RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

Wipers

Hope this has not been posted before. The drivers side wiper swings wildly outside it’s intended area going over the pillar on the drivers side by more then a little bit. Twice I had them adjusted, but it did not hold. I can’t see anything that would limit the swing. The passenger side is fine.
2010 Bay Star. Thanks

NorCal27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

This has been answered before. What happens is that the spline groove in the arm wears and tightening the shaft nut does not work. You need a new wiper arm, and when this is tightened down hard it forms the matching groove to the spline on the shaft.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
see this thread: windshield wiper arm
Old 02-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal27 View Post
Hope this has not been posted before. The drivers side wiper swings wildly outside it’s intended area going over the pillar on the drivers side by more then a little bit. Twice I had them adjusted, but it did not hold. I can’t see anything that would limit the swing. The passenger side is fine.
2010 Bay Star. Thanks
You say you "twice had them adjusted." Who did the adjustment; a Newmar service department or someone else?

Here's why I ask. On many models (I don't know specifically about your 2010 Bay Star), Newmar uses a wiper arm with a soft-metal bushing that conforms to the splines in the wiper mount shaft when it is installed. The splines on the shaft actually cut into the soft-metal wiper arm bushing and create the mating groves.

If the arm is removed from the splined shaft for "adjustment," it is almost impossible to get it reinstalled in a way that doesn't destroy the soft-metal bushing. As a result, you can never get it to stay in place properly. It is recommended that a new wiper arm be installed if the old one is removed for any reason. And, installation needs to be done carefully so that the wiper arm is in the proper position when it is installed. As noted above, it usually can't be removed to make an adjustment.

I would find a Newmar dealer with a service shop and trained technicians, and have a new wiper arm installed.

TJ

EDIT: Wow...those other guys were quick with their response...and, right on the mark. Sorry for the extra post.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. The first adjustment was at a RV repair shop and the second was automotive repair. There are no Newmar dealers near me. I will order replacement arms. Gong to a different RV guy at the end of the month, hopefully he can help me, although I might try myself.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 PM   #6

On mine and a lot of others the little cone that the wiper arm sets on has two flats that keep it positioned on the wiper motor shaft, the outside of it is splined to grab the wiper arm, Be sure to have the mechanic check the flats on the inside of the cone as they are prone to get loose if over tightened, the cone will come off with a little persuasion and can be replaced.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #7

Finally finished. After the RV guy passed on the wiper repair I contacted Newmar. They were a bit mystified and I wound up scheduling an appointment on 3/15 with an appointment of 3/28. They said they fixed it a week later. Asked service writer to go back out and check and run it for a few minutes, it was loose again. They then went a looked closer and found a crack in a part. It was not easy to see. After I explained the Newmar process to the Newmar Service Writer with the individual coach number he talked to Newmar. They agreed on the fix and sent the part. Two weeks later I picked up the coach and it is fixed. Their shop rate is 200 per hour. They originally going to charge 450. After some serious discussion and they agreeing of the missed diagnosis an hour labor and a reduction of a seriously marked up part we were done for 250. This is the only dealer in Northern California 100 miles south of Sacramento in a valley town. I have never paid a shop rate like this including my Benz dealer. At least it is fixed.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #8

Wow, $200/hr. That's by far the highest rate I've ever heard of -- and I'm in Southern California. Our RV shop rates range from $100/hr - $135/hr. Interestingly, the local Cummins Service Shop is around $125/hr I think -- and with my Cummins Power Club membership, I get a 10% discount. But alas, the Cummins Service shop is always backed up -- by at least a month.

And you'll NEVER catch me in or even near our authorized Newmar dealer down here -- NEVER. They're not only incompetent, but corrupt also -- with scary negative newspaper articles and TV exposés on them. And besides, they refuse to service Newmar RV's that they didn't sell to the current owner -- even though our previous owner bought it from them. Nuff said about that dealership. I sure wish Newmar would find a different RV dealer to authorize in So. Cal.

WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote