Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wrangler unlimited toad problem

We seem to be having differential issues with our Jeep. It only has 10,000 miles driving and maybe 8000 towed. Anyone else having problems?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No...
26k miles driving and 20k+ miles towed... and when changed tires/wheels/etc...

good luck - it is under warranty !
Old 01-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You are flat towing it correct? I have seen some RV drivers that tow it on a dolly!!
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYRV View Post
We seem to be having differential issues with our Jeep. It only has 10,000 miles driving and maybe 8000 towed. Anyone else having problems?
What kinda issues are you having?? Rear axle?
I have no problems towing my JK.........
Old 01-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flat towing.
They found water in the rear diff oil after we got back from our factory delivery. The gears were trashed so they put new gears in. We are getting the same noise again that we had before. Very frustrated because it is a perfect vehicle for us to tow.
Wanted to see if our issue is isolated or are others having problems as well. Ours is 2015.

Thanks for the replies so far
Old 01-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Flat towing.
They found water in the rear diff oil after we got back from our factory delivery. The gears were trashed so they put new gears in. We are getting the same noise again that we had before. Very frustrated because it is a perfect vehicle for us to tow.
Wanted to see if our issue is isolated or are others having problems as well. Ours is 2015.

Thanks for the replies so far
Did they speculate on how the water got in there Bill?? There are only a couple of places that I know of, 2 axle seals, pinion seal, and the axle vent.
The Jeep's are the #1 off road vehicle and have been for decades.....and a lot of them are in/under water on a regular basis........
I have never read/heard of the problem you are having, and have to wonder if the problem you are having now is due to a bad install of the ring&pinion gears..........
Old 01-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think that the water was in there since delivery because the noise that I had always heard went away with the repair.....
We don't offroad or go into water so it is baffling.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another thing....shifting the transfer case is an adventure. The dealer tried it and said that I had to roll it a little to facilitate the engaging if we couldn't shift it back into 2 wheel.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Another thing....shifting the transfer case is an adventure. The dealer tried it and said that I had to roll it a little to facilitate the engaging if we couldn't shift it back into 2 wheel.
Mine is/was also a little hard to operate into towing mode......it is getting easier as it is used and moved.
Another thought, if water is getting in, I would think you would see the differential oil leaking out...........any signs of leaking oil?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:

That's pretty normal, you can drive forward or backwards a little to help get it lined up properly. DO NOT force it into neutral or back into gear. That shift lever is connected to the shift cable by a plastic bushing that can break. It's DIY changeable but it's difficult to get to.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
I think that the water was in there since delivery because the noise that I had always heard went away with the repair.....
We don't offroad or go into water so it is baffling.
We're looking to upgrade our 2001 Wrangler so I'm very interested in this thread. Did I miss-read something but did Post #5 say that the noise was still there even after the repair?

Have to agree with palehorse in #6 as I had been told by a GM dealer several years ago that it's very difficult to get the right setting between the ring gear and pinion gear. I had a new Pontiac that had a slight whine up around 50-60 MPH and they agreed to repair it, BUT they claimed it could be just as noisy afterwards and wouldn't be covered for any further warranty. Decided not to take the risk and drove it for over 60,000 miles with it getting any better or any worse.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
We're looking to upgrade our 2001 Wrangler so I'm very interested in this thread. Did I miss-read something but did Post #5 say that the noise was still there even after the repair?
No the noise I thought was normal went away. It has started to come back recently....more aware of that noise since the repair!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Wagonmaster -- if you are looking to upgrade your toad, and are still a Jeep fan, consider the Grand Cherokee. Weights are not much different and prepping the GC for tow is a matter of pushing a button.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
Wagonmaster -- if you are looking to upgrade your toad, and are still a Jeep fan, consider the Grand Cherokee. Weights are not much different and prepping the GC for tow is a matter of pushing a button.
Since we can't find a color in the Wrangler we'd really like we've thought about looking at the GC but it's wheel base is longer than a 2Dr Wrangler, overall length is longer, and turning radius is greater. We like to get on some of the Colorado Jeep trails and if we have to turn around the trails are generally less wide than a very narrow one-lane country road. And the road clearance of the GC is less than the Wrangler. Has been a hard decision for us, considering both styles.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad