weather and it thawed out. Fortunately we had a nearby snowbank we could keep our frozen foods frozen in! Norcold actually has come out with a Cold Weather kit which is essentially a heat tape you put around this pipe. Others have blocked off 2/3 of the vents and/or put a trouble light or other heat source on the fridge compartment.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the recommendations All.

I think I was being paranoid but always better safe than sorry. I ended up placing a small space heater in the basement on the lowest setting which in turn seems to be keeping it more than toasty!

I also was able to find a heated space very close to home and will be keeping it there until first week of Feb (weather pending!) till off to Florida.

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
heat, winter