Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #1

Ok real simple. What coach do you have now, and would you buy another Newmar?

Lets be realistic here and if you are making a big jump, lets say from a Dutch Star to a Prevost please let us know if you would still purchase the Newmar if you were shopping the same class of vehicle.

If you wouldn't purchase another please explain your reasons.

All input is appreciated. My wife and I are looking at purchsing this January and are looking at the Kountry Star. There are those that feel Newmar quality has dropped significantly over the past couple of years and we are trying to sort through the backround noise to get to the bottom of things.

I'm still thinking for the class and price, Newmar is still one of the best buys out there a long with Tiffin.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #2

Ok real simple. What coach do you have now, and would you buy another Newmar?

Lets be realistic here and if you are making a big jump, lets say from a Dutch Star to a Prevost please let us know if you would still purchase the Newmar if you were shopping the same class of vehicle.

If you wouldn't purchase another please explain your reasons.

All input is appreciated. My wife and I are looking at purchsing this January and are looking at the Kountry Star. There are those that feel Newmar quality has dropped significantly over the past couple of years and we are trying to sort through the backround noise to get to the bottom of things.

I'm still thinking for the class and price, Newmar is still one of the best buys out there a long with Tiffin.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Yes, I believe I would buy another Newmar.

I haven't looked at other brands in detail for a couple of years, but I would research Tiffin, and possibly Country Coach, and maybe something else that might catch my eye at the time.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I would in fact buy another Newmar...As most of you know I had a relatively bad experience with the Essex and as George and Carol can attest, I would've eventually had a nice coach had I taken LugNut's advice and kept it...
Sure they're having some issues with it, but issues happen.

Newmar has been very good to me and to many of those Newmar owners I've come in contact with...

ALL of the other manufacturers are having similar issues, even at Bob Tiffin's place he himself was forced to come out of retirement to rescue his boys...

I've been all over the service and customer areas in Nappanee and for the most part I've found happy people...Sure, I was parked next to a family with an '04 Mountain Aire that was having continued issues and they were visibly upset, but I submit to you those folks are the minority in my opinion.

I was just at the Newmar International Rally in Gillette, where there were some 730 Newmar Owners, many of which stood up when asked if they were repeat Newmar Owners...
Says something for me...
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the question Aridon.
Would I yes even with all the fixing I had to do with this KS and some work to chassis of other Newmars I have owned.
After owning other makes the Newmars just do not turn me off as others have. The fit and finish is one reason, if I work on something or add something I know its finished and will not have to redo.
I have had the present coach for 4 years pass June its a pleasure to drive and live in. All systems are go and the maintenance of it is as simple as you would want.
Have I looked at DP's yes but the gas is so much simplier to take care of, a new coach most likely a Workhorse W-24 OR W-25.5, GS or CS.
Four slides are great for room for a young family but we have gone thru that, we would pull a sleeper pop-up for our 60 kids.
All the extras of a larger coach require more maintenance if your up to that than go for it.
Your doing the right thing asking questions now and not when your in trouble some day, good luck in your adventure and look over what you decide on.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #6

We have been fulltiming in a 2005 EXDP for 1.5 years and it has been fairly dependable. We got the 3 year warranty which was a big reason we selected the brand. We still have that warranty for another full year.

I am not sure we would buy another Newmar since they seem to have an increase in quality problems at the same time that they have reduced the warranty. We hear folks on the forum blame it on Newmar's suppliers but it is still the responsibility of the integrator to check out the stuff they assemble to a finished product. New designs and components are not properly tested before the sale since they use the owners to do that for them on the back end. It also appears that the fit n finish and line manufacturing quality is slipping based on the reported problems. It is sad to hear about folks spending months at the factory or poorly trained dealers on many repeated trips.

It is unusual for a company to shorten warranty periods in today's higher quality minded marketplace. Their new 5 year superstructure warranty is a joke....when have you ever heard of anyone having a problem with the superstructure?

Think about auto makers... they are so confident in their products you are seeing them expanding warranties up to 10 year/100,000 miles. Newmar apparently knows that quality is suffering and wants to cut their losses by reducing their warranty. Folks are going to be mighty unhappy once their shorter warranty runs out and they are still debugging the systems and fixing manufacturing flaws out of their own pocket.

