RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb Wireless Waste Tank Valves

Okay...I admit this is over the top. 99% of you will think it a crazy scheme.

For the 1% that understand...I want to share a project I am working on.

If you camp with Full HookUps...
If you stay more than a few days...
If you own a coach that has the wet bay located under the Full Wall Slide
If you hate climbing under the FWS to access the valves during your stay

I have just the project for you... Especially, if you have WiFi router and Amazon Echo Dot or other Alexa device.

Yes...You too could ask Alexa to open or close either tank valve from the convenience of your living room. Or use a Wireless RF remote/ or Smartphone App to do the same.

How it works...

To keep the cost under control, and the system simplistic...I used the following components...

3" Barker Auto Drain Valve. PN 24130
1 1/2" Barker Auto Drain Valve. PN 24140
Sonoff 4Ch Pro R2 (must get the Pro Revision 2)
Barrel keyed On-Off Master Switch ( for disarming when NOT connected to sewer)
4PDT On-0ff-On toggle switch
Sonoff 433Mhz Wireless Smart Remote Controller (if desired)
Philmore Right Andle DC Power Plug - 2.5mm ID, 5.5mm OD. (TC250 for power to Sonoff)
Wire as needed...

I have the Sonoff 4ch R2 wired to 12v Non-Continuous Power from behind Cord Reel.
I have the switched 12v power to the two Barker Switches...and the four N.O. terminals on relays R1-R4. The Sonoff is set to Inching Mode...and I have the time interval set to 7 seconds...I may shorten that if it's not needed.(S1 to 1, K5 to 0000, K6 to 1001)

The Green and Brown wires from the Barker Auto Valves go to the Common Pole on the 4PDT switch...you'll have two pairs. The Green and Brown from the Barker control switch go to one switch position...and the common terminal on R1,R2 and R3, R4 go to the other switch position. This allows you to select valve operation between the Sonoff device...or the included Barker control switches. Lastly, the N.C. position on all four Sonoff relays are wired to 12vdc - (ground)

The Sonoff includes instructions for downloading the Smartphone eWeLink App...and connecting to your wireless network. If desired...you can also download the Alexa eWeLink SKILL...to train your Alexa device to open and close the valves.

Well...this is a fun little project. The Barker Auto Drain valves piggyback onto your existing Valterra dump valves...so other than removing two screws to mount the plate...nothing else is required ( they do recommend dumping your tanks before mounting). No more running out in the pouring rain to dump gray or opening gray to do laundry. I'll just make double sure the sewer hose it screwed into the ground connection...and ask "Alexa" to do it for me.

Enjoy....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

I am convinced that a wireless waste tank valve is fodder for entertainment! Could easily be a scene in a modern remake of RV...

RW: Pardon me dear while I go to the rear of the coach. I've got to go to the can and take a dump...
Alexa: Dumping now sir.
RW: Oh! No, NO, NOOO Alexa! No not the waste tank!
Alexa: Dumping the waste tank now sir.
RW: Stop. Close the valve now!
Alexa: Sorry. I don't understand 'close the valve now.'
RW: Oh crap!
RW: Oh no! The plumbing cabinet is going to full of [Mod Edit]!.

DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I agree. Have had too many failures of wireless devices to trust them with this type of [Mod Edit]. Run a set of wires to the dump valves.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This looks very interesting. I have questions, and will start with the easy one first.

My coach has valtera waste gates. Does the Barker replace the waste gate, or does it sit ontop of the waste gate and operate the valtera handle?

I am reading the manual, but cannot picture how this installs.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This looks very interesting. I have questions, and will start with the easy one first.

My coach has valtera waste gates. Does the Barker replace the waste gate, or does it sit ontop of the waste gate and operate the valtera handle?

I am reading the manual, but cannot picture how this installs.
It sits on top of the existing valve.

