Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #1

Wonderful trip!

Now that the coach is clean and everything is almost back to normal, I really have to post about our trip. We were heading out from South Florida to the opposite end of the country to see our son who is stationed at the mouth of the Columbia River. We have never been West of the Mississippi. I was very apprehensive starting this one because our last short trip to the Tampa show didn't start out so well as some will remember (HERE) We also were taking our new Belgian puppy Irma who was only 9 months old. (she had only been with us for 2 months) I am happy to say my enthusiasm for RVing is renewed. Almost 8000 miles, 3 months, only real issues were a broken fog light from road debris and 2 plumbing vents from a hail storm in SD. Absolutely can't wait for our Oct trip to Freightliner in Gaffney.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (6).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	214227  
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations on a wonderful and uneventful trip!

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

Look like a great trip. And that it was mechanically uneventful, even better. You saw some wonderful stuff along the way.

You son is stationed at the mouth of the Columbia. Could it be the Coast Guard station in Astoria? If so, my thanks to him and the family for his service. There is a great Fish and Chips place (Bow Picker) across the street from the Coast Guard museum.

I lived in Astoria in the early 50’s when my dad was stationed at the Navy Base (long since decommissioned) there. We visit there every few years. The town is still very much like it was when I was a kid, except the Ferry to WA is gone, as are the large commercial fishing fleet and canneries. Spent plenty of time in small craft crossing “the bar” heading out to the Pacific to fish for some mighty fine Salmon. Crossing the bar in small craft, is better than any E ticket ride at Disneyland.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jim ... sounds like a great trip from looking at your map. I assume that was generated from your trip program software? What program do you use?

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Jim ... sounds like a great trip from looking at your map. I assume that was generated from your trip program software? What program do you use?

FLSteve
RV Trip Wizard Best one I've found.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post

Crossing the bar in small craft, is better than any E ticket ride at Disneyland.
He's actually at the National Motor Lifeboat School, Cape Disappointment. We did hit Bow Pickers while there. He's out on the bar in one of the 47's most the time riding with new classes that come in. He absolutely loves it and has adapted well for only 20 years old.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
He's actually at the National Motor Lifeboat School, Cape Disappointment. We did hit Bow Pickers while there. He's out on the bar in one of the 47's most the time riding with new classes that come in. He absolutely loves it and has adapted well for only 20 years old.

Good for him!!

The Navy took us out fishing in old flat bottom LCM’s most of the time. They had large line netting strung across the inside of the ramp at the bow. Us kids (I was about 6 years old) would lock arms around it and hang on while crossing the bar. Great times!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	214262
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like a great trip Jim! Wowza that's some miles and long legs. Hopefully you got good rest at the stopovers.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Looks like a great trip Jim! Wowza that's some miles and long legs. Hopefully you got good rest at the stopovers.
This was the most restful trip we've had. No real schedule except catching the rally in Gillette. We stayed each place at least 3 days with some up to 9 days. A real boost to my love of traveling! Next year I'm planning on 10 - 12000 miles and 5 or 6 months, God willing.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

Glad you made it there and back safely and you have some great memories to tide you over til the next trip.
How many miles did you plan for the legs of the trip? Like 300/day?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Glad you made it there and back safely and you have some great memories to tide you over til the next trip.
How many miles did you plan for the legs of the trip? Like 300/day?
I try to aim for 300- 350 per section but did have a couple that were close to 500. I hit almost every rest area just to take a10 min break. 65 mph... very relaxing.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We've made the western portion of that loop several times; beautiful country. One of these days, we'll do the eastern half.

Please thank you son for his service. We have a special place in our hearts for "Coasties" out here in the Pacific Northwest. They are lifesavers...literally.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #13

I remember your story from your Tampa trip, not good. So glad this trip was much better.
We are on a trip of a lifetime, at present we are in Glennallen, Alaska. We live in Clearwater, Fl we left there the first week in April. So far we have logged over 7000 miles on our 2010 DSDP. We have put another 3400 miles on our Jeep toad. We will be in Alaska until the 2nd of September, then start the long trek home. Our Newmar has preformed like a champ. Few minor problems, but so far, knock on wood nothing major. Cannot imagine seeing Alaska any other way than by motorhome. Now that you have your confidence restored make some plans, get out there, you have the best motorhome made, go enjoy it.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKatMsu View Post
I remember your story from your Tampa trip, not good. So glad this trip was much better.
We are on a trip of a lifetime, at present we are in Glennallen, Alaska. We live in Clearwater, Fl we left there the first week in April. So far we have logged over 7000 miles on our 2010 DSDP. We have put another 3400 miles on our Jeep toad. We will be in Alaska until the 2nd of September, then start the long trek home. Our Newmar has preformed like a champ. Few minor problems, but so far, knock on wood nothing major. Cannot imagine seeing Alaska any other way than by motorhome. Now that you have your confidence restored make some plans, get out there, you have the best motorhome made, go enjoy it.
Wow, you left about the same time we did. I would like to try Alaska, but was worried about the roads.