Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Wood splinters from under slide

I keep finding these wood splinters under the curb side kitchen slide. I'm guessing they're from the floor under layment. Anyone ever see these in their coach? Should I be concerned?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

I would be very concerned. Stand outside while someone bring the slide in and listen to hear if anything sounds strange. Save all that to show your dealer or send pictures to Newmar. Good luck!
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I got a flashlight on it from the inside after bringing the slide part way in from the full extended position.

The area just above the floor rollers appears to be where the this stuff is coming form. I suspect how I am engaging the black plastic floor protectors are the issue.

I think need to get the rollers up onto to the tile a little bit before positioning the protectors. I usually give them some "encouragement" by putting my foot on the protector and push forward to get the edge under the roller. I could see with enough force and the rollers below the floor where I might chip off a piece. I don't see a structural issue here.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

That's not a splinter, that's a log. Look into it.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The wood I believe is attached to the slide roller pads to prevent the plastic form moving in as the roller engages the the lip of floor.
The wood would be push on the floor until the wood piece drops over the lip of floor.
The wood pieces show only 1/2 black on them not fully glued to mat protector for floor.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
I got a flashlight on it from the inside after bringing the slide part way in from the full extended position.

The area just above the floor rollers appears to be where the this stuff is coming form. I suspect how I am engaging the black plastic floor protectors are the issue.

I think need to get the rollers up onto to the tile a little bit before positioning the protectors. I usually give them some "encouragement" by putting my foot on the protector and push forward to get the edge under the roller. I could see with enough force and the rollers below the floor where I might chip off a piece. I don't see a structural issue here.
My coach did not come with the plastic floor protectors. Told that they are no longer being provided. So far no issues with not having them.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
My coach did not come with the plastic floor protectors. Told that they are no longer being provided. So far no issues with not having them.
Interesting since we both have 2017 models. I sure would like to not have to use them. I'll contact Newmar and see what they say.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As long as you are not finding crushed beer cans, you are OK [emoji23]
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I talked to Newmar today and they agree with me that it's because I'm not getting the rollers on the tile before inserting the protectors.

I asked about the floor protectors and they recommend using them. If not using them then the floor rollers need to be cleaned every couple of weeks to prevent scratching the tile.

I asked if there was anything written about this. There is not.

Tags
slide