Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read Charlie's posts and have taken inspiration.I too wanted a wireless system, but I am going a different direction sort of.

The valves will be controlled using relays the way that Charlie has done. I am going to add another control valve for the Sanicon, as vinny has suggested.

This will all be connected to an ardunio/raspberry pi controller along with a sensor for each gate that will repeat the "red light" status to the raspberry pi for open alerts.

The entire system will have to be engaged with a master switch controlled in the wetbay, same as Charlie. NO poo water on the streets as I drive along.

The RaspberryPi/Ardunio will then present a simple web interface and a static interface on a dedicated screen located in the wetbay.

This is going to merge my passions of coding, building, wiring, and 3d printing.

Once I have the system designed and installed, I will release publicly (GPL'd) all source code and a step by step that anyone with a credit card can follow (well maybe not anyone..but most anyone...well...some people...ok, nealC maybe)

I really appreciate the work that Charlie did with this whole design and so does my amazon rep...he was worried I was running out of things to buy.

(What, you all don't have dedicated Amazon reps that call you every day?)
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have read Charlie's posts and have taken inspiration.I too wanted a wireless system, but I am going a different direction sort of.

The valves will be controlled using relays the way that Charlie has done. I am going to add another control valve for the Sanicon, as vinny has suggested.

This will all be connected to an ardunio/raspberry pi controller along with a sensor for each gate that will repeat the "red light" status to the raspberry pi for open alerts.

The entire system will have to be engaged with a master switch controlled in the wetbay, same as Charlie. NO poo water on the streets as I drive along.

The RaspberryPi/Ardunio will then present a simple web interface and a static interface on a dedicated screen located in the wetbay.

This is going to merge my passions of coding, building, wiring, and 3d printing.

Once I have the system designed and installed, I will release publicly (GPL'd) all source code and a step by step that anyone with a credit card can follow (well maybe not anyone..but most anyone...well...some people...ok, nealC maybe)

I really appreciate the work that Charlie did with this whole design and so does my amazon rep...he was worried I was running out of things to buy.

(What, you all don't have dedicated Amazon reps that call you every day?)
Is this for the 2019 DSDP or the 2024 DSDP?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #101

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Is this for the 2019 DSDP or the 2024 DSDP?
It will be installed on my 2019, but will work for any rv. Nothing newmar specific.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It will be installed on my 2019, but will work for any rv. Nothing newmar specific.
You missed the humor. I'll try again in an hour after you wake up.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
You missed the humor. I'll try again in an hour after you wake up.
Ya, sorry I did. I am working today with an end user that causes all humor to evaporate. Finaly diagnosed the issue. The infamous ID-10T error.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #104

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am envious of Raspberry PI programmers.

I really think the technology that is available has been overlooked too long for this application.

I would love to have a 7" touch screen where the SYSTEMS approach is seamlessly integrated. Why have to go to four different places to find information.

Tank Levels
Valve Operation (Black and Gray)
Valve Operation (flushing freshwater rinse)
Sanicon

It seems you should be able to automate the entire process...

I was thinking to myself...if I knew Rasperberry Pi...I could ser up a user configurable routine to...

Open Black Valve
Open Freshwater Flush
Close Black Valve
...@ 10% Black Tank Level...Open Black Valve
...@ 0% Black Tank Level...Close Black Valve
Repeat twice more...
Close Black Valve
...short time delay...close fresh water flush...

Open Gray Valve...
@ 0% Gray...close Gray valve.

All the things we routinely do breaking camp with FHU...automated.

You could configure other routines as needed for dump station, with or without flush...or dumping a prescribed amount of gray into a ferry tank, etc...

The technology exists...the manufacturers have just missed the boat on innovation.

There is absolutly no integration between tank sensors, valves, displays...etc...

See Level (Garnett) cheaped out on thier Bluetooth model. It could have had user programmable alarms or notifications...but it is just a stupid display.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
On that note, the wet bay is obsolete. Imagine all tanks centered in the coach. The wet bay is now for storage. You have a connection for a sewer hose with a small door, in that is also a water spigot for hose connection and black tank rinse. A separate small door is where the fresh water hose is pulled out from. Electric gates are the only way to dump but even so, T-Handles could be integrated as backup.

