Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #29

If Newmar lowered its warrantee to be competitive they should lower their prices accordingly.A lot of the issues we read about here should have been caught either at the factory or the dealer.
Most issues are blamed on vendors and are industry wide,but as Newmar owners we pay a premium to have the same problems.
I understand that Newmar factory service is outstanding but I don`t intend to spend my vacation time & money running back and forth to Camp Newmar.
We like our motorhome and enjoy the Kountry Klub but without the extended warrantee I don`t think I would buy another.
The highline owners we read about here must be the most patient people in the world.I would be furious if I spent that kind of money and had all those problems and had to keep returning to Nappanee because the servicing dealer network isn`t able to handle these issues.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #30
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The highline owners we read about here must be the most patient people in the world.I would be furious if I spent that kind of money and had all those problems and had to keep returning to Nappanee because the servicing dealer network isn`t able to handle these issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newmar, CC, Prevost, American Coach, and all the other brands, regardless of price, have far more problems than they should.

I don't see that Newmar has any more problems than the other brands, and less than some.

Doesn't make it right though.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:13 AM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Had to keep returning to Nappanee because the servicing dealer network isn`t able to handle these issues.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoonman, I CHOOSE to make the trek to Camp Newmar.
In the winter months I live in Florida and have used North Trail for several things...For the most part though, I've chosen to go to Nappanee since the BEST techs and ALL the parts are there...
This summer we were going right by there on the way back from being out west so it wasn't that big of a deal.
As it turned out I had to drag my 10 year old away from there as she was having such a good time...

Grandma Vicky was keeping her pretty busy!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #32

Time for me to chime in on this one. Being that the warranty on my last three rv's was only one year, I really didn't miss not getting a three year warranty on my '06 Madp. It would have been nice but no big deal. I did have some initial problems -- fewer than my other coaches however -- which have been solved. What I didn't like and kinda turned me off was when I had a concern while under the one year warranty and Newmar didn't want to authorize my selling dealer(big problem there) to make the repair. Obviously, there has been a problem with keyless entry touch pads and mine was intermittent. In the end, Newmar took care of it. I preferred to get a list together and then make one trip to the factory so the pros could repair everything right the first time, which they did! I am very satisfied with the overall quality of my coach and will probably purchase another Newmar in the future. My one year has been up for several months and I believe I have had all manufacturer's(Newmar) concerns addressed. That was a time consuming process for the first year but it forced me to get things handled rather than have items taken care of when I felt like it. I have read about alot of issues on this and other forums which were put off until much later due to the length of the three year warranty. If an appliance or non-Newmar device goes bad at this point, I will call the manufacturer of that item and see what I can do. I know many of the equipment warranties are longer than the coach maker's and I also know that many of the other companies step up to the plate long after the warranty is up. I do believe and watch INITIAL QUALITY though and there is no excuse for poor quality out of the gate. Just my opinion.

P.S. How 'bout those Ravens -- GO TEAM

Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #33

Bob,
My post was not meant to offend you or anyone, including the the good servicing dealers that are out there.
You, most of all,must be Newmars most patient customer,and please, no offence intended.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #34
Administrator Emeritus

No offense taken Spoonman...

Just like every other item we buy, there are regrettably "bad apples" out there, even in the Newmar dealer family.
I have offered my opinion on the ones I've come across and this is not the platform for those thoughts.

Many of you know my "history" with Newmar, some of you may not...
I've been in and around the intricate inner workings of Newmar as a result of some of my issues and formed more than one personal relationship with several of the folks there in Nappanee.

What I've found on a personal level is that these people are hard working folks like you and me that are trying to do the right thing in their position...At the beginning of the day these folks put their pants on just like you and I do and I've personally witnessed MANY of them go "above and beyond" what was expected of them, in order that a customer have a positive experience in Nappanee at the service center.

AND....I'm not JUST talking about the high line service area...

Newmar has been around a long time and as a result has endured some "ups" and some "downs" as a result of a changing RV market and more especially a changing economy.
People in these United States are going through some TOUGH times right now, with respect to the economy and housing and even fuel costs.

Why would anything think the owners of RV manufacturing companies would be insulated from rising costs?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aridon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ecker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bkh:
A decrease in warranty should not be viewed as a decrease in quality. In reality, Newmar had to lower their warranty to be competitive in the marketplace. My understanding is they lowered it to match their competitors. Warranties have price tags associated with them, and a longer warranty means that higher costs are buried in the pricing.

Some might take the argument Newmar was having higher warranty cost due to poor quality and therefore had to lower the warranty. It's possible, but in general there are not too many quality product suppliers in the marketplace that can do that and stay in business for very long, and it's usually not the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The elimination of a three year warranty is an admission by Newmar that their failure costs are no better than the competitors i.e. thier quality is no better than competitors thus to compete on price they had to revert to an equivalent warranty cost struicture. Hopefully, a manufacturer will emerge who knows how to produce a high quality product such that they can gain a competitive advantage by offering longer warranty and/or reduce price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont' believe thats the case at all. Competitors all offer a 1 year warranty. Naturally Newmar's costs will be higher in that department if they offer a 3 year. You can make the best coach in the world and crap is going to break in 3 years.

Why, as a company, are you going to offer something 3x as long with the costs that go with it when none of your competitors stepped up to the plate and matched you?

Consumer can get a little greedy, its not like these coaches are flying off the lots like they were in past years the entire industry is hurting a bit. Given the market forces at play I think they made the right business decision.

In addition thank you everyone for your input on this it is appreciated.

