Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #1

Working all day in office chair...on linoleum

I will be working from the RV (2017 VLDP) for some time. I値l try not to be jealous of those of you with tile floors. My expensive office chair, like many, has wheels and I would like to do my best to keep the floors undamaged.
I can稚 really use a plastic chair mat with the carpet spikes. I think some sort of rug would work. It would have to be thick enough to protect the floor yet allow me to roll just a little.
I知 also worried about the rubber backing of some rugs because I値l be putting a lot of pressure from the rubber backing directly onto the linoleum and I知 not certain if that痴 good for it.
Does anyone have experience with sitting in a desk chair with wheels for hours on end, day after day and not ruining your linoleum? If so, what do you use?
Thanks
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #2

Get a Hard Floor Chair Mat......staples, office depot etc

Large clear thick plastic sheet for hard floors (not carpet)

Several styles....scroll down to 'red chair' picture
https://www.staples.com/Chair-Mats/cat_CL70205
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #3

We have several hard floor chair mats. My favorite is a bamboo wood one from staples. It was easy to cut to shape and rolls up easily for storage. I have a vinyl one too that got relegated to under the bird cage duty.

There is another option and it is clear roller blade type replacement casters. https://www.amazon.com/SunnieDog-Off...e+chair+wheels
Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Get a Hard Floor Chair Mat......staples, office depot etc

Large clear thick plastic sheet for hard floors (not carpet)

Several styles....scroll down to 'red chair' picture
https://www.staples.com/Chair-Mats/cat_CL70205

Thanks for the tip. I think I値l get one of those.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
We have several hard floor chair mats. My favorite is a bamboo wood one from staples. It was easy to cut to shape and rolls up easily for storage. I have a vinyl one too that got relegated to under the bird cage duty.

There is another option and it is clear roller blade type replacement casters. https://www.amazon.com/SunnieDog-Off...e+chair+wheels

Now you got me curious. I like that idea of the roller blade wheels.
I might have to try it out. Seems much safer on any floor than what I have now. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReif View Post
I might have to try it out. Seems much safer on any floor than what I have now. Thanks for the tip.
Your welcome. If you go that route let me know how it goes. I want to change out the casters on my husbands office chair but haven't got around to it.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReif View Post
I work 10 hrs a day in the control room of a natural gas plant.

All of our office chairs in this room have the "roller blade" style wheels for the lino. Going on 10 years now with no damage. Very easy to roll around on as well.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post
I work 10 hrs a day in the control room of a natural gas plant.

All of our office chairs in this room have the "roller blade" style wheels for the lino. Going on 10 years now with no damage. Very easy to roll around on as well.

Control Room floor is linoleum......?

I was a Control Operator for major utility company 12 hr shifts and or floor was 'special non-static' tile due to the digital controllers.

We even had to put on a grounding strap when we removed a controller from the console.

Those 'roller blades' look interesting. Wish we had used those vs the old standard chair casters. 24 hour shift workers took a toll on those chairs.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #9

@ Old-Biscuit

We have 8 PC's and monitors in the console for our SCADA system. We can R&R those machines without static straps. The telecommunications bay, not so much.

The lino is about 3/16" thick and came in a 25' x 10' wide roll. Perhaps it is not real lino, as in residential quality. It is very similar to the flooring installed in schools in the 60's.

The regular caster chairs killed the old floor. The new floor was installed about 10 yrs ago and we went with the "roller blade" casters at the same time. Floor looks like new.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Your welcome. If you go that route let me know how it goes. I want to change out the casters on my husbands office chair but haven't got around to it.

Ordered the roller blade wheels today. I値l let you know how they do.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #11

Let us know how they work for you......

Tags
air