Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

Wondering if my slide is extending completely...

Was wondering if a more seasoned RVr could tell me if this looks right to them. I picked up this RV a few weeks ago and I've been going through fixing up the things that need fixing.

It is a 2009 Newmar Allstar

Anyway, while lubricating the slides I noticed a couple things.

The first thing I noticed was a small rip in the seal on the bottom of the bed room slide. I'm not sure it merits replacing.. but if I do decide to tackle the job is there a certain technique to doing so?

The second thing is that the slide doesn't appear to be extending all the way out. I get this impression because the windows aren't clearing the seals. I found a nut that seems to be the adjuster nut for telling the slide when to stop, but before I back it off a couple turns I wanted to make sure that I'm correct in thinking it's not extending all the way and get any advice on doing it.

I've attached some pictures to show what I'm talking about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96bxuwoxio...back.win.1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6241pv3kp...back.win.2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfa1n9qvbrbbqdm/nut.1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/krle1bjcll6xd17/nut.2.jpg
Altonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #2

The stop nut is to load the motor and prevent damage to the sealing flange , and that's inside the coach, so not shown in you pictures.
When the slide is in you can see the seal mounted to the back side of the flange, when extended the seal should be tight against the coach wall and can be examined inside the coach, with a mirror if necessary. The outside seal overhanging the window edge could easily be a result of sticky walls on the slide and could be corrected with a coat of wax, on the wall, and silicone spray on the seal.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How is the back side of the fascia to the interior wall surface is it flush to wall or does it have a gap around it? The foam seal should be some what depressed.
Here is a link to some measurements of a rod that was broken and I gave member the distances of the nuts on my bedroom rod. Scroll to bottom of link.
The windows are large for bedroom slide as long as the seal is on the back side flat portion of window wall the seal should block and water intrusion.
Make sure there is no fold in the seal if there is use your awning rod to flatten seal against the wall.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #4

Skip426,

I have pictures of the nut linked.. 2 are outside the coach and 2 are inside.. perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean? There's no sticky parts of the walls from what I can tell. I think it's all related to slide nuts not being properly set, but could be entirely wrong.

The foam seal is not depressed. I went to the link you provided and my measurements aren't even close to those.. or I'm not measuring correctly. I'll see if I have some time later this evening to go back out and find the 2nd slide nut. I tried loosening the nut just a few turns to see if I noticed any difference and there was no discernible difference so there's a second nut somewhere.

Everyone,

Also to note I found some plastic stuffed down on the very back part of the slide.. I don't know if it's liner from under the carpet or what, I can't pull it out and I can't get back there to investigate. Perhaps it's something that got shoved down in there and is blocking the slide from extending fully?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonymous View Post
Skip426,

I have pictures of the nut linked.. 2 are outside the coach and 2 are inside.. perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean?
Everyone,
Also to note I found some plastic stuffed down on the very back part of the slide.. I don't know if it's liner from under the carpet or what, I can't pull it out and I can't get back there to investigate. Perhaps it's something that got shoved down in there and is blocking the slide from extending fully?
The pictures that I was referring too would be of the flange and foam seal that "007" mentioned.
If there is any chance that there is something stopping the slide , before the mechanism gets to the stop adjustment nuts, then that should be dealt with before any adjustments.
The slide controller is load sensitive , and as soon as the amp draw of the motor spikes the controller shuts down , thinking the slide is fully extended; against the stops; so don't adjust the stop nuts, until you are sure there is nothing else that could possibly be stopping the slide before it's fully out. If you think there is a problem with the foam you're seeing, that has to be dealt with.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Agree with Skip as to material in back side of slide or behind the small cabinets either side of bed.
Shoes, slippers can fall into cavity when slide is closed if pushed to far back on rugged space on floor beside cabinet and bed platform.
Looking at the pictures the space on headboard wall floor looks clean in fact my coach had rug laid on floor of bed lower compartment.
If there is some thing loose may not belong there.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Agree with Skip as to material in back side of slide or behind the small cabinets either side of bed.
Shoes, slippers can fall into cavity when slide is closed if pushed to far back on rugged space on floor beside cabinet and bed platform.
Looking at the pictures the space on headboard wall floor looks clean in fact my coach had rug laid on floor of bed lower compartment.
If there is some thing loose may not belong there.
I made sure everything was clear from there.. there's water coming in for sure.. It's been raining like cats & dogs here and the slide has been "out" The carpet on one side of the room is getting pretty wet.

Can someone clarify.. are there two nuts that I need to adjust to get it to slide out further? I adjusted one and it slid all the way until it hit the nut and then stopped.. wife was looking at it on the outside for me and said it wasn't out any further than before.. so I moved the nut back in place and left it alone in search of more information. It's really confusing me, back the nut off it goes all the way to the nut but doesn't seem to go out further on the outside.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back off the stop nut some more to go out more, once the bed slide fascia hits the wall motor will be disconnect from power for it, by controller.
Turn nut by a 1/4" at a time.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Back off the stop nut some more to go out more, once the bed slide fascia hits the wall motor will be disconnect from power for it, by controller.
Turn nut by a 1/4" at a time.
I backed it off quite a bit.. and when things didn't look like they were changing I put it back. I probably moved that nut 10-12 threads Probably almost an inch... and my wife said it made no difference from her perspective.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you know where the controller is for bedroom slide mine was in the linen closet.
Turn the pot clockwise in a small increment to give motor increased current before controller stops motor.
May want to back off the nut some also.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Do you know where the controller is for bedroom slide mine was in the linen closet.
Turn the pot clockwise in a small increment to give motor increased current before controller stops motor.
May want to back off the nut some also.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it well. I'm going to try and take a video of the slide in action tonight and hopefully that will give some more context to what's going on then how I'm explaining things.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How much space are we talking about behind the fascia and wall around the fascia.
If there is more space at the top or bottom to wall you may have a roller problem.
You can see the rollers with bed frame standing up in the picture.
Your getting water inside because the slide seal is lifted on your outside window frame it needs to be flush against the slide wall surface, are you sure there is nothing behind the fascia and wall inside.
Something is not right behind the fascia after looking at your pictures.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #13

Here is a quick video I made. It's horrible lighting and cuts off abruptly, but should give you an idea what I'm looking at.

http://youtu.be/1cX6fjW0_dE

I'll check closer on each side. Memory tells me they are even. I'll see if I can angle my phone to get a clear picture.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #14

Okay I started feeling around closer with the slide out. There is a metal bracket behind the foam. Although the foam doesn't reach the wall the bracket is completely flush all the way around. So it seems that is what's stopping it from going out any further.

Tags
slide