Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #169

"Newmar did it twice, and it was a full day work just to open and close. That translates to about 3 hours works for most of us"

Are you saying the Newmar's work time clock runs twice as fast? Or molecular motion is twice as slow where they are

So, sounds like you recommend the SeaView system, and to apply that to the wetbay side of the tanks (at least on your new model...I'll have to check the tank shape on mine) AND your Arduino / Raspberry Pi box is providing SeaView data via MQTT to a control system?

If so, then I'll plan to do that on mine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #170

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I did it - that means anyone can do it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #171

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am saying that newmar workers have a very relaxed work day. Plenty of breaks. Plenty of water cooler time. No stress, no pep, no hurry, and no worries.

Most of us can afford this lifestyle because we have (or had) more stress, worries, pep, etc.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #172

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe that RV-C is the best method for getting tank levels. For current highline coaches, the tanks are already RVc. For those without, adding Garnets seelevel with RV-C will provide a great interface for other systems.

My coach only had 1 device that supported RVc, the transfer switch.

I added the seelevel, and my device to relay RVc to MQTT and use that for the automation.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I believe that RV-C is the best method for getting tank levels. For current highline coaches, the tanks are already RVc. For those without, adding Garnets seelevel with RV-C will provide a great interface for other systems.

My coach only had 1 device that supported RVc, the transfer switch.

I added the seelevel, and my device to relay RVc to MQTT and use that for the automation.
Yup, that does sound like a good solution.
So, Seelevel talks RV-C natively. Your "box" converts the RV-C communications to MQTT to share that data to 3rd party controllers.

Does your "box" communicate more than the data bits that Seelevel provides? ie: All RV-C communication? Have you put any documentation together? Is your "box" available yet? Or are you going to post DIY build details?

So, in the simplest wiring:

SeaLevel <> RV-C data bus <> RedBaronBox (RBB)<> MQTT via wifi? or ethernet? <> 3rd party controller.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #174

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My software is designed to be a bridge between MQTT and RVc.
All communication can be relayed.

Status from RVc goes to MQTT. Actions from MQTT can be sent out on RVc bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Yup, that does sound like a good solution.
So, Seelevel talks RV-C natively. Your "box" converts the RV-C communications to MQTT to share that data to 3rd party controllers.

Does your "box" communicate more than the data bits that Seelevel provides? ie: All RV-C communication? Have you put any documentation together? Is your "box" available yet? Or are you going to post DIY build details?

So, in the simplest wiring:

SeaLevel <> RV-C data bus <> RedBaronBox (RBB)<> MQTT via wifi? or ethernet? <> 3rd party controller.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #175

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am saying that newmar workers have a very relaxed work day. Plenty of breaks. Plenty of water cooler time. No stress, no pep, no hurry, and no worries.

Most of us can afford this lifestyle because we have (or had) more stress, worries, pep, etc.
As I point out to the team that woks on mine. The sign on the side of the old drug store say's "Embrace the Pace". I can only do that for about two to three days then we gotta get moving. Last time I was there I removed most of my additions to the wet bay myself. That seemed to get them moving a bit faster just to get me out of the way.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #176

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well...earlier this month we scored nine nights at Jetty Park, Port Canaveral, FL. Problem is...I had to return home for five nights, because I was on-call. (Reserve Pilot)

Before leaving my wife behind...I gave her a quick brief on using the Key Fob to open and close the waste valves. She was able to monitor and dump tanks without my assistance, which made life easy. She had a few loads of laundry to do as well.

I don't know about you, but this sure was easier than dragging her outside to climb under the slideout, open the wet bay door, and manually operate the valves. Especially since a couple of rainy days were upon her at the time.

Greatest invention ever...
Old 12-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #177

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Well...earlier this month we scored nine nights at Jetty Park, Port Canaveral, FL. Problem is...I had to return home for five nights, because I was on-call. (Reserve Pilot)

Before leaving my wife behind...I gave her a quick brief on using the Key Fob to open and close the waste valves. She was able to monitor and dump tanks without my assistance, which made life easy. She had a few loads of laundry to do as well.