First you use two screws provided to mount the included metal plate to the Autovalve housing. Next, unscrew the T-handles from your Valterra valves. Now attach the Autovalve by removing two of your flange screws...aligning the mounting plate and reinstalling the two screws. Finally, a coupler is attached to the threaded rod where your T-handles once were. Now the Autovalve does the actuation of the valve. If you have an electrical failure...simply use the hex wrench to remove the two barker screws that attach the housing to the plate...and pull the motor housing to open the valve manually. You do not mess with the flange screws...just the motor housing screws.

Hopefully, with the drawing...it will make more sense.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I agree. Have had too many failures of wireless devices to trust them with this type of [Mod Edit]. Run a set of wires to the dump valves.
There will be an option to use either...the 4PDT switch selects the Wireless enabled device OR the original included hardwired switches. I did this more because I wanted to keep the flashing red Valve OPEN light...and in case I wanted to manually open a valve partially...as I commonly will when connected to my 42 gallon Tote.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I am convinced that a wireless waste tank valve is fodder for entertainment! Could easily be a scene in a modern remake of RV...

RW: Pardon me dear while I go to the rear of the coach. I've got to go to the can and take a dump...
Yes...the Alexa command I use is too convoluted to accidentally trigger... and I’m not handing out the phrase to just anyone.

I will have the system disarmed...by KEY lock...when I’m not likely to be using it...or at an NKK event with twenty hooligans standing outside our window guessing Alexa commands.

Hmmm....maybe I shouldn’t have shared this idea...I could be in trouble.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #8

Wireless Waste Tank Valves

Interesting idea from a techno geek point of view. I did not know that these valves exist. Thanks for the info.

Adding electromechanical devices to the water bay sounds like asking for trouble. My manual handle is getting tight and I need to lubricate it. How do I know this? With a motorized solution, you will not detect this problem, the motor will work harder and eventually something will fail. If you are already reaching for the key switch, why not just use a valve switch instead of Alexa?

Are you documenting all this for the next owner?

Not knocking the idea, just throwing out some considerations. Looking forward to more discussion.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have the skills to do a wireless setup unless it was premade. For all the reasons "C.Martin" listed, is why I made my valves electric. When parked for more than a couple of days, the electric valves are invaluable. I use to dread whenever I had to climb under that slide to open drain valves, especially in a tight site with bushes and the shore power pole adjacent to the wet bay door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

Hahaha One thing for sure you will have Google inteligence gathering department scratching they heads

Zzotte
Old 03-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Interesting idea from a techno geek point of view. I did not know that these valves exist. Thanks for the info.

Adding electromechanical devices to the water bay sounds like asking for trouble. My manual handle is getting tight and I need to lubricate it. How do I know this? With a motorized solution, you will not detect this problem, the motor will work harder and eventually something will fail. If you are already reaching for the key switch, why not just use a valve switch instead of Alexa?

Are you documenting all this for the next owner?

Not knocking the idea, just throwing out some considerations. Looking forward to more discussion.
Yes...I will need to keep up with valve lubrication better than I have been.

The whole system runs on very low amperage...the valves come with a 500mA inline fuse. There is a whole lot of 12v going on in there already... Water pump controller, Oasis Fan wiring and bimetal thermostat, Water pump momentary switch...See Level II gauge...if added. This wonít be too much of a problem...

The idea is to open the bay when I park...connect my slinky...then Arm the system...close the door. Then open Slides... when I am finished camping, retract slide, disarm system, disconnect and store slinky...

Itís only while doing routine waste chore while camped for a while. I wonít have to climb on hands and knees to get to anything.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$20 to have a hook welded to an old golf club! Bada Boom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	522.3 KB
ID:	236467  
SMertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMertens View Post
$20 to have a hook welded to an old golf club! Bada Boom
Now you just need invisibility so your neighbors donít see you in your underwear, and an umbrella holder for those torrential summer rains...

Or

Remote control...just sayiní
Old 03-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #14
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Y'all are crazy doing all those mods

Tags
tank, valve