Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Wiper fix

Quote:
PS - The wiper lift is clearly a Newmar engineering design issue (bad Newmar), wrong wiper choice. But it too has a reasonable fix I happened upon by accident when I was trying to fix the poor washer spray problem.
What was the fix?

Good to see you posting again.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

66 The wiper wind lift "fix" - I gotta get a pic of it... OK, just went out and got them...

Basically I was attacking the sub-wimpy washer sprayer "issue" and in so doing accidentally significantly reduced the wiper lift wind "issue" too.

I tied (using nylon ties) an 18" or so length of 1/4" ice maker style tubing (it's semi stiff) along the entire wiper arm, plugged the top end and routed the washer hose into the bottom end. I had drilled (1/32" I think) holes every couple inches through one wall of the tube for the washer fluid to spray out of and pointed that row of holes directly at the windshield. Hence, when you wash, the fluid squirts only about 1" directly to the 'shield right at the blade contact area. No wind loss of fluid and it sprays right where it's needed most. I also added a second washer pump/bottle (~$80 Newmar) and fed each wiper with it's own pump/bottle - but that was probably overkill. The second bottle simply bolted to the original (no new holes) and I spliced the electric making this a literal 5 min install.

Yes, the washer now works fabulously. The unanticipated side benefit was the wind lift issue. The end result is that tube - you'll understand once I get the pic up - alters the airflow over the entire wiper arm. I suspect additional downward wind force is applied due to the tube and perhaps an alteration of the entire flow off the wiper too. I was surprised to find that the driver's wiper no longer lifted at the peak of it's swing like it used to. In fact, up to about 65mph it remains completely on the windshield lifting only slightly when above that speed and for only a couple final swing inches. Even that is highly tolerable. So, the second moral of the story is to simply slow down, even more if you are in a headwind when using the wipers (headwind increases your relative speed).

Here's an interesting thing to do to understand the forces of the wind on the 'shield and wipers. During a light rain, open the driver's window and stick you hand out there with the wipers on. Feel the unbelievable effect the wiper has on that airflow as the wiper swings to the top of it's arc. You can even plainly hear it. It is positively amazing the wipers even stay on the windshield at all once you feel the magnitude of the wind force they are experiencing.

PS - My washer test fix has worked so well I still haven't bothered to replace the "ugly" white-ish colored tube with readily available semi-rigid 1/4" black tube. Using a black tube would basically hide the tube on the arm making this look like a factory install.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dude,
Excellent fix. I've printed the photos and will keep them for reference.
many thanks,
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After the latest repairs by Newmar the wiping is somewhat improved as the driver's wiper moves toward the mirror but there is a good wipe as the wiper moves back toward the park position.

This seems contradictory as it wipes better when going against the airflow.

The wiper also stops at an appropriate distance from the vertical edge of the windshield unless the headwinds are strong in which case the top half of the wiper is forced off of the windshield.

As headwinds increase because of the storm, I have decrease my speed to keep the wiper on the windshield.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
PS - The wiper lift is clearly a Newmar engineering design issue (bad Newmar), wrong wiper choice. But it too has a reasonable fix I happened upon by accident when I was trying to fix the poor washer spray problem.
I agree that the sleek, svelte wiper system Newmar bought is far too light of a design for job required of it.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
RV Dude - great fix & even better with pictures!
Now, what did you use to plug the end of each tube? And if you know, where is the black 1/4" plastic hose available?

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #7

For the plug at the top any appropriately sized screw will work. An Allen set screw is ideal. Just thread it in.

For the hose end I found a barbed union of the right size - try a NAPA for vacuum hose or windshield washer hose parts. Preferably brass. I think I got mine at the famous McGukin Hardware in Boulder, CO, but any non-big box but very well supplied hardware should have them. I also found tiny anti-back-flow valves to insert in washer lines to prevent them from draining back to the tank. You can see them in the pic on the washer line to the left of the tanks, the little whitish discs.

The plastic hose is basic Home Depot/Lowes plumbing department stuff (white) (I think) or even drip irrigation (black) hose. You are looking for not rubber or soft vinyl, but a semi-rigid plastic line. The one I had found is rather thick walled (a good thing), the black irrigation supply I will try as the more stylish option is thin walled (we'll see if it works). Take the picture in with you and look/ask around. I forgot exactly what/where I had bought it being that I just saw it browsing around one day and just grabbed it knowing it might be the right stuff - I do that a lot with my mental inventory of pending projects. If I get a chance on my next store visit I'll figure out exactly what it was.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another fix for Quick Tips, thanks RVDude
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #9

The white-ish pipe on the wipers in the pics (with the thick walls) is 1/4" x 5' PEX ($1.69 @ Home Depot) and they even had the brass barb (Watts A-95 3/16" barb splicer 543-632 $2.35). I've got some black drip line (thinner walls) that I'll try as it'll be more stylish - and we know how important style is over function these days!