RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #1

I was just reading February's Family Motor Coaching. on page 74, the new Featherlite Vantare, all 53,220 lbs. with full tanks. Only problem is, the maximum allowable weight is 54,500 lbs. That leaves only 1280 lbs. for people and stuff.
I do however see even more problem. The 54,500 is made up of three axles, 18k front (that's light, Prevost has a 20k) 22,5K drive axle and a 14k tag. Problem is the drive axle is 2.5k over the legal bridge axle weight.

I would imagine even Jetsmania's hot dogs and BarBQ would tip that bad boy over the scale just going to a game.

So, I guess money does not buy carrying capacity. She's a ripe $1,757,239.00

Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #2

I was just reading February's Family Motor Coaching. on page 74, the new Featherlite Vantare, all 53,220 lbs. with full tanks. Only problem is, the maximum allowable weight is 54,500 lbs. That leaves only 1280 lbs. for people and stuff.
I do however see even more problem. The 54,500 is made up of three axles, 18k front (that's light, Prevost has a 20k) 22,5K drive axle and a 14k tag. Problem is the drive axle is 2.5k over the legal bridge axle weight.

I would imagine even Jetsmania's hot dogs and BarBQ would tip that bad boy over the scale just going to a game.

So, I guess money does not buy carrying capacity. She's a ripe $1,757,239.00

Peter

Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #3

Peter, how would my lizard woman transport her shoes? Maybe UPS day-a-head delivery. Maybe I would have to go on a diet.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #4

John, If Pam catches you with that **Lizard woman, you'll need a new skin.
The amazing thing, is they mention the payload of only 1280 lbs. in not only the spec's but in the article too, both just as a matter of fact. I wouldn't be waving that around. This, by the way is an H3-45 Prevost shell build.
Just another reason for me not to run out and get me one.

** That would be The Luscious Lovely Louisiana Lizard Lady.

Peter
Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would imagine even Jetsmania's hot dogs and BarBQ would tip that bad boy over the scale just going to a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Peter! This post just kinda of slipped past. We test drove a 2008 Prevost Marathon in Tampa. The weight issue is a problem for all of the convertors. As they add more slides they have to use less marble, etc. and more carpet, and wood. Remember they start out as passenger buses. We looked at a 4 slide Prevost (will not tell the name) and were infomed that the washer and dryer do not come with the bus. They have it prewired and plumbed but will not install it. The reason is, it will put the bus over the weight limit. (true story) They will ship the washer & dryer to you to install after delivery so that you can put it over the limit. The Prevost's we played with are jaw dropping machines! They just need to lighten up the units for us Tailgate Fans, and raise the horse power (those 525 HP Detroits with 3 alternators don't move to well) With that said Newmar offers a NCC of aprox 5600 lb on 40' Dutch Star and a whopping 12,000 0n the 43' DSDP, a NCC of aprox 8200 lb on the Mountain Aire, aprox 6800 lb on the Essex, and aprox 9600 lb on the King Aire (washer and dryers included ) Paul
Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">! This post just kinda of slipped past. We test drove a 2008 Prevost Marathon in Tampa. The weight issue is a problem for all of the convertors. As they add more slides they have to use less marble, etc. and more carpet, and wood. Remember they start out as passenger buses. We looked at a 4 slide Prevost (will not tell the name) and were infomed that the washer and dryer do not come with the bus. They have it prewired and plumbed but will not install it. The reason is, it will put the bus over the weight limit. (true story) They will ship the washer & dryer to you to install after delivery so that you can put it over the limit. The Prevost's we played with are jaw dropping machines! They just need to lighten up the units for us Tailgate Fans, and raise the horse power (those 525 HP Detroits with 3 alternators don't move to well) With that said Newmar offers a NCC of aprox 5600 lb on 40' Dutch Star and a whopping 12,000 0n the 43' DSDP, a NCC of aprox 8200 lb on the Mountain Aire, aprox 6800 lb on the Essex, and aprox 9600 lb on the King Aire (washer and dryers included ) Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, 9600 lbs? A tail gate party? And what if the Jets actually win? Cocktails will use up at least 80% of that. But, of course the magic word is, win. Maybe, it will do you.

Peter
Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And what if the Jets actually win? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Peter! What are you crazy?? You missed the big number. Over 12,000 lbs NCC on the 43' Dutch Star! Can you imagine! I never realized that my buddy Super B could carry so much weight! I guess he can go off his diet! Paul
Old 03-09-2008, 05:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
John, If Pam catches you with that **Lizard woman, you'll need a new skin.
The amazing thing, is they mention the payload of only 1280 lbs. in not only the spec's but in the article too, both just as a matter of fact. I wouldn't be waving that around. This, by the way is an H3-45 Prevost shell build.
Just another reason for me not to run out and get me one.

** That would be The Luscious Lovely Louisiana Lizard Lady.

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck! That just makes 1,757,240 reasons why I won't get one

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote