Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Winterizing question

Last year when I winterized our new to us coach I ran the pink antifreeze through everything including the water dispenser on the fridge ( removed water filter first). After flushing the system with fresh water when we arrived in Florida in January I was never able to get good tasting water out of the fridge water dispenser even after changing fridge and whole house filters and installing a water softener. The water had a chemical/plastic taste. All other faucets had good tasting water. I just stopped using the fridge water dispenser. So this year I was thinking about using compressed air and then use the pink stuff everywhere but the fridge. Would not running the pink stuff through the fridge water line and just using compressed air there cause a problem? Has anyone else experienced poor tasting water from the Whirlpool fridge water dispenser? Thanks.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We always drink the water from our tank. I use a portable softner, then a 5 micron whole house filter.
The drinking water tap at the kitchen sink and ice maker get water from another filter.
We seldom have bad tasting or smelling water, the under sink filter removes any chlorine also.
I only use air to blow out the lines and pour pink RV antifreeze into the P traps and also into the gray and black tanks.
It takes a little more time with the ice maker and W/D.
When I bought the MH, it had been winterized with pink RV antifreeze in all the lines. It seemed to take forever to get the bad taste out.
Now it's just a matter of a simple bleach disinfecting in the Spring, a couple of rinse outs, and it's ready to go.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
We always drink the water from our tank. I use a portable softner, then a 5 micron whole house filter.

The drinking water tap at the kitchen sink and ice maker get water from another filter.

We seldom have bad tasting or smelling water, the under sink filter removes any chlorine also.

I only use air to blow out the lines and pour pink RV antifreeze into the P traps and also into the gray and black tanks.

It takes a little more time with the ice maker and W/D.

When I bought the MH, it had been winterized with pink RV antifreeze in all the lines. It seemed to take forever to get the bad taste out.

Now it's just a matter of a simple bleach disinfecting in the Spring, a couple of rinse outs, and it's ready to go.

Happy Glamping.

Thanks for the reply. When just using air to blow out the lines does it also get the water out of the water pump?

Old 10-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

"ETHANOL (alcohol) BASED – most readily available at most hardware and discount stores and some RV shops. This type is the lowest cost. This product can taint rv plumbing systems resulting in bad taste and smell the following year and should be used only with quest or pex water lines. The alcohol will dry out rubber seals in faucets and toilets, so even though you may not need to replace any lines, there may still be leaks in the water system. It is also highly flammable and should not be used around pilot lights. It will have a warning on the label. Common water soluble alcohols such as methanol, ethanol and isoprpoanl are defined as Class 3 flammability hazards. We do not recommend use of this product in RVs.

PROPYLENE/ETHANOL BLEND – Non-toxic and available in some RV shops. This is an alcohol blend and again the alcohol can taint the water system resulting in a bad taste and smell. This antifreeze can still dry out plumbing seals resulting in leaks. It is also flammable and should not be used around pilot lights. It will have a warning on the label. Common water soluble alcohols such as methanol, ethanol and isoprpoanl are defined as Class 3 flammability hazards. We do not recommend use of this product in RVs.

PROPYLENE GLYCOL – This type of antifreeze is only available in RV shops. It is non-toxic and the safest for all types of RV plumbing. This antifreeze is non-flammable and does not taint water systems. Propylene glycol is a lubricant and will actually work to extend the life of the seals in your toilets and faucets. It is available in -50 and -100 freeze burst protection. "

quick Google Search result...
Old 10-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would your fridge have a water filter?
Water pump will have RV pink stuff in it if you used the plastic hose method for winterizing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4999810]Would your fridge have a water filter?
Water pump will have RV pink stuff in it if you used the plastic hose method for [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/active-air-install-at-hwh-moscow-iowa-465314.html#post4996661
winterizing.[/URL][/B]

Yes 007 the fridge has a water filter and after I flushed the system I put in a new filter for the fridge and coach. With regard to the water pump my question is if you don’t use Rv pink antifreeze and just use compressed air to blow out the lines will the water pump still have water and potentially freeze.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. When just using air to blow out the lines does it also get the water out of the water pump?
Just blowing out the system will not empty the water pump.
What I do is run the pump for maybe a minute after all the water is out of the system. This gets the water out of the pump.
Then just drain and blow a little bit again.
I have never had a problem doing it this way.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

And this is one of the reasons that ideally you blow out the system and then put antifreeze in (the right type - see post above). You can then ALSO, blow the antifreeze out and then store for the winter. The antifreeze pushes out the fresh water. Empty lines do not freeze. And condensation will never build up enough to cause freeze damage unless there was a very tall pipe and the water collected at the bottom (no pipes are that tall in an RV that has to fit under bridges).
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
And this is one of the reasons that ideally you blow out the system and then put antifreeze in.
Why put in antifreeze if the lines are blown clear?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Why put in antifreeze if the lines are blown clear?
that question has been discussed in MANY posts on the popular subject of winterizing.
Easy answer: to be really sure. And, sometime just blowing out doesn't get it all out (like in the pump filter).
Old 10-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #11

I also use the method of blowing out the lines, then run some pink antifreeze through them and then blow the antifreeze out of all faucets. I just leave the antifreeze in the washer and dishwasher. In the past with a previous RV, I only used air to blow out the plumbing lines and a small amount of water remained in toilet flush valve. This froze and cracked the valve which is made of plastic of course.
With the DS we use it during the winter months, so I pump antifreeze into the hot water outlet under the hood and the water line to the frig that runs outside under the FWS. (don’t use the water in the frig door and turn off the ice maker).
Old 10-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #12

Well thanks to Dav L I learned something new. After posting yesterday, I checked to see which type of antifreeze I was using. I used the Tractor Supply stuff (Traveller RV & Multi-Purpose). Checked the label and it's the PROPYLENE/ETHANOL BLEND and is marked Combustible.

Will not be using that anymore.

Tags
winter