RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Winterize with dealer?

So, we just dropped off our coach at dealer we purchased from to have warranty repairs done. They asked if we would like it winterized while there. Being first timers and feeling comfortable it was at place we purchased I thought sure. Then she said only thing we require is that you also have it dewinterized by us as well. Stated this would be the only way they would guarantee the work. Stated they have had issues in past to when they winterized and another dealer or shop dewinterized, if there was a problem the one that dewinterized said it was caused by them. So to elevate it they will only guarantee if they do both. Problem is we are 4 hours away and wouldn't want to go all they way back just to dewinterized. But would be convenient for them to do while having coach. Guess I need to just get it done locally?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're not comfortable winterizing it yourself nor driving the distance to de-winterize then have it done locally.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Good question. The kicker is your 4 hours away. The de-winterizing part is far easier than the winterizing part.

Personally I would ask when you pick it up where the low point drains are, and how easy it is to reach the hot water tank to flip the by pass valves.

Two RV's ago I had one where the hot water tank and the by-pass valves had no access. I had them under warranty "make" an access panel so I can flip the valves and reach the water pump to add my RV anti-freeze the next winter.

At least for a RV trailer, it takes me 30 minutes to winterize, and maybe 20 minutes to de-winterize. For winterizing I blow out the line and add antifreeze. I Have my wife on the inside open and close faucet as I'm outside blowing air into the city water in-let.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

A couple of things to consider. How long will they have the coach for warranty repairs and will the time required take you into cold weather. If you will encounter cold weather while coach is at dealer, then you need to have them winterize it before it turns cold.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Smile Winterize

We had ours done by a dealer the first year,and experienced some broken water faucets come spring. If you can do it yourself and save lots of money.
kress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
A couple of things to consider. How long will they have the coach for warranty repairs and will the time required take you into cold weather. If you will encounter cold weather while coach is at dealer, then you need to have them winterize it before it turns cold.
Very good point. That was the only time I ever had a dealer winter-ize my RV trailer. And that was only because the water pump and hot water tank did not have any access. And it was mid Nov.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Four hours is a long way through DC, along with fuel costs, to flush fresh water through the lines come Spring. I would either find a local place or read up on doing it myself. Where I store our coach asks around $150 flat rate to winterize so I learned what needed done and do it myself. Our Bay Star with one bath, hot water heater, and kitchen sink takes about 30 minutes to drain low points, drain the hot water heater, and pump antifreeze throughout.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Ive read a couple threads over the years where people have paid someone to winterize and they miss something and were stuck with a PITA repair.

I have a list and will check it twice. I forgot the brand new sprayer on the toilet last year. Got off lucky. This winter its in climate controlled storage. Its NC so even if they do lose power it would take a long time for the building to get that cold. I have the pink stuff on hand just in case.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kress View Post
We had ours done by a dealer the first year,and experienced some broken water faucets come spring. If you can do it yourself and save lots of money.
Thanks! I would definitely prefer to do it myself but concerned that it's my first RV and haven't did it before. I mess something up wife will have me winterized. Lol. Based on your experience, is this something I should go ahead and do? No issue doing it, just don't want to damage anything.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob4 View Post
Thanks! I would definitely prefer to do it myself but concerned that it's my first RV and haven't did it before. I mess something up wife will have me winterized. Lol. Based on your experience, is this something I should go ahead and do? No issue doing it, just don't want to damage anything.
Im a female. I do the winterizing. My husband turns the pump on and off for me. As I mentioned make a list. If you have questions someone else has either had the problem or if you post it here someone will help you out.

The goal is to get pink stuff to flow out of all the places water comes out of as well as your city fill by pressing the back flow preventer. Lots of info on that.

Being a Newmar there may be some other things to winterize outside of the drinking water system. My winnebago had info on winterizing in the owners manual.

I had trouble last year because I have a bad valve at the back of my water heater that was supposed to prevent it from filling with pink stuff while winterizing. After asking here I found out not a big deal. It was a small amount and it rinsed out in the spring.

One thing I do recommend is something on the end of the tube you put into the pink stuff to keep it from sucking itself to the side of the bottle. I could have probably done it by myself if that wasn't a problem.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suggest you get the "book" out and read how to winterize. It is in the spiral book Newmar puts in your document satchel.

I get it - first motor home - don't want to screw anything up.......

But - - - it isn't that difficult. I can do it and I am all thumbs when it comes to things mechanical.

If you have a clothes washer, dish washer, or fridge with an ice make/water dispenser - not to worry. It does nothing more than add a step or two and some time. (Don't forget to take any filters out of the fridge)

It is a 2 person job.

If you do not have the washers or fancy fridge - it is an easy job. (Easy for me to say.....I know when you haven't done it!)

What a feeling of satisfaction when you have completed it yourself.

Dewinterization????? LOL Is nothing more than hooking up your hose to your rig and running the faucets.........run a quick cycle through any washing machines you may have, turning on the ice maker and dispense water through the water dispenser on your fridge....and wha-la, you are de-winterized!

You can get a lot of help here on iRV2 or feel free to PM me and I'll walk you though it and save you some money and an 8 hour round trip...

Good luck.....

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, winter