Keep them comming! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------
Some warranty costs will exist for second and third year but they should be minimal and clearly under the control of the manufacturer. Don't forget the most stressed parts of the vehicle all ready have 3-5 year warranties at no expense to Newmar (chassis, engine, transmission, AC, refrigerator, and includes Newmar's own 5 yr structural warranty ) The real issue here is the ability of a manufacturer to be able to control manufacturing processes to point that the overall costs of quality are reduced to a point where very significant savings result (higher quality production results in lower costs !) and the savings can be used for increasing margins or offering enticements to improve competitive advantage such as extended warranties, added options as std, etc.

Not until the American RV consumer begins to demand improved quality will manufacturers respond.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #36

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aridon:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ecker:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bkh:
A decrease in warranty should not be viewed as a decrease in quality. In reality, Newmar had to lower their warranty to be competitive in the marketplace. My understanding is they lowered it to match t
Old 08-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aridon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ecker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bkh:
A decrease in warranty should not be viewed as a decrease in quality. In reality, Newmar had to lower their warranty to be competitive in the marketplace. My understanding is they lowered it to match their competitors. Warranties have price tags associated with them, and a longer warranty means that higher costs are buried in the pricing.

Some might take the argument Newmar was having higher warranty cost due to poor quality and therefore had to lower the warranty. It's possible, but in general there are not too many quality product suppliers in the marketplace that can do that and stay in business for very long, and it's usually not the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The elimination of a three year warranty is an admission by Newmar that their failure costs are no better than the competitors i.e. thier quality is no better than competitors thus to compete on price they had to revert to an equivalent warranty cost struicture. Hopefully, a manufacturer will emerge who knows how to produce a high quality product such that they can gain a competitive advantage by offering longer warranty and/or reduce price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont' believe thats the case at all. Competitors all offer a 1 year warranty. Naturally Newmar's costs will be higher in that department if they offer a 3 year. You can make the best coach in the world and crap is going to break in 3 years.

Why, as a company, are you going to offer something 3x as long with the costs that go with it when none of your competitors stepped up to the plate and matched you?

Consumer can get a little greedy, its not like these coaches are flying off the lots like they were in past years the entire industry is hurting a bit. Given the market forces at play I think they made the right business decision.

In addition thank you everyone for your input on this it is appreciated.

Keep them comming! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------
Some warranty costs will exist for second and third year but they should be minimal and clearly under the control of the manufacturer. Don't forget the most stressed parts of the vehicle all ready have 3-5 year warranties at no expense to Newmar (chassis, engine, transmission, AC, re
Old 08-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #38

Aridon

FWIW......

We have had several different coaches all by different manufactures. We looked at all of the front runners: Country Coach, Tiffen, American, Monaco and Foretravel. We could have bought any of these highline coaches. We chose an Essex. Price, fit,finish and company had everything to do with our choice.
We have had our issues also....however we have been very well taken care of by highline service and our dealer--RV America Inc in Loveland Colorado. Having said that we have not had any major problems such as AC, Ref, or such. Knock on wood...
But I guess I don't know how you assess blame on Newmar or any other coach manufacturer for a bad Ref,AC or engine. All manufacturers buy from pretty much the same pool of vendors. Colors and styles will vary but the bottom line is its all the same.
So......Would We?

Absolutely!!!

Ernie
g_essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #39

Not sure we would buy a Newmar again. We bought the first year they cut their warranty period to 1 year. That is not enough time to discover all the problems--maybe if you are full-timing. We experienced quite a few problems with our KSDP. Most nuisance items but one major problem still haunts us--the slides. They have never operated properly and always out of alignment. We have had them repaired at four different places around the US and no one gets them fixed. Newmar paid for the work three times out-of-warranty (after a battle) because it was an ongoing problem. We are on our own now.

At 15,000 miles, we have problems with every trip--most small in nature but we feel there should be more quality for the price paid. We feel that after 16 months we are beginning to replace everything.

We talk about buying a new coach it could be a Newmar but more than likely we will be looking for something else with a longer warranty.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
adventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adventurers:
Not sure we would buy a Newmar again. We bought the first year they cut their warranty period to 1 year. That is not enough time to discover all the problems--maybe if you are full-timing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have been full timing but its is hard to find a knowledgable dealer and impossible to schedule with factory(usually 3000 miles away)so have had to correct things ourselves. The one major issue we also have not corrected is slide adjustment-have asked factory for help(since it is only one item) but only response so far is schedule for late October.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #41
Administrator Emeritus

I've heard so many times about Newmar cutting their three year warranty....

Can someone....anyone.....tell me another RV manufacturer that still has a three year warranty?

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Tiffin? nope...
Monaco? nope...
Country Coach? nope...
Foretravel? nope...
Fleetwood? nope...
Thor? nope...[/list]
Warranties cost money to maintain.....every manufacturer, while making a good product, must make money to survive.
If you've ever owned a business and not made money....you know exactly what I am talking about.

Industry-wide they're all going to a one year warranty......I'm not talking about "structural" warranties....I'm talking about warranty.

Dick Parks came over from Fleetwood to run the show....Mahlon wanted to retire and until Matt was groomed to take over, there wasn't anyone to run the show. Those that know what Dick has done at Newmar will tell you he has done a good job, while of course he has had his share of controversy.....Ever owned a company and made changes in long standing policies? You betcha...

For those that don't know....the RV industry is in the same place the residential housing and mortgage industry is in.....the TANK!

It's going to take a hard line to stay afloat and continue to do business in this market and I have faith that the decisions that Dick is making, and one day that Matt will make, will continue to keep Newmar as one of the best manufacturers out there...

Would I do it again? Come see me in 2010 when I'm picking up that new London Aire in Nappanee.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #42
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but only response so far is schedule for late October. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See ya there Dave....then we can head over to Branson for the NKK Christmas show from October 31st through the 6th of November!