I don't know about you, but this sure was easier than dragging her outside to climb under the slideout, open the wet bay door, and manually operate the valves. Especially since a couple of rainy days were upon her at the time.

Reserve sucks!
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #178

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I finally got a key fob that works after four of them. But we only use it in the back bath just in case someone didn't check to see that someone else had done two loads of laundry plus the dishes and while in the shower you can start splash around underfoot.

Other wise we have it on three phones and one is always close at hand.

Can't wait for Ronnie to get his out of Beta and ready for prime time.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #179

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wireless Waste Tank Valves

I finally got around to installing the electric waste valves with a wireless activation capability. Pretty much the same setup as others have implemented, although there are few minor changes.

Instead of using the Barker provided rocker switches, I installed two toggle switches mounted in the wet bay panel. I found the Barker switches to be cheap and bulky.

I also flashed the Sonoff 4CH switch with the Tasmota firmware. This firmware doesn’t require internet connectivity and is much more capable than the stock firmware.

I also integrated the Sonoff switch with my Home Automation system so in addition to accessing the Tasmota webpage, I can control the valves from my automation portal on mobile devices.

Lastly, the Barker valves have white and yellow wires that are used to light up a LED when the switch is open. Instead of powering a LED, I wired this to the Sonoff switch GPIO pins so that my Home Automation system knows if the valves are open or closed.

I’ve attached a few pictures with the wet bay modifications circled. The only thing I have left to do is to put the wires leading to the Sonoff switch into some loom to pretty things up a little more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCC3BDDC-F739-4A0E-894A-342D98EBD93E.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	288837

Name:	D3AFBD3D-C101-40E0-9BFD-88E161A0028F.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	288838
Old 06-09-2020, 04:05 AM   #180

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nicely done.

Knowing nothing about Tasmoto...how involved is reprogramming the Sonoff devices firmware?

So, your smart device is now WiFi direct vs thru an access point using Internet?

Does the Sonoff loose it’s RF remote capability?

I really like how well laid out the display GUI is...

Thanks for posting...really clean install. I think you’ll love not climbing around on hands and knees anymore...
Old 06-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #181

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Knowing nothing about Tasmoto...how involved is reprogramming the Sonoff devices firmware?
Assuming an individual has flashed ESP devices in the past, it’s pretty straightforward. If not, the process isn’t difficult, there’s just has a learning curve associated with it.

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/devices/Sonoff-4CH-Pro/

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Getting-Started/

Quote:
So, your smart device is now WiFi direct vs thru an access point using Internet?
I have several smart devices in the RV and they are all connected to my local MQTT server via WiFi. No internet is required, but with internet I can access my Home Automation server remotely to manage the RV. I even have the server send me SMS messages to let me know of certain events such as doors being unlocked, engine being started or waste tanks reaching a certain capacity!

Quote:
Does the Sonoff loose it’s RF remote capability?
Apparently not. See the first link is this response. I do not have 433 MHz remotes.

Quote:
I really like how well laid out the display GUI is...
Here is the GUI from my home automation software. This is the “water” page. I can empty the tanks from here. Pressing the button is a two step process to avoid accidental presses.

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	288877
Old 06-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #182

If you have made / bought the right USB to RS232 dongle and wiring harness, then flashing an ESP device to Tasmota is about 5 minutes of work. The first device takes a few minutes more to get it all setup but for efficiency, line up all the Sonoff devices and do them all at once.

There are some small differences in where you electrically connect for serial on the different Sonoff devices. But all the 12 volt relays are similar.

Flyboy013 - what automation software are you using? myServer6 supports Tasmota / Sonoff. I too am using Tasmota / Sonoff on some of my RV projects.

I am using IP controlled relays (16) for my waste valves and HVAC integration since they are all in the same general area. I mounted my relays in the electrical bay and fed the wires to the waste valves to keep the electronics dry. Hydrohot is to the bay to the left, and the Water bay to the right. Plus I prefer to use hard wired ethernet if the wire is available. And needed more relays than the Sonoff 4 relay Pro unit.

Tags
tank, valve