This massive compartment for a wet bay is a waste (no pun intended).
Old 05-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like that idea.

Small panel like Jet Aircraft.

Pull the Waste Master hose from a vault in the campsite or dump station. Attach it to your port...and done. Same with flush water...same small panel.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does anyone know of an external tank sensor that has an api ?

I can write code for almost anything. I need someone to decipher the kib protocols or I need a separate sensor that had a documented api.

The rest of what Charlie wrote is easy, and is in the scope of my project as of now.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Waste hose is on a reel like fresh (don’t mix them up if color blind!!). No connecting/disconnecting needed.

I can’t wait to see your design for your 53’ LADP conversion.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #109

Quote:
Does anyone know of an external tank sensor that has an api ?

I can write code for almost anything. I need someone to decipher the kib protocols or I need a separate sensor that had a documented api.

The rest of what Charlie wrote is easy, and is in the scope of my project as of now.
I have spoken to KIB lead engineer about this at the CES show. He came by our booth. They will not provide protocol information for fear we might do something that they should have thought of first.
So, the KIB protocol will have to be reverse engineered. There is already a forum user that is just starting on that undertaking...

I don't have a "smarter than analog" RV or it would have been done already. That combined with RV-C and the plethora of devices on the market will provide complete automation capability.

Automating the waste valves is very easy. One does not need to be a programmer either...but that helps.

In several of my posts, I suggest I will be putting in an ELK M1 Gold security system. The prime reason to do this overkill is it provides means to get sensor inputs. But, this is only one of a thousand ways.

1-Wire is another.

Ultrasonic level sensors. conduction sensors, lots of different ways to detect levels non hostilely.

Once you start going down this path, then even if you code, you have to think about leveraging the years / decades of work of others instead of hard coding each initiative.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #110

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I have spoken to KIB lead engineer about this at the CES show. He came by our booth. They will not provide protocol information for fear we might do something that they should have thought of first.
So, the KIB protocol will have to be reverse engineered. There is already a forum user that is just starting on that undertaking...

I don't have a "smarter than analog" RV or it would have been done already. That combined with RV-C and the plethora of devices on the market will provide complete automation capability.

Automating the waste valves is very easy. One does not need to be a programmer either...but that helps.

In several of my posts, I suggest I will be putting in an ELK M1 Gold security system. The prime reason to do this overkill is it provides means to get sensor inputs. But, this is only one of a thousand ways.

1-Wire is another.

Ultrasonic level sensors. conduction sensors, lots of different ways to detect levels non hostilely.

Once you start going down this path, then even if you code, you have to think about leveraging the years / decades of work of others instead of hard coding each initiative.
You have poked my interest, might have to pull out th o-scope. Just looking at the connector it is obviously a serial interface, my guess is CAN or 1708 ( protocols from heavy trucks, i.e motor homes) with the right analyzer this should be easy. I will not be in a position to do this till mid July, but will try then. Once we know the protocol it will just be a matter or seeing which buttons send what codes and what sensors are transmitting , all just takes some time once the protocol is known. Haven’t talked to KIB yet but wouldn’t be surprise if they already have wireless interface to their bus. I actually thought the Luxury Newmar already had some type of tablet.

I might call the company about doing some research on the bus for experimental edu type research, actually have some students that would love this. If whoever called them before would pm me I would gladly give it a shot. Some places really love doing work with universities
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Just make sure you understand the shape of your tank and where to install sensors. They are oddly shaped.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #112

After a week on the road and the last few days in raw, rainy weather, I can say the electric wireless waste valves are FANTASTIC! I don't miss the regular visits to the wet bay at the most inopportune time. Really is a quality of life improvement. Hats off again to Charlie and Neal for pioneering the Ventana effort and to Charlie for diagramming, documenting, and soldering!
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, valve