For a production rig, I would probably give the Tiffin a good look. We will keep the EXDP until it starts giving us trouble post warranty. The wife wants a bus conversion so we probably will go that route.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #7

Only if it had the needs we need to be filfilled, i.e. floor plan, features, etc. The issues are no more/no less that any other coach. There is no such thing as a "better buy" if it does not meet your needs/wants/desires, etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #8

We are on our second Newmar, so you know how we feel.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #9

Sorry about the typo (know). We took our MA gas to Alaska last summer and came home without a single problem. We only traded to upgrade a few things, but that MA was top quality.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
At this time, I just do not know if I would buy another Newmar. Since I was trying to get Newmar to build the floor plan I wanted one would think the answer would be an out right yes. However, I should have done what 007 mentioned. Stayed with a simple gas coach. I've had a simple gas coach and it was wonderful. I never had any trouble with it. Bumper to bumper, no trouble. Kept it over 10 years and only did routine maintenance. Any advanced features, I would put in myself and know it was done right. I am now into repeated failures. Some are components installed by Newmar (ex. A&E main awning controls. Yes, it needs repair again. The next repair will be #5. A&E slide toppers are on order for the second replacement. These didn't last 6 months.) Some are Newmar's fault (ex. basement doors continuing to delaminate). At this point I do not feel any changes are being made to stop these parts from needing repair. I am concerned as to the cost of ownership after the warranty is over.

Saying the entire industry is the same or worse than Newmar is not an acceptable answer, for me. The current state of quality makes me . I do not think anyone at Newmar is interested in making a zero defect product. That really bothers me. I am really thankfull Newmar does not make airplanes. Newmar has stood behind their product . That is not my concern. My concern is that Newmar must stand behind their product because so much goes wrong with it.

I love the RV lifstyle. It will be part of me until I die. I'd like to see Newmar be as excited about producing a coach with zero defects as I am about RVing.

The bottom line is if I purchased another Newmar it would be a highline coach (the Aire line). The two year warrenty is a must. I would also purchase the extended service plan offered by several companies. The present state of the coaches, for me the risk is too great not to have protection of some kind.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:26 AM   #11

YES We just took delivery on 2nd Newmar. Suggest you attend a FMCA rally where all mfg are on display and compare them side by side.
Aubie
Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #12

Greetings, We picked up our 07'essex the beginning of june,our second newmar,our first being an 05'dutch star.One of the main reasons i would buy another newmar is the quality of customer service you receive at the newmar facility in nappanee.There is a desire to correct problems with a can-do attitude.The coaches are built with an eye for craftmanship and quality that is not as common as it once was.We won't be buying again for awhile since the essex has what most bus conversions have for quite a bit less $$ and an incedible driving experience between the K2 chassis and comfort drive steering.I think the only improvement you could get is the K3 chassis which gives you the quality and build of prevost.Where we bought our essex they have had people buying essexes to replace their prevost busses because of the positive driving experience they found with newmar.Oh,did I mention all the great newmar owners we met while at newmar in nappanee,another good reason.If i did change brands i would consider upper end country coach or a newall.All things considerd though newmar has ehtics,quality and family ownership. That's it for now, Frank 2007 Essex 4104 NKK 17453 L
Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #13

I've had my KS DP for just about a year -- picked it up at the end of last September. I've actually had a bunch of problems, almost all of them mechanical. The levelers went out, and had to replace both boards. The furnace went out, twice, with different problems. The Sirius radio had to be replaced. A kitchen light fixture had to be dealt with, twice. The power management system died, and wouldn't allow shore power through, right during a heat wave. And then, at the same time, the transfer switch died, so I couldn't use the generator, either, for the AC. The thermostat went out, and I suspect there's still something wrong with the AC units, although we can't find anything.

Would I buy another KS DP? Yes. They've all got problems, but these kinds of things can get fixed. Overall, the fit and finish is really quite good, and that's the kind of thing that can't be repaired that easily.

BUT -- with all the mechanical problems I've had, I certainly do wish that the 3 year warranty was still in effect. And I wish I had the comfort steering! <G>
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well Aridon, you surely know how to open a can of worms!

We have had our signature coach since October of 2006, and so far have had over 70 line item repairs done, both at dealers and at the factory. And we have another appt at the factory to get more work done on our way home.

Most of these repairs have been minor fixes; but not all. We are on our third refrigerator (and this is why we are going back - we now have a water leak at the back of it)! Second washing machine after 6 visits from the 'friendly non-Maytag repair man'.

So, would I buy another Newmar now - probably not, at least not if they stay with the 2 year warranty. I am hopeful we will get all issues resolved in that time, but I am not confident at this point. And a one year warranty is just flat out unacceptable.

The way we are going, it appears our travel plans for the next year will be dictated more by when we have to go to Nappanee before the warranty runs out, rather than where WE would like to go. And it shouldn't be that way.

Our previous coach was a 2003 KSDP that had hardly no repairs done in the 3 years we owned it. Kinda' wish we had it back